Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
Kamui76
User Level IX
User Level IX

Re: Pink 7236 & 2412

Post by Kamui76 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Kamui76 wrote:Congratulations guys!!!

Both of them sound reeeeeeeally good.
The combination of Shmod and Sidechain controls brings endless possibilities and amazing control. Also the Program dependant release works wonders. LOVE IT!!!

I noticed that the gain reduction meters are not working as they should on both models. Even when you can hear a clear gain reduction, the meters don't work at all.
But then, if you increase make up gain, the meters start to display reduction. The more you push, the more it displays, so I guess the metering point is not where it should be.

I agree with other users about the input control. I prefer an output compensated one.
I'd also like bigger gain reduction meters, or at least with better resolution at smaller values.

About the make up gain range I also think it is excesive, specially on 7236.
I think it would be more usefull with smaller ranges, or at least, again, with better resolution at smaller values.

Hope this helps to improve.

Again, congratulations. Great job with these two little monsters and the new technology debeloped for them.
Am I the only one with these metering issues?

Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Thierr7 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:21 pm

I don't have metering issues ...

- Congrats for these beautiful releases !

- The only minus point i found is about Ratio ; On both versions , I would have liked a more "Violent" behaviour with high settings ; this would benefit for a better "Pumping" effect imho ... I don't know if it's something doable for you guys ?

- Both are really great sounding Compressors and so versatile otherwise ...

Thanks to the coupon that makes it a great deal !

Bought ! :? :lol:

PS : No need for Algos final Comp/Limiter since "Amethyst2" that is great news :D

be a gorilla

Post by be a gorilla » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:29 pm

giancarlo wrote:we avoid input trim for specific issues which arise with input trim (gain spikes, which force us to fade in/out a bit)
r
can you explain more? Thought this could be easy because you Already did on Some aquas

best Regards

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:34 pm

in our architecture input trim is compensated in two different instances, so syncrhonization of them has a cost
Basically we are avoiding issues, we are trying to make this compressor fast and simple

kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by kindafishy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Any chance for an output trim, G? I really don't want to have to follow this with a different volume plugin.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:56 pm

input trim is just compensated by an output trim. You could use makeup and/or output volume knob. Why do you need a different volume plugin?

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Thierr7 wrote:I don't have metering issues ...

- Congrats for these beautiful releases !

- The only minus point i found is about Ratio ; On both versions , I would have liked a more "Violent" behaviour with high settings ; this would benefit for a better "Pumping" effect imho ... I don't know if it's something doable for you guys ?

- Both are really great sounding Compressors and so versatile otherwise ...

Thanks to the coupon that makes it a great deal !

Bought ! :? :lol:

PS : No need for Algos final Comp/Limiter since "Amethyst2" that is great news :D
yes...but it was sampled. We are not inventing anything there!

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:23 pm

chrisarvan wrote:
markgalup wrote:
chrisarvan wrote:I was expectiing 7236 to be cpu intensive, but 2412 is much to cpu intensive as well to be used as a mixing tool unfortunately for me.

Orginal Pink, Navy, Honey 2 work great as mixing tools. This sounds great, but I can't even get one instance of 2412 to work in a full mix on the stereo buss without crapping out. 7236 and 2412 are almost as cpu intensive as Scarlet 3.
What is your buffer set to? Dynamic plugin processing on or off? Hyperthreading on or off? Disk Cache? And what sample rate?
buffer setting: 512 or 1024
tried with Dynamic Plug-in processing both on and off...off seems better but does not make much difference.
Disc Cache: 3gigs

this is pretty much the best compressor ever. Hope it can be optimized a bit more or something.

ok we worked all the day long to cpu load.
On all computers we tried cpu load is the same both in pink strip and in pink compressor (keeping SC off). It is slighly lower in pink strip, but very slighly. That compressor is not program dependant, it doesn't feature SHMOD and so on. So the little increment is reasonable.

We tried to debug denormals as much as possible, and to remove all wasted cpu cycles. We'll upload a new trial version tomorrow. If even this one is more cpu intensive open a ticket, we'll investigate better your system specs and we'll try to understand the reason. All people who tried it didn't experience an increment in cpu load at all

kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by kindafishy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:55 pm

giancarlo wrote:input trim is just compensated by an output trim. You could use makeup and/or output volume knob. Why do you need a different volume plugin?
An output volume knob would be fine. I don't see it on the 2412, where is it?

I had this on my mix bus yesterday and I raised the input trim to get the meters working and so that I could set a 'reasonable' threshold, but now the output was waaaaaay louder than what was initially going into the plugin of course. No way to A/B the before and after without using a follow up plugin to reduce the volume back down to the same level.

Other stuff happens too that you won't be able to make up for in any sort of an automated way if you already have or were planning for compensation. For example, increasing shmod really increases the apparent loudness obviously. A way to manually adjust so our ears tell us that there are no differences would be great. I have never heard automated compensation that works properly in practice.

I think an easy solution would be to allow the Makeup gain knob go both + and -. Simple, and requires no more space on the interface.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:23 pm

kindafishy wrote:
giancarlo wrote:input trim is just compensated by an output trim. You could use makeup and/or output volume knob. Why do you need a different volume plugin?

I had this on my mix bus yesterday and I raised the input trim to get the meters working and so that I could set a 'reasonable' threshold, but now the output was waaaaaay louder than what was initially going into the plugin of course. No way to A/B the before and after without using a follow up plugin to reduce the volume back down to the same level.

Other stuff happens too that you won't be able to make up for in any sort of an automated way if you already have or were planning for compensation. For example, increasing shmod really increases the apparent loudness obviously. A way to manually adjust so our ears tell us that there are no differences would be great. I have never heard automated compensation that works properly in practice.

I think an easy solution would be to allow the Makeup gain knob go both + and -. Simple, and requires no more space on the interface.
makeup gain is your output knob! It has only positive ranges since using a compressor you are lowering gain.Why do you should reduce it?
meter in is NOT ok... wait for next release... I think you don't need to raise the gain too much if meters are working!

kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by kindafishy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:58 pm

giancarlo wrote:makeup gain is your output knob! It has only positive ranges since using a compressor you are lowering gain.Why do you should reduce it?
meter in is NOT ok... wait for next release... I think you don't need to raise the gain too much if meters are working!
Okay, G. Will wait for an update. Maybe it was just over the meters. Thanks for the conversation!

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:14 pm

yes! let's evaluate it just after the fix... I'm not for a "yes" or a "no". We can still plan or change little things like this one.

chrisarvan
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by chrisarvan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:16 pm

giancarlo wrote:
kindafishy wrote:

makeup gain is your output knob! It has only positive ranges since using a compressor you are lowering gain.Why do you should reduce it?
??? I don't understand how you guys could not see the absolute necessity of needing to be able to reduce the output level.

Not everybody wants to nuke their track with compression. That would be the only way to reduce the level enough with compression to not need to attenuate the output. OR - For subtle settings on a master, you would need to send such a hot level into it in the first place it would be terrible gain staging on the mix buss.

With the settings I am using with 2412 I can barely get it to do any compression with the threshold completely to the left at -46. The only option then is to add level with the input control or mix at a hotter level, which I do not want to do. The output is way higher out of the plug-in than the bypass level then because you can't trim it internally.
Last edited by chrisarvan on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Completely agreed. In such a critical spot such as mixbuss or mastering, output trim is a necessity. I understand that you are considering the code efficiency, but for such a phenomenal endeavor like 7236/2412, you should make an already amazing compressor into a perfect plugin by adding output trim ;)

Thanks for all of your hard work!
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

poshook
User Level V
User Level V

Post by poshook » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:30 pm

I got the email form AA with 15% discount for 2412 compressor which I already purchased with Pink channel strip? So I sould pay another 83 Euro for the same thing just for having smaller GUI and saving more RAM currently occupied by EQ section? :shock:

Ok, it is your business policy but someone starts to get greedy to me...
Mac Pro 12-Core, OS X 10.2.3, 32GB RAM, GTX970, Apogee DUET FW, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Trinity, Titanium, Pink, Red, Ochre, Orange, SAND, Gold