GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
Beatworld
Member
Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:36 am
Location: Perth

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by Beatworld » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:26 am

ceemusic wrote:Tonight I started working with the strip for the first time. I just noticed you can level up it up all the way if you want, the needle will never go past 0bd!

I can't believe this. AA's metering has been like this forever.
Is accurate metering just not just not doable using your technology?

I was hoping it would be remedied by now. The plugins sound so good but issues like this make it appear very amateurish. Please before releasing any more plugins work on the metering! Believe me you'd benefit from it!
It is truly bizarre that on the strip you can crank make up gain on the comp to max and add Input to max and both meters do not go past 0db.

Like no other meters on the planet.

ceemusic
Member
Member
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:42 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by ceemusic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:37 am

Beatworld wrote:
ceemusic wrote:Tonight I started working with the strip for the first time. I just noticed you can level up it up all the way if you want, the needle will never go past 0bd!

I can't believe this. AA's metering has been like this forever.
Is accurate metering just not just not doable using your technology?

I was hoping it would be remedied by now. The plugins sound so good but issues like this make it appear very amateurish. Please before releasing any more plugins work on the metering! Believe me you'd benefit from it!
It is truly bizarre that on the strip you can crank make up gain on the comp to max and add Input to max and both meters do not go past 0db.

Like no other meters on the planet.
Yeah, I was working on a drum mix getting my levels using the strips meter. I got it peaking at 0db so I say fine, kept increasing, meters still peaking at 0. Keep raising the output to fully cranked- still peaking at 0!

For plugins where proper gain staging is so crucial I would think the metering would be accurate as hell. AA's are without a doubt the worse I've ever encountered!

User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by giancarlo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:22 am

Yes maybe they overload at zero dB
Don't peak at zero, that zero is not 0 dBu but a 0 dBFS
Maybe we'll calibrate meters if a different way there

Catalin.B
User Level II
User Level II
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:41 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by Catalin.B » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:50 am

giancarlo wrote:Yes maybe they overload at zero dB
Don't peak at zero, that zero is not 0 dBu but a 0 dBFS
Maybe we'll calibrate meters if a different way there
Hi Giancarlo,

I have a suggestion that i think it will make the gain staging much easier for all of us.
Make a good reliable input meter on every plugin and calibrate it to hit 0 at what value is optimal for that particular unit, it doesn't matter if it's -18dbfs,-10 dbfs, -18 rms or whatever.
This way we will all know that in order to obtain an optimal level, the meter should hit around 0.
An input and output trim will be needed also.

User avatar
robschroeder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:02 am
Location: Crailsheim, Germany
Contact:

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by robschroeder » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:02 am

giancarlo wrote:Yes maybe they overload at zero dB
Don't peak at zero, that zero is not 0 dBu but a 0 dBFS
Maybe we'll calibrate meters if a different way there
That's what I thought wenn I saw the meters. But it is confusing as there is written VU on them but the scale is dBFS.

User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by giancarlo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 am

Luckily we don't have many products based on meters this year
But this is something I have in my plans. Both acqua and nebula will have something decent. Sorry if the priority is not as much high as it should be, but there are urgent things to fix (website, delivery) and several things heavily requested
In 2016 we improved knobs, during 2017 we'll improve meters
Yes preamp meters should be set to -18, not zero. We decided to set the zero point because the original devices are used often above the 0dBu. We could change it thought

User avatar
be a gorilla
Member
Member
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by be a gorilla » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:10 am

giancarlo wrote:Luckily we don't have many products based on meters this year
But this is something I have in my plans. Both acqua and nebula will have something decent. Sorry if the priority is not as much high as it should be, but there are urgent things to fix (website, delivery) and several things heavily requested
In 2016 we improved knobs, during 2017 we'll improve meters
Yes preamp meters should be set to -18, not zero. We decided to set the zero point because the original devices are used often above the 0dBu. We could change it thought
yes please set them to -18!

Mannymac
Member
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:32 am

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by Mannymac » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:35 am

-18 as a standard for all acqua and nebula would make things sooooo much easier

Mannymac
Member
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:32 am

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by Mannymac » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:35 am

-18 as a standard for all acqua and nebula would make things sooooo much easier

Jackanory
User Level II
User Level II
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by Jackanory » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:45 pm

YES plus one on this please !!!

lubomba
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by lubomba » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:50 pm

-18 and this should never change from plugin to plugin. Also leaving out the input trim guys... This inconsistency is really annoying :roll:

lubomba
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by lubomba » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Also 2 MAJOR PRIORITIES in my opinion should be

1. No beeping noise when you overload preamps. Please find a different solution. Sound muted plus red led or something... Even a simple clipper

2. The huge noise bursts. I mean besides being DANGEROUS as f*ck, it is simply unacceptable for a professional plugin. Man really! This is a more than serious flaw and must be really off-putting for new customers. I'm kind of used to it, but still sometimes I forget to set up a protection and seriously hurt my ears, speakers and headphones - W T F !?!?!

User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11215
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by giancarlo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:30 pm

A worked a whole day with gold yesterday without a single issue
We'll try to emulate your issue

About point 1, we have it at single sub instance level but we often disable it because several usage constraints. This is part of what we have doing for years and the solution costs huge development efforts. Sorry for that, this is a drawback of our approach. If everything was perfect other developers would be in trouble!

User avatar
rossharvey
User Level X
User Level X
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by rossharvey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:35 pm

+1000 on -18 meters. That should never (ever) change between Nebula and Acquas. Consistency is the core of professionalism.

For the high volume spike, use the gold strip with pre engaged and comp with a reasonably high GR. Have a silent bar or so in your track - when the sound kicks in, the volume will spike uncontrollably. Try it on drum bus.

I had to stop using Gold for this reason. I was running it alongside SAND.

reggiejaxx
User Level X
User Level X
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:09 am

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by reggiejaxx » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Are you f'ing kidding me literally just using my headphones on my laptop demoing Gold, un bipassed an instance of the Gold comp,nearly deafened myself......the loudest noise blast...i had experienced noise bursts with a few others including violet recently but this is ridiculous now.I'm so f'ing angry.This crap is dangerous and once again who the hell is not catching this during beta testing or why is it being allowed out before these bugs are fixed..bad or no metering is one thing Dangerous audio bursts are another.

Post Reply