Ebony is out!

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
Frogy
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: Ebony is out!

Post by Frogy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:52 pm

When is the Ebony reverb update going to be available? Seems to have been in beta for over a week now. Are there still issues?

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:42 am

We are working on it. Just testing a new beta today.

I think we'll need one more update to address an issue I reported. Hopefully that can be dealt with.

Even though this is the very first Acqua Reverb ever developed ... this unit sounds beautiful. Lush, full, ..... and transparent. Exactly what I'd expect from the high-end studios I worked back in my mixing days.

As mentioned in my beta-report ... I'd even look to EBONY for a select Restoration/Mastering project .... it sounds that natural. Lets hope the coding design can allow for perfection in operation. Almost there 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

InTheChaos
User Level II
User Level II

Post by InTheChaos » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:14 am

I seem unable to recall the settings I saved. Anyone having an issue with this? I can only recall the presets. Any changes I do to them, are not recalled.

I am using the full Ebony vst.

Windows 10 64bit Nuendo 7.035

garbage914
User Level II
User Level II

Post by garbage914 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:05 am

InTheChaos wrote:I seem unable to recall the settings I saved. Anyone having an issue with this? I can only recall the presets. Any changes I do to them, are not recalled.

I'm having this same issue (Windows 10, 64bit, Cubase 9, full Ebony). Also saving presets and trying to reload them is not working.
Intel I7 6950, Windows 10, 24 GB RAM, Pink, Pink Bundle, Amethyst, Purple, White, Scarlet, Navy, Lime, Pearl, Sand, Blue, Nebula4, UA Apollo 8, Antelope Orion 32

grabie
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by grabie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:14 pm

I seem unable to recall the settings I saved. Any changes I do to them, are not recalled.
Same here, with Pro Tools:
Recall of settings saved in Pro Tools works sometimes - but it is not reliable.
windows 10 x64 - i7 6700K - 32 gb ram - GeForce GTX 960 - Asus Z170-A - RME HDSPe AIO

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:59 pm

markgalup wrote:Gotcha. Here is a screenshot of one click, recorded through Ebony as an Aux, with all the default settings - predelay at 0. It appears that there's like a predelay between the early and late reflections? Very curious. Thoughts G?
My concern with this predelay which G is saying is normal, is that this is a delay between the early and late reflections. This image is of a fully wet signal, so I believe predelay should only happen before the early reflections, not between early and late. Please look into this and advise AA, as support has only told me they aren't experiencing it. Thanks very much in advance.

MG
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:17 pm

It's between early and late
Early should not be delayed by definition, it should be part of the signal, more or less like a preamp.
I think it is described in the user manual

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:18 pm

InTheChaos wrote:I seem unable to recall the settings I saved. Anyone having an issue with this? I can only recall the presets. Any changes I do to them, are not recalled.

Tell me if you experience it in an empty song

Frogy
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by Frogy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Even though this is the very first Acqua Reverb ever developed ... this unit sounds beautiful. Lush, full, ..... and transparent. Exactly what I'd expect from the high-end studios I worked back in my mixing days
You see I don't think it does sound lush and full, not on the full Ebony anyway. (I've given up using the standalone as it simply doesn't work on my system). I would describe VNXT140 as lush.

To me Ebony is very 'platey', not lush. It's good (like on shorter decays for snare and electric guitar room), but not amazing.

I am wondering whether there are system dependencies here, where some people are hearing an amazing plate and some are hearing an OK plate. Or, there again it could just be me and my ears.

Whatever, I have brought Ebony because I think the EQs and Comps are the best to date in the channel strip releases.

For ref my system is Logic X (10.3.2) on macOS 10.12.5.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:16 pm

I'm testing only on PC version .... in particular, the beta, stand-alone.

We know the first release came with issues ... and that is what's being addressed through the betas.
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

tass
User Level I
User Level I

Post by tass » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:28 pm

I also get a predelay between the early and late reflections
(predelay set to 0).
I can clearly hear it on snare/rimshot. I don’t know if this is intentional but i think it would be better without it.
Hope they’ll fix it... this reverb is really awesome.

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:21 am

giancarlo wrote:It's between early and late
Early should not be delayed by definition, it should be part of the signal, more or less like a preamp.
I think it is described in the user manual
With respect G, Pre-delay is NOT between early and late.
If you Google "reverb pre delay meaning" there are many, many explanations and they ALL say it is the delay between the end of the dry signal and the onset of early reflections.

Here is a classic example ( this is from Sweetwater):
Pre-delay is a parameter found in reverb processors. It refers to the amount of time between the original dry sound, and the audible onset of early reflections and reverb tail. Carefully adjusting the pre-delay parameter makes a huge difference in the “clarity” of a mix. For example, a longer pre-delay will move the reverb tail out of the way of the vocals, making them much more present and understandable
That is basically EXACTLY the same description of what pre-delay is that appears in the Ebony manual.

So I agree with Mark Galup and others.
Why would you want a gap between early reflections and late reflections. ??
Last edited by Beatworld on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:21 am

Pre-delay MUST operate on both [all] aspects of the reverb.

Through Pre-delay, we can control the apparent room size defined by the early reflections.

Current EBONY clearly needs correction.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:59 am

Not really.
Moving both of them is easy, but we decided to create artificially this solution because the reverb is dense, so it is better if early section is still glued with the source, like a plate is doing.
I see other developers have similar solutions (if I'm not wrong also liquidsonics)

Said that, I've been describing this solution since the beginning, the product will never change. If you want to operate differently use the standalone reverb and add a delay on it

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 am

I see the description in the user manual is not very clear. I'll tell them to update it. Anyway I said that! There are many many posts describing our approach to early reflections in this particular case.
A plate reverb is so dense you don't want to predelay the very first section, or you loose the glueing effect. Possibly on other reverbs we'll offer a secondary predelay. But not in this case. Normally plate reverb are so dense that when people delay them they are forced to control the attack with a ramp. Which is basically what we are doing with the late reflections. If you want to null the instantaneous fixed effect just reduce the gain of early section
Hope it helps

I planned the product that way, it is not a mistake.
The product will not change, because it is built on this solution and this is my vision. It sounds very good, I think it is a clever approach to a problem of density
Just to be clear, if it was just a matter of moving the whole reverb there was no reason for detaching artificially early from late, which required a lot of work - and it not straightforward on this kind of response.
We detached exactly for this reason: we can create an hole in the middle, keeping the early glued