Ebony is out!

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
BG23
User Level V
User Level V

Re: Ebony is out!

Post by BG23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:29 am

markgalup wrote:In my case, I can very clearly hear the gap between the early and the late reflections on the balanced reverb (Example 1), and it weirds my ears out.
What type of sample did you use? I just tested a snare/click and I didn't see any gap, nothing strange like in your image.

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:34 am

Only want to clarify here, I don't mind delaying it, etc., and I, too, appreciate the ER separation. I am taking issue with a MINIMUM predelay of ~150ms on the LR, which is also disparate sonically from the ER, and which is very difficult to workaround with external techniques or plugs. Just my opinion and like I mentioned I'm only making this last attempt to clearly state it, not looking to start a war.
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:35 am

BG23 wrote:
markgalup wrote:In my case, I can very clearly hear the gap between the early and the late reflections on the balanced reverb (Example 1), and it weirds my ears out.
What type of sample did you use? I just tested a snare/click and I didn't see any gap, nothing strange like in your image.
Wow, really interesting. Stock click in Pro Tools, probably Marimba 2. I sent this to Support with almost no response, and posted it previously and G said it was as he intended... strange.
Mark Galup
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com

mathias
Expert
Expert

Post by mathias » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:46 am

hi mark,
your example 1 really looks weird.
there should not be any gap between early and late with the balanced setting.
it looks like a predelay is applied to the late part, even with the predelay-knob at 0.
there is something wrong, possibly a bug with the standalone-version?
can you reproduce that behaviour of example 1 with the reverb of the full channelstrip of ebony?
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude pro x3, waveform 9 (tracktion), reaper
system 2: mac osx el capitan - reaper(64bit), waveform 9 (64bit), mixbus 6

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB

BG23
User Level V
User Level V

Post by BG23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:15 am

I've always understood that only the LR alone (with the knob on the right) are intended to be delayed; not in the "normal" scenario ER+LR (knob on the centre).

And this is what I actually see in my DAW:
CLICK
http://image.ibb.co/hGdEzQ/click.jpg
ER+LR
http://image.ibb.co/f1g1eQ/ER_LR.jpg
ER
http://image.ibb.co/bSsJR5/ER.jpg
LR
http://image.ibb.co/mOPyR5/LR.jpg

In the last image, the "intended predelay" is ~114ms.
Ebony standalone, balanced pack.
http://image.ibb.co/gqtNKQ/ebony.jpg
Attachments
test.wav
(5.56 MiB) Downloaded 117 times

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:50 am

Weird, mark, must be a bug on your end.

Did the same test with Marimba 2 on Pro Tools and there is no gap. I'll try to attach some pictures to show you.

EDIT: The green clip is Early-Late at the middle position, yellow is only early and violet is only late. You can see that they even overlap a little bit.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 10.42.55 PM.png
Ebony Settings
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 10.41.27 PM.png

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:13 am

gus_vccs wrote:Weird, mark, must be a bug on your end.

Did the same test with Marimba 2 on Pro Tools and there is no gap. I'll try to attach some pictures to show you.

EDIT: The green clip is Early-Late at the middle position, yellow is only early and violet is only late. You can see that they even overlap a little bit.
NOTE: 48 and 88.2 kHz pack for Ebony is pending so you should use and test Ebony only at 44.1 and 96 kHz.

Acqua Effects troubleshooting and weird behavior report
https://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/v ... 32&t=28860

If you detect weird behavior or a possible bug in our Acqua Effect products line, we recommend you to contact us through our ticket system in order to track each inquiry.

For create a tech support ticket, log-in in your Dashboard and go Customer Area, Dashboard, Get Support and submit a ticket.

Remember that we need a detailed information about your system, the product and installer you are using, and step by step information about how to reproduce the reported issue in our test systems.
Don't be afraid to upload to a free cloud service audio clip examples, screen capture with settings or screen videos of your problematic audio session.

If you are having download issues, installation issues or authorization issues we recommend you first to read our on-line guide located in Board index, Acqua, Working with Acqua.

Note: please assign normal priority to your ticket, high and low priority is used only internally by our staff.
Best regards,
Acustica Audio help-desk service and support.
https://www.acustica-audio.com/
Acustica Audio is a trademark of Acusticaudio SRL.

To contact Acustica Audio support go to the ‘Support’ in your Acustica Audio account.
We do not provide support via social networks, public forums, Acustica Audio forums, or email accounts.

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Support wrote:
gus_vccs wrote:Weird, mark, must be a bug on your end.

NOTE: 48 and 88.2 kHz pack for Ebony is pending so you should use and test Ebony only at 44.1 and 96 kHz.

Acqua Effects troubleshooting and weird behavior report
https://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/v ... 32&t=28860

If you detect weird behavior or a possible bug in our Acqua Effect products line, we recommend you to contact us through our ticket system in order to track each inquiry.

For create a tech support ticket, log-in in your Dashboard and go Customer Area, Dashboard, Get Support and submit a ticket.

Remember that we need a detailed information about your system, the product and installer you are using, and step by step information about how to reproduce the reported issue in our test systems.
Don't be afraid to upload to a free cloud service audio clip examples, screen capture with settings or screen videos of your problematic audio session.

If you are having download issues, installation issues or authorization issues we recommend you first to read our on-line guide located in Board index, Acqua, Working with Acqua.

Note: please assign normal priority to your ticket, high and low priority is used only internally by our staff.
I'm using it in a 44.1 session.

I didn't understand. What I posted is a weird behavior of the Reverb module?

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:43 pm

mathias: yes, it sure does look weird. I've had this same issue all along with both strip and standalone version, but I'll verify it's still happening with the strip and let you know.

BG23: thanks for the posts. This clearly shows that my behavior is not correct. What's weird is that my LR is at approx. 150ms, so it seems perhaps that the ER is being truncated? Or maybe both?

gus_vccs: thanks for doing this PT test for a direct comparison. Seems clearly like a bug on my end.

Support: I'd guess you are telling me to create another ticket. I already have a current "on-hold" ticket from 7-18-2017. I will try this test in a 44.1 session to see if that changes anything.

MG
Mark Galup
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com

idrummer
User Level VI
User Level VI

Re: Ebony is out! DP 9.5 Users, help!

Post by idrummer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi!
Are there any Digital Performer 9.5 users?
I'm trying DP 9.5 demo and so far is a rock solid DAW. The problem I get is that every time I put ONE instance of Ebony Reverb module, my processor spikes and my CPU gets fully overloaded. That behavior doesn't seem to occur with my actual version DP8.07. So I assume that this is a problem with the new Pre-Gen feature in DP9.1x - 9.5
My specs are: MacOs X.10.5 on a Mac Pro (trash can)3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 20 GB RAM and latest Ebony version.
Any advice would be really appreciated.

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:42 am

markgalup wrote: gus_vccs: thanks for doing this PT test for a direct comparison. Seems clearly like a bug on my end.
I will try this test in a 44.1 session to see if that changes anything.
MG
Hi Mark

I did the test at 44.1 in Logic and there is no gap with either stand alone Ebony or the strip Ebony.
In other words, same results as gus_vccs.

I assumed that would be the result as I'm really liking Ebony on snares here.
I always leave the pre-delay at zero as I don't like what it does when pre-delay is added.

Good luck sorting it out at your end.

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi, mark. Had some time today, and look what I've found. I did the same test as before, but now in a 48 kHz session and the same problem that you discovered happened. The same gap.

I don't know if the sound changes too between this 2 sample rates. Maybe.

So, I would recommend you to wait for the 48/88 pack, as that must do the trick for you.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 8.35.37 AM.png

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Yes exactly wait for the 48 88 pack. I think they will release it this week

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:01 pm

Latest engine is very good, pops and clicks are gone, predelay is more reliable. I don't know when they will update it. I think they will wait for lemon testing.

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:48 pm

gus_vccs wrote:Hi, mark. Had some time today, and look what I've found. I did the same test as before, but now in a 48 kHz session and the same problem that you discovered happened. The same gap.

I don't know if the sound changes too between this 2 sample rates. Maybe.

So, I would recommend you to wait for the 48/88 pack, as that must do the trick for you.
gus_vccs and all others that offered customer support to me: thank you very much for your assistance. This is why this forum and community is amazing.

I'm happy to learn that this is a rather simple fix - now I just wait for the 48k pack... can't wait to use it on a mix.

Giancarlo, is the 48k here derived from the 44/96 samples or was it sampled at 48k also?

MG
Mark Galup
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com