Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
linkstate
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Ruby - Dw Fearn VT-5 equalizer TBR 26 Jan 2018

Post by linkstate » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:25 pm

giancarlo wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:18 am
there is a possible solution we are experimenting but we'll implement for sure in ruby2, not before.
I think you will see this solution implemented in march on a different product.
At the moment ruby is the state-of-art of what we can do, given those constraints
Pink 2 (fingers crossed)

DarkandKurious
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DarkandKurious » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 pm

giancarlo wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:18 am
there is a possible solution we are experimenting but we'll implement for sure in ruby2, not before.
I think you will see this solution implemented in march on a different product.
At the moment ruby is the state-of-art of what we can do, given those constraints
This is really good news. I love the tone and sculpting of this EQ, it is so easy to place any sound it it's own space, but I work mainly on headphones and the echo is obvious even on saxophone. I find myself compromising on settings simply to keep the delay to a minimum, which is a shame, because this EQ loves grand gestures as well as subtle ones.

Something I am wondering regarding these endorsed releases - will all future upgrades be complimentary to original purchasers, just like your own products? Or will Ruby2 require upgrade fees? It is something I haven't seen mentioned as your business model has started to include these endorsements.

I am still amazed at how your tech keeps advancing. I will have to push my mixing skills to keep up with the pace! :lol:
macOS Sierra, ProTools 12.8
Navy, Purple, Pink 2412/7236, Ultramarine, Coral, Lime, Pearl, Diamond, Gold, Cobalt, Ebony

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Finally had a chance to mix with Ruby. I ended up putting it on my master buss with the preamp not engaged. This thing sounds extremely, extremely sweet and very impressive. I have the Fearn VT-1, a M****y Pultec, and all the Acquas, and can honestly say that Ruby is clearly unique. I recently interchanged Purple for my M****y Pultec, and it sounded a bit better than my hardware... however, both had the quintessential upper-lower midrange glow - to my ears a sort of 700hz centered fullness. Ruby, however, sounds like it glows throughout the full spectrum - like a hyper broadband tube glow. Really euphonic.

Great work AA and thank you for the amazing tools!
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

kenbobplus3db
User Level X
User Level X

Post by kenbobplus3db » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Just noticed an engine update showed up in my Aquarius yesterday. Engine is now updateing to 1.4.210b.

I've already started using Ruby for some of my client work. Is there any risk that the engine update could change the sound of the plugin? If so, I'd rather wait to update.

ekkord
User Level V
User Level V

Post by ekkord » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:42 am

Soo... anyone compared this to Doc Fear or White?

Djani
User Level I
User Level I

Post by Djani » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:00 pm

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:04 am

kenbobplus3db wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 pm
Just noticed an engine update showed up in my Aquarius yesterday. Engine is now updateing to 1.4.210b.

I've already started using Ruby for some of my client work. Is there any risk that the engine update could change the sound of the plugin? If so, I'd rather wait to update.
no...

infomastering
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by infomastering » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:38 pm

I have compare Ruby to Ivory 3 Stereo EQ. Achieved results boosting tops and lows are the same or even slightly nicer with Ivory. Ivory has more bands as well.

I was doubting if to buy Ruby for 200 euro but had to compare. Magenta3 is not so nice on tops compared to both Ivory and Ruby.

So in the end if you have Ivory I don't see a point in Ruby for 200 Eur. If it was 50 euro I would buy just because it loads faster and is less CPU hog than Ivory.

Ruby is def great EQ, but how much better it can get than Ivory for example in terms of clean and sweet boosts?

Anyone else has made comparisons and has some feedback?

Cheers
Denis

ce1909

Post by ce1909 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 am

infomastering wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Anyone else has made comparisons and has some feedback?

Cheers
Denis
The eq is very nice but don't consider it a must have for my purpose esp. considering the price.
I used it on a few instrument tracks & it sounded good, didn't really care for the sound signature on the 2 bus which I was hoping it would shine.

Waiting for a new product to drop although I have many now that are going by the wayside.

Too many choices aren't necessarily a good thing. :D

hemd
User Level III
User Level III

Post by hemd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Yes, it is not cheap, but i worked with the trial and liked it a lot, and after i finished a stemmastering job with a band that sounded a bit muddy i bought it. Also i don't think that ruby could replace Ivory or vice versa, they sound very different to me, i like the combination Ruby on the subgroups and ivory on the master. And if i would use Ruby on the master i would turn off the preamp in most cases. But thats just my opinion.

infomastering
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by infomastering » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Yeah I liked it as well. And was about to buy and decided to do a comparison to be sure I get something special. So to me I can do same nice boosts and cuts and be more flexible with Ivory. So I will skip Ruby for now and see what future brings:)

Best!
D

abuzaynab
User Level X
User Level X

Post by abuzaynab » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:30 pm

flipnaut wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:43 pm
interesting... when i throw my bass (DI) into the plugin i hear a bit reverb or echo. Anyone else can hear it too?
I have a boost on a bass guitar at 60Hz at +12db. At +6 the reverb goes away.
Yeah, i'm hearing it too. I'm using Ruby on a simple bass drum and i'm getting a slight echo at +12 but not +6. A bit disappointing.

flipnaut
User Level I
User Level I

Post by flipnaut » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Well G. said there will be a solution... Perhaps put 2 Rubys behind each other with +6 db and you have the solution already :D

llesne
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by llesne » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:24 am

Ruby was not showing up in Aquarius so I installed it manually via the ".SER" procedure. It's working great. Very musical sound ! Love it !
iMac late 2013, 3.1 GHz Intel Core I7, 16 Go RAM, OSX 10.9.5 - Reaper 5.76 - Lynx Aurora (n) Thunderbolt

Nebula 3 Server, Navy, Ochre, White2, Tan, Gold, Charly Limited, Ruby, Amethyst, Lemon, Ebony, Pink 2 & more coming I guess...

kingslanemusic
User Level II
User Level II

Post by kingslanemusic » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:13 pm

I went through an intensive testing and shootout of Ruby, Azure, Cobalt and some older AA Eqs like Purple, Coral and Magenta.
Bought Ruby.
In times when we have access to dozens of hi quality plugins it's important for a new one to be different and "better" enough to justify a purchase.
Although Azure is great and more versatile i found it a bit bland.
Rubys high end paired with the lo mid cut is just something else, imo.
Also, best responsiveness and lowest cpu usage of all Acquas so far.
Pairs wonderfully with Magenta mid freqs, big thumps up !