Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
lipa

Re: Henry Olonga releases many new products!!!

Post by lipa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 am

i too couldn't decide which programs to buy first.. Then I got all of them haha..i sure use titan eq tape libs 2 5 and lots of NV gml releases to death. All of the sum bus libs too.. I'll be posting clips comparing a little bit all three bass libs soon (on Sunday or Monday)..also with TCS bass we have (trumpets...) the first henrys compressor release.. Its just light sampling (no control over settings) but works fine ;)

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:22 am

I got the TCS drum bus, G-20 master bus, and the G-20 bass chain.
Last edited by wagz on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 pm

wagz wrote:I got the TCS drum bus, G-20 master bus, and the G-20 mass chain.
Great choices. Enjoy them!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Tips of the year

Post by Henry Olonga » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:06 pm

A couple of tips for ya.

For wagz,

Bookmark this thread and check in every month. All new products are on sale for a month ( I may review that in the future ). So the best time to purchase is within a month of release - prices are silly. If you have missed out on the sales and want a lot of the presets just ask me for a coupon of 33 % off. You have to have £ 30 worth of stuff in your cart but after the discount you will pay around about £ 18 or so.

Now that I am beginning to accrue a pretty sizable inventory there may be some of you who may be wondering about a better workflow, especially if you want to stack lots of instances of Nebula. Well in this thread a while ago, I spent a weekend trying to figure out how to get better realtime performance with a lowly PC and a server.

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

My conclusions are below. So when you start to get a busy project and are running out of CPU - try the tip below. Works with or without a server by the way and should not change the mix too significantly - YMMV.

Edit one instance of the server plugin in your project and set it to Clean only in the master page ( Kernels ). set the DSP buffer to about 4000. Restart project. Experiment on your own machine and find your own middle ground for this. Some may get away with mixing with three kernels for example.YMMV based on how powerful your computer is. Mix in Realtime to your hearts content. Trust me - you probably won't run out of power any time soon if your server is as powerful as your main computer.

Once finished mixing, again edit one instance of the server plugin and any local plugins to Full Resolution in the master page of Nebula - Kernels setting is 10 ( 9th harmonic ). Restart the project and render. Figure out if you are happy - bear in mind that the render with harmonics will sound somewhat smoother, fuller and more 3D etc so when making mix buss plugin decisions bear that in mind.

Alternatively in the case of Presets that are preamp/DI or channel strips only; in other words without eq based tweaks, then you can use Reaper's excellent 'Batch File/item convertor' and render all your tracks using the batch process choosing your FX accordingly. Does it one at a time mind you but at least you will have pre-renders that give you that large console sound at full quality and the mixes will come together quicker. The TCS Full strip comes to mind for this and will give excellent results on any mix.( Don't forget to turn the kernels to full prior to rendering if you have used the other method before. he he he :D ) You can then use the other other method to then mix your final mix in real time without the need to have too many instances per channel.Then Busses and sub groups become your friend. Finally go back to full kernels at render time.

Another thing to consider is to just focus on Busses , subgroups and the master bus. What I am about to suggest is all from my own personal experience so take is as my subjective humble opinion. Perhaps the weakest link in ITB mixing many feel is the Master bus. One reason these summing boxes became very popular is because perhaps folk felt that there was a weakness in this vital stage of math that is calculated prior to hitting your D to A. Nebula provides a nice answer. So,in other words - instead of trying to have a whole mix of Nebula on every track in real time - pre-render your files with whatever falvour you want and then just focus on carving the sound of the whole mix in groups and finally the master bus. Use Preamps, DIs and bus outputs on the stems. For example if you want the N**e sound perhaps it's as simple as just adding a preamp on the Master Bus or a sub group. Then every instrument going through it will have 'that' character. In fact it is a good way to hear what a preset does - put it on a whole mix. Bypassing usually makes it very clear. Sometimes bland sounding pres may sound transparent on one instrument but you get the feel on a whole mix - a good example of this is the AV 737 preamp which is actually quite characterless on an individual instrument but on a whole mix just comes alive exciting those parts of the spectrum that an instrument doesn't reach. Use more than one if it is too subtle. That way you save CPU cycles and still get the sound you desire quickly without needing a state of the art 'Google server like' super computer.
Job done. See ya :D

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:44 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zkogn0fiidr3hp/nUU4IyWrF9

Hopefully these samples aren't too subtle. But in my exciting adventures with Nebula and audio, it is a very subtle thing. Glorious, but subtle. Anyway, I just uploaded some various samples using different presets from Henry Olonga. I didn't do samples of everything, of course.... To upload that much would use up all of the allotted internet bandwidth for North America, and we can't have that (I need to check my email once in a while, and check in on this forum). :lol: So the samples labelled "TCS full chain" use a TCS input, a tape sim (sorry, can't remember which one, but they are all the same), and a TCS out preset. The A*I and N**e samples are the same idea, but with their respective emulations. And the TCS pre is what it says. And for fun, I included a "no preset" sample to compare. Let me know if these are so subtle that they are not helping Henry sell his libraries, because that is the intent. I love all of his presets, if I lived in Zimbabwe I would be that annoying guy that wants to hang out with him, jam, and make music. lol.

mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Post by mpodrug » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks for your soundclips richie! They are very helpful.
The examples from Get on the Bus are also very nice.
Henry's libraries need to be known by more people ASAP.
His presets are highly usable.

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:20 am

mpodrug wrote:Thanks for your soundclips richie! They are very helpful.
The examples from Get on the Bus are also very nice.
Henry's libraries need to be known by more people ASAP.
His presets are highly usable.
Your welcome, thanks, and I agree!!!

Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Post by Henry Olonga » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:58 pm

670 Mojo is a product that has languished at the back of most peoples minds I am sure as not really useful perhaps. Anyway , I came across this thread on GS and was intrigued to see how passing the dry files through my recommended workflow would sound in comparison. The thread included a comparison between the Anamod 660 and a real 670 Fairchild

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sho ... ost3530190

So I got in touch with Roundbadge and he has given me permission to make my own comparison using my 670 Mojo product. Bear in mind that the Anamod costs about £1300, a self built Fairchild using the Drip PCB maybe about £ 2700, An AT-101 analogue tube about £ 14k and a real Fairchild costs north of £ 30k. So my miserely tone preset pack for £ 10 withers in significance. But how does it sound if you follow my workflow - you can listen for yourself as I compare a Waves Puigchild and also T-racks with my Mojo presets to the real thing.

I will be careful to say that I understand the vast differences in price and have realistic expectations - the hardware obviously easily sounds the best. Also bear in mind that no two fairchilds are likely to sound the same. I did however sample a real Fairchild's tone to produce 670 Mojo and it gets you just a few inches closer to the real thing. I found my favourite plugin to work with was the T-racks version.

My recommended workflow for stereo is an instance of T-racks Vintage 670 comp and then two instances of 670 mojo - left and right in the excellent DDMF Metaplugin to rebuild the machine.

670 Mojo is available here

http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product=h ... jo-192-khz

Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/henryolonga/sets/ ... jo-vs-real
You can download the original 24 bit 96k project files on my website

http://www.henryolonga.net/nebula/Henry ... risons.zip
Last edited by Henry Olonga on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Post by mpodrug » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:17 pm

I will hear the comparisons when i get home. This is exciting, cause i just got the 670 mojo lib today, along with lot others 8-)

SWAN
Expert
Expert

Post by SWAN » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:57 pm

cool test!

Tracks + MOJO is pretty close particularly on the drums...

Im wondering - the REAL 670 seems to have a more open sound which could be the compression or maybe its just an EQ signature on that unit? I sounds rather luurvlie on the vocal example...silky...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper

Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Post by Henry Olonga » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Yeah the real deal just has that magic that I am afraid I do not have the money for. It has a beautiful open top end as you say.

Makes me want to build one of these by Drip but my electronics 'know how' is just not up for it.

http://youtu.be/5nK6UAflmRE

I hear the Anamod sounds mighty close but again - that open top end thing on the hardware................hmmm

mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Post by mpodrug » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:56 pm

To my ears those demos are very very close.
I think in a blindshootout, it's much harder to say which is which.

I have the t-racks 3 deluxe and the black & white singles since along time. But i never really liked the sound of 670 and rarely touched it. But with your Mojo preset, i really feel the sound.
Now i realize how good it actually is. It sounds glorious on almost everything, especially on buses. I'm not exaggerating.
Wondering if you can make some LA-2A Mojo as well. (haven't tried the free LA from Eric though)

I also got lot of other stuffs from you, thanks alot for the discount code. I honestly felt bit embarassed, since the prices were actually already very low.
I don't have enough time yet to spend with all of them, but i already love Buzzard P2 (will get the others as well), G-20 master bus, Tape vol.3, and the A*I stuffs.

Thanks for your efforts. And keep up the good work!

mr.tele
User Level X
User Level X

Post by mr.tele » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:20 pm

The Mojo + T-racks is by far the closest to the real 670. It's not quite identical, but you have to listen closely to tell the difference. I want the Drip, but who has the time? It might be worth paying someone to build it, though!

KP2009
User Level X
User Level X

Post by KP2009 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:58 pm

h-man wrote:670 Mojo is a product that has languished at the back of most peoples minds I am sure as not really useful perhaps. Anyway , I came across this thread on GS and was intrigued to see how passing the dry files through my recommended workflow would sound in comparison. The thread included a comparison between the Anamod 660 and a real 670 Fairchild

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sho ... ost3530190

So I got in touch with Roundbadge and he has given me permission to make my own comparison using my 670 Mojo product. Bear in mind that the Anamod costs about £1300, a self built Fairchild using the Drip PCB maybe about £ 2700, An AT-101 analogue tube about £ 14k and a real Fairchild costs north of £ 30k. So my miserely tone preset pack for £ 10 withers in significance. But how does it sound if you follow my workflow - you can listen for yourself as I compare a Waves Puigchild and also T-racks with my Mojo presets to the real thing.

I will be careful to say that I understand the vast differences in price and have realistic expectations - the hardware obviously easily sounds the best. Also bear in mind that no two fairchilds are likely to sound the same. I did however sample a real Fairchild's tone to produce 670 Mojo and it gets you just a few inches closer to the real thing. I found my favourite plugin to work with was the T-racks version.

My recommended workflow for stereo is an instance of T-racks Vintage 670 comp and then two instances of 670 mojo - left and right in the excellent DDMF Metaplugin to rebuild the machine.

670 Mojo is available here

http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product=h ... jo-192-khz

Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/henryolonga/sets/ ... jo-vs-real
You can download the original 24 bit 96k project files on my website

http://www.henryolonga.net/nebula/Henry ... risons.zip

Henry which preset did you use exactly from your 670 Mojo??

Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Post by Henry Olonga » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi KP2009,

These were the real hardware settings used on the thread

Drums - time constant 1 around -6 to -8 db

Vocals - time constant 3 around - 10 db for more obvious effect
Bass - time constant 3 ...- 8 to 9 db

So I chose the corresponding time constant presets for each comparison in my mojo library. All the time constants were sampled with only about 2 dbs gain reduction. ( As an aside - The deep, deeper and deepest presets were done using constant 1 if my memory serves me right. I went for about 5 dbs gain reduction for deeper and finally about 10 dbs on deepest. The Low Drive preset was with a much higher input to really drive the valves- bit of a gem that one - may be the best if you want a more coloured sound. )

So what I did was open up Metaplugin and route the left output to an instance of Nebula. I opened up another instance of Nebula and routed the right input to that one. They then were routed to the ouput. You can use the mono instances quite happily of course but using Metaplugin you can rebuild the hardware. I have tried to build a stereo version but the two channels sound different and I couldn't level match very well. AT least with two separate mono instances you can level match independantly.

The presets were placed after the plugins. Metering on the T-racks isn't always as accurate with deep compression as I would wish but if you use your ears you can dial in a nice sound.