N4 confusion

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
mchillak
User Level VI
User Level VI

N4 confusion

Post by mchillak » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:30 am

Long time Nebula user here. I bought N4 as soon as it was released but i have since purchasing used it maybe twice. The reason being is I don't really understand the upgrade. Im not the type that loves searching through forums to figure out programs but I do love nebula so I did a bit of searching and couldnt find much about the difference from N3 other than the new Core 9 and better sound.

So I guess my question is how are people using N4? Have they just replaced N3 and are using it the same? Should I just install my libraries in my N4 folder and use that instead of N3 from now on?
If you are still using both what makes you choose N4 over N3 and vice versa?

I hope this post doesn't sound like I'm complaining I just don't understand what this update we've all been waiting for for so long actually does and how to start benefiting from it.

**I'm not the most technical person. To give you an idea it took me 2 years after purchasing Nebula to really get a workflow and some understanding of it down.**

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Re: N4 confusion

Post by RJHollins » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:45 am

I still need both Neb-3 and N-4, only due to previous projects that are all Neb-3.

If I'm back at an older project, I do consider swapping [with caution] ! I find that N-4 does sound better ... or should say, clearer/natural. Doing a 1:1 direct swap can end up with a different sound. Point in case ... I had some corrective EQ dealing with some low-mid muddiness ... using N-4, the 'correction' was not needed.

All new projects are fully N-4.

hope that helps.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

mathias
Expert
Expert

Post by mathias » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:42 am

first: keep everything N3 related as it is, so you can always switch over to N3 if things don't work out on first try.

if you have already installed N4, just begin with moving in a library you use often. copy the programfiles and vectorfiles from the N3 repository to the respective folders in your N4 repository. load N4 and try to load them.

make sure you have the newest update by checking in the dashboard.
n4 is stating its version number in the plugin itself at the top.
make yourself familiar with the new browser (via rightclick on the browser button you get the "old" browser).

i would encourage you to install the compressor pack from the n4 commercial library from the dashboard. there are some new compressors in there that are worth to check.

when you get a grip of n4 and things are stable on your system, copy all the libraries you use/need to n4 repository. if you can afford it (enough drivespace), keep both side by side. so can always switch back if things get wonky.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude pro x3, waveform 9 (tracktion), reaper
system 2: mac osx el capitan - reaper(64bit), waveform 9 (64bit), mixbus 6

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB

reggiejaxx
User Level X
User Level X

Post by reggiejaxx » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:56 am

mchillak wrote:Long time Nebula user here. I bought N4 as soon as it was released but i have since purchasing used it maybe twice. The reason being is I don't really understand the upgrade. Im not the type that loves searching through forums to figure out programs but I do love nebula so I did a bit of searching and couldnt find much about the difference from N3 other than the new Core 9 and better sound.

So I guess my question is how are people using N4? Have they just replaced N3 and are using it the same? Should I just install my libraries in my N4 folder and use that instead of N3 from now on?
If you are still using both what makes you choose N4 over N3 and vice versa?

I hope this post doesn't sound like I'm complaining I just don't understand what this update we've all been waiting for for so long actually does and how to start benefiting from it.

**I'm not the most technical person. To give you an idea it took me 2 years after purchasing Nebula to really get a workflow and some understanding of it down.**

Short answer ,use it exactly the same as you would nebula3.
There's no major change in workflow,cept there's no nebula setups or skin changes yet.
Soon you'll be able to load acqua plugins, but as for Nebula 3 libraries there's no change in workflow.

jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Post by jfjer379 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:09 pm

i don't feel ready to migrate to N4 yet as backwards compatibility has been broken twice already

it has been a buggy ride but so far N4 is just waiting in my computer

i really cant work without nebula setups after getting used to that workflow personally

i will migrate over to N4 when the timing is right
and N4 offers the same or more that i can do in N3 with N3 libs

some major updates like racking multiple acqua abilities ,3rd party N4 lib support and nebula setups integration might do the trick ;)

while i wait i will enjoy N3 and not think about N4

in short, im not replacing N3 anytime soon :)
I7 5820k • RME • Audient • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • El Rey • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory • Lemon • Lime • Magenta • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Ruby • Sand • Tapue • Titanium • Virgo • White2 • N3s • N4

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:38 pm

I will stay with aquas jfer. I did not understand how to install n4. Was to complex for me.

Hope they bring tape machine and reverb soon.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

mchillak
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by mchillak » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks for all your replies. My next question was about neb setups which reggiejaxx already answered. I'll probably stick to N3 a bit longer. Setups are way too important for my workflow right now.