Cobalt is out! Pre-order (20%OFF)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
bictor
User Level VII
User Level VII

Re: Cobalt is out! Pre-order (20%OFF)

Post by bictor » Wed May 31, 2017 2:27 am

Ive got a question about the eq2 sidechain... how does its supposed to work?

With EQ1 perfect, i make the boost and the cuts and i can hear them, but with eq2 sidechain i don't hear any cut or boost when i make them. Is this normal?

Anyway when pressing the button of DynEQ all changes in an absolute amazing way, you have to play with the threshold and the range to feel it.

What a tool!! I will buy it for sure but I'm wondering about what is happening with the eq2 sidechain. Im in Logic x 10.2
Sand, Honey, Navy, Pink, Purple, PS Mix, PS Curve, PS Comp II, Cobalt, Emerald, White, Scarlet, Caribou, Pink Compressors, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral, Cobalt

mathias
Expert
Expert

Post by mathias » Wed May 31, 2017 2:52 am

you won't hear anything with eq2 in the sidechain, eq-wise.

it only changes what is fed to the compressor sidechain, which means it alters how the compressor reacts to the audio by emphasizing or demphasizing frequencies.

the only thing you will hear is a different compression-behaviour. for example, when cutting lows with eq-2, you can influence how the compressor reacts to kick-drums.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude pro x3, waveform 9 (tracktion), reaper
system 2: mac osx el capitan - reaper(64bit), waveform 9 (64bit), mixbus 6

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Wed May 31, 2017 3:18 am

Well, not sure if I'm using it correctly. It is not easy, but fun to learn.

I'm compressing the drum bus. I want to tame the snare without messing with the kick, for example. What seems to work now for me is to use the EQ2 to cut all the lows, and increase the Presence band on the frequency that brings up the snare. I don't engage neither the DynamEq button nor the In button on EQ2, just the compressor.

Still learning, but seems very useful.

malekmusic
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by malekmusic » Wed May 31, 2017 5:08 am

no pink sidechain on the compressor module???? zaphod said its going to have it... :roll:

please tell me it has it!

phopho
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by phopho » Wed May 31, 2017 7:27 am

Will The Weirdo wrote:After spending time to learn Cobalt, I feel the comp is the finest ITB stereo buss comp I've used to date. It's replaced Coral on my 2 buss..... and I did not think that would be possible, but I can still see using coral for other buss work with Sand on the drum buss. I love the high EQ boost and cut, so smooth and open in a special way, and the low is good too. I've yet to fully understand the Dynamic EQ for my work, it may just not be a tool for me.

One year ago I had issues with Acqua's top end and their compressors..... today I love their compressors and the tone is killer for digital audio. Great job AA, now lets nail meters, modulation and distortion!!

As I've said before, we work in great times.
Same Here !!!
Did several tests... i used to set coral comp on my master buss...but know i'll use Cobalt compressor with no hesitations. Stereo image is bigger, more 3D dimension feeling at hearing, but i am still in love with Coral for sure.

tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by tumburu » Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 am

Man, this thing is so good. The dynamic eq is the gem. This and Gold are some of the most exquisite plugins on the market!

silain
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by silain » Wed May 31, 2017 9:40 am

Hello,

love this release. :) One question: Do you have the same experiences with some knobs jumping around? Sometimes they are not very good animated? Try the attack knob of the compressor and you know what i mean. cheers

bictor
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by bictor » Wed May 31, 2017 9:43 am

mathias wrote:you won't hear anything with eq2 in the sidechain, eq-wise.

it only changes what is fed to the compressor sidechain, which means it alters how the compressor reacts to the audio by emphasizing or demphasizing frequencies.

the only thing you will hear is a different compression-behaviour. for example, when cutting lows with eq-2, you can influence how the compressor reacts to kick-drums.
Ok, thanks for your answer, now i understand it much better.
Sand, Honey, Navy, Pink, Purple, PS Mix, PS Curve, PS Comp II, Cobalt, Emerald, White, Scarlet, Caribou, Pink Compressors, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral, Cobalt

Kamui76
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by Kamui76 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:06 am

Giancarlo, sorry to insist, are these request possible?
I think they would be quite usefull and guess not that hard to include (maybe I'm wrong)
Kamui76 wrote:I already asked this on GS, but here I go again.

Since both EQ and Comp modules are dual mono, could you please consider to add M/S operation option for both of them? That would be awesome.

And now a new request. :mrgreen:

About DynEq module, I would add only two things:

1 - Listening option on the sidechain path (obvious reasons)

2 - Invert mode option in the triggering action; that is, the eq is full active if there is no compression on the sidechain path and starts decreasing its action as soon as the sidechain signal reaches the threshold.

An example: You are mastering a track that needs a general low end lift. You do it and you are happy with it, but when the bass drum hits, there is maybe too much...
With invert mode this could be corrected very easily setting the sidechain to trigger the compressor with the bass drum hits and thus decreasing the low end lift only when it is too much.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Wed May 31, 2017 1:46 pm

Maybe in cobalt2

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Wed May 31, 2017 3:14 pm

So, I’ve been messing with the DynEq. Let me see if I understood it correctly.

Eq2 will always be a SC eq, it shapes the signal that goes to the compressor. In this test I’m using it in the drum bus with a simple loop. With the Eq2 I make the compressor reacts only to the snare, something like 6db of reduction, fast attack and moderate fast release.

Activating the DynEq button, and changing the range from 0 to something else (range on 0 is the same thing as the DynEq off?), all the adjust that I make on the EQ1 will apply only to the snare (the part of the loop that is triggering the compressor), is that right?

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Wed May 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Yes, the more I use, the more I understand and love Cobalt.

I told myself that I would not buy another AA plugin this soon, but what the heck, today is my birthday and this will be a gift to myself.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Wed May 31, 2017 6:27 pm

it's the right time!

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Wed May 31, 2017 6:27 pm

gus_vccs wrote:So, I’ve been messing with the DynEq. Let me see if I understood it correctly.

Eq2 will always be a SC eq, it shapes the signal that goes to the compressor. In this test I’m using it in the drum bus with a simple loop. With the Eq2 I make the compressor reacts only to the snare, something like 6db of reduction, fast attack and moderate fast release.

Activating the DynEq button, and changing the range from 0 to something else (range on 0 is the same thing as the DynEq off?), all the adjust that I make on the EQ1 will apply only to the snare (the part of the loop that is triggering the compressor), is that right?
yes

drezz
Expert
Expert

Post by drezz » Wed May 31, 2017 9:20 pm

To UK folks. Hit me up for Cobalt discount coupons. :)

Gotta say it again, but the high end and the compressor absolutely stealing the show here.............. :) Can't wipe the smile off my face............ :D