jfjer379
Expert
Expert

CORE7 add new CPU optimisations only for last Intel's CPUs

Post by jfjer379 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:18 am

My main concern is the aqua line right now
and i really hope support will chime in on this thread to clarify it
i think the users have the right to know
and hopefully the news is good compared to nebula core7 :)

i asked the question to the acustica support yesterday
i wanted to know what gain in performance i would get if i upgraded nebula3 pro to the server edition

here is the answer from Acustica :

it will depends on a lot of factors. Nebula3 Server is CORE6 ready and will be also CORE7 ready. Nebula3 Server has RAM sharing feature and you will save RAM but not CPU if you don't have Intel i7/i5 generation 4/5. CORE7 will add new CPU optimizations for lasted Intel's CPUs

i dont seeing that this depends on a lot of factors, the only factor i see is what cpu you have

since i got a mac mini late 2012 i7 ivy bridge 3rd generation
it seems there is not mush to gain from upgrading actually,
i have still not had a ram problem and core 7 will not gain any power optimisation either sadly
as explained you have to have latest intel cpu`s to gain something from core7

is a little disappointing news that an almost 3 years old computer which im not considering as very old already is outdated for core7 (and even core 6 when it comes to nebula)
but what to do, i cant move away from my LPX so i have to stick to my mac

i really dont hope this apply to the aquas to but i have a suspicion it does
I7 5820k • RME • Audient • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • El Rey • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory • Lemon • Lime • Magenta • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Ruby • Sand • Tapue • Titanium • Virgo • White2 • N3s • N4

jorismak
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: CORE7 add new CPU optimisations only for last Intel's CP

Post by jorismak » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:14 am

disclaimer: I'm speculating here, I'm not Acustica, I have no solid knowledge on what goes on under the hood except what I _guess_ is going on with the knowledge of being a coder.

It just means they add extra code paths for things like AVX2 and other new tech Intel is putting in it's new CPU lines. That is why they recommend at least a Haswell for their latest Nebula and Acquas for instance, because AVX2 actually adds a bit extra separate from the small increases in performance-per-clocktick that Haswell gives anyway.

So if you buy something now, make it Haswell or newer, since, well, AVX2 actually means _a bit_ for Nebula.

I didn't read yet what new features Core7 will bring to the table, but if it's ONLY optimization paths for newer CPUs I would be surprised. Normally that is not a reason to bump a new 'major' version number. But on the other hand, I didn't see a place where I clearly can read what is new in Core7.
Now, if they added new features that would improve CPU by let's say 100% (so it would get twice as efficient) but it would only work on newer Intel CPU's because of the code path used.. that WOULD be a major new feature to bump a new version, but like I said I would be surprised. Normally the gains seen from this kind of special code path are within the 10% to 15% region.
Now don't underestimate 10-to-15 perfect, it can make a huge difference when loading lots of instances so it's still major... I just don't see it worth it to upgrade your entire system for, but that's me. If you're mixing/mastering for a living and you are limited by your current setup, now THAT is a reason to try to squeeze any performance out of a new version.

To be honest, I can't even remember what changed in Core6 compared to Core5. Mostly it are changes under the hood that allow more sampling options or better optimizations or stuff... but Nebula3 Pro (with the older core engine I believe) is still running fine here.

I wouldn't worry too much about which product uses which CORE version, _specially_ since you have no issues with the current setup as you say. Compatibility is more important, but if it runs and runs well, you're OK. Yes, it might run even more OK but I doubt that is worth the price of a new system.

The day Acustica found a way to get Nebula twice as efficient on the CPU or even more they would be screaming it from all the rooftops in Italy I imagine :), so until that happens, be realistic about the performance gains you might expect. 'Optimizations' seldomly give a night-and-day difference in performance.. but who knows, the coders here at Acustica have performed other miracles before :).

jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Post by jfjer379 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:54 pm

well i sent in the question to support by mail , did not got an answer
this is the first time i haven`t got an answer by support
im gonna ask support one more time if Aqua core7 will give full advantage if you only got 4/5 gen intel cpu`s
im not even sure if a 3rd gen i7 takes full advantage of core 6 Aqua`s since its not taking full advantage of the neb server core6
I7 5820k • RME • Audient • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • El Rey • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory • Lemon • Lime • Magenta • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Ruby • Sand • Tapue • Titanium • Virgo • White2 • N3s • N4

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:45 am

[email protected] wrote:well i sent in the question to support by mail , did not got an answer
this is the first time i haven`t got an answer by support
im gonna ask support one more time if Aqua core7 will give full advantage if you only got 4/5 gen intel cpu`s
im not even sure if a 3rd gen i7 takes full advantage of core 6 Aqua`s since its not taking full advantage of the neb server core6
We provide technical support through Dashboard ticket. Send only emails if you can not access to your Dashboard.
Best regards,
Acustica Audio help-desk service and support.
https://www.acustica-audio.com/
Acustica Audio is a trademark of Acusticaudio SRL.

To contact Acustica Audio support go to the ‘Support’ in your Acustica Audio account.
We do not provide support via social networks, public forums, Acustica Audio forums, or email accounts.