Post by fabio.migliorati » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:50 am

-New versions of SAND & SAND FAB4 available (OSX-WIN);
-We are working to solve bugs in next release

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: SAND out now!

Post by giancarlo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:49 pm

ok eq4 will be a bit lighter on cpu and using less ram. Final release for windows today/tomorrow.

be a gorilla

Post by be a gorilla » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:35 pm

cool! it becomes even lighter.

for now full channel ( one pre4 , one bus4, on equ4) just with fab4 plugins i'm on 15 tracks.
with sand 10.

it sounds so...it sounds! :)

NoNameComesInMind

Post by NoNameComesInMind » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:46 pm

i love the sound of these, so ss-el but a very pure tone, great for molding material without having to create an instance for each track just to make it fit soundwise,
i don't have any experience with hardware but the ones i've tried always seem to mud up the mix alot and it's hard to get back clarity. With these: it's no problem!
EQualizer, Nebula, Coffee.

ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Post by ngarjuna » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:52 pm

Just so I have this straight...I have the trial rel B installed currently, working fine. I am to install:
Upgrade to SandT VST & AU Trial rel C
then
Upgrade to SandFab4T VST & AU Installer rel C
?
I am planning on buying this weekend but I figured I'd check out the auxiliary VSTs for as long as I still have power.

Serious home run here with Sand. I'm generally skeptical about new releases, people always hit various forums to crow about how awesome their new toys are. For a change I feel like whatever hype I have witnessed regarding Sand is justified.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:27 pm

for the installation order: yes
about new tools: I cannot speak about other developers, but we are seriously pushing the tech boundaries at each new release. It is perfectly normal people find new tools "a lot better". We are not just targeting "better gear", we are improving the engine so audio performances are improved: aliasing, interpolation errors, features, quality of emulation.

ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Post by ngarjuna » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:10 pm

giancarlo wrote:for the installation order: yes
about new tools: I cannot speak about other developers, but we are seriously pushing the tech boundaries at each new release. It is perfectly normal people find new tools "a lot better". We are not just targeting "better gear", we are improving the engine so audio performances are improved: aliasing, interpolation errors, features, quality of emulation.
Thanks for the confirmation. I should have at least a few hours after I finish working before Matthew spits on my fun...

And that's sort of the point here: I almost didn't even try Sand because 1) I felt like I didn't really need a 'better' S*L comp, and 2) while there was a ton of early, enthusiastic praise for the product that has become the norm rather than the exception; often missing critical discernment that shows up a bit later in those threads. So is Sand better than the Empirical Labs distressor plugin that was "the best compressor ever"? Etc. ad nauseum.

I do understand what you're saying though and perhaps that's all true from a development perspective; but from a user's perspective it becomes useless (for the purposes of parsing user reviews) for every new product to be hailed as a "game changer" when the game hasn't really changed in a decade or so. And that's not an Acustica-centric complaint, actually Nebula gets a lot less hype than some audio brands.

But from a use perspective I can honestly say I don't have any processors that can do what Sand is doing for me. That may not change the game but it does make me better at playing.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Well, luckily we cannot pilot hype. As much as I need this power, we cannot create hype. There is a thing I learnt recently: when there is hype there is a good reason. Sometimes hype is created by beta team, but in our case we don't have control on it. They seriously praise or speak badly about a product following their taste. Ivory comp was bad and we even stopped betatesting. Seriously we cannot convince them a product is good while it is not - for whatever reason, ie we model an hardware which is famous but not good - they don't like it period. And the opinion will not change even if I say the product is fantastic and I cannot live without it.
About sand: few products this year were seriously good for at least 4 communities
- We as acustica company
- Betatesters
- Users
- Friends/dealers/tetimonials

Sand is one of them, and maybe the most praised one, I mean then one which makes everybody happy. It is not a matter of British console. If you buy a a console maybe it will not be as much good for a long list of reasons

dagovitsj
Expert
Expert

Post by dagovitsj » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Just a quick question:
I've read the manual and from what I can understand you have sampled the individual parts like preamp, EQ, compressor of the console.

Is it correct to assume that the sound of the console is "baked into" the SAND plugin - in short: By using SAND I get the sound of the Ess Ess L console AND the different parts?

Perhaps an obvious answer to this, but I just had to ask!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 [email protected] 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:21 pm

giancarlo wrote:Sometimes hype is created by beta team, but in our case we don't have control on it. They seriously praise or speak badly about a product following their taste.
UN-Controllable Beta-TEAM.

We even have T-Shirts. :mrgreen:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

cjperez
User Level X
User Level X

Post by cjperez » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:28 pm

giancarlo wrote:ok eq4 will be a bit lighter on cpu and using less ram. Final release for windows today/tomorrow.
Hey Giancarlo.... First off.. Loving SAND and the FAB4 plugins.... However, I ran into an issue with the latest update with the FAB4 rel D....

Up until this morning, i had the rel C version of the FAB 4 installed and I was working on a track where I had used alot of the FAB4 SANDeq ZL plugin... So, after a couple hours of working on the track, i took a break, exited Cubase 8.035 x64bit and went for lunch.... Upon my return, i checked to see if there was any more updates, and I saw the Rel D, which I downloaded & installed.....

Now the problem is, when I try to load the project that I was working on this morning, It would hang... Meaning that It wouldn't load and Cubase crashes...

So, what i did is that I loaded Cubase again, then, I loaded the FAB 4 SAND eq ZL plugin in a blank project and that's where I noticed that the LF & HF bands where swapped... (which is good by the way cause it matches more closely to the SAND plugin and it's just easier for the workflow)

But, I'm wondering if it may have broken compatibility with the previous version... I dunno.. But i also tried this experiment by removing (temporarily) the SANDEQ4ZL.dll from my vstplugins folder to another folder, then reloaded that same project file that I was working on , and...... IT loaded.... Offcourse the SANDEQ4ZL.dll was removed so that's I realized there was some issue with the SANDEQ4ZL Eq since the new update...

So G, if you or anyone got any ideas to try, i'm all open to try something.. Cause i need to get this project going you know.....

ps: Oh wait... I just had an idea....... I'm going to re-install the older rel C version , then see if the project comes up, and if it does I can take note of the settings then, upgrade to rel D .. hmmmm... Let me see if that works... I'll keep you guys updated..

Sigh.. well.. Just tried it, and it didn't work.. My project still hands when trying to load....
Last edited by cjperez on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i7 5820k 3.3ghz. 32gigs Ram, Samsung SSD, MSI X99A motherboard, Cubase 8, H******* Mixbus 3.3 & 2.5, Antelope Audio Zen Studio & Yamaha N8 Mixers. Win. 7 64 bit.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:37 pm

It should be compatibile because see swapped only the position... We'll check it tomorrow.

cjperez
User Level X
User Level X

Post by cjperez » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:46 pm

giancarlo wrote:It should be compatibile because see swapped only the position... We'll check it tomorrow.
ok cool....
Intel Core i7 5820k 3.3ghz. 32gigs Ram, Samsung SSD, MSI X99A motherboard, Cubase 8, H******* Mixbus 3.3 & 2.5, Antelope Audio Zen Studio & Yamaha N8 Mixers. Win. 7 64 bit.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:29 pm

Ok a lacking of compatibility is not possible, but we'll try to reproduce it.
Did you uninstall anything?

cjperez
User Level X
User Level X

Post by cjperez » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:43 pm

giancarlo wrote:Ok a lacking of compatibility is not possible, but we'll try to reproduce it.
Did you uninstall anything?
Well so far I did eventually uninstall sand completely, Then i re-installed Sand version rel K. then the Fab 4 Rel C.... The i tried to re-load the song then it still hangs.. sigh... But the project file only loads when i remove the SANDEQ4ZL.dll from my vstplugins folder, then the project will load but offcourse i can't see my settings that i had on the project... SAND itself works fine, but it's the SANDEQ4ZL plugin for some reason is giving me some stress..

However, i will say that during the process while i was working with the FAB4 EQ, every now and then i would get a burst of "white Noise' and it would happen about on average, every 15 minutes or so.... Well maybe not that exact a number but it would be around that or so... which was strange..
Last edited by cjperez on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.