Ebony is out!

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
fabio.migliorati

Ebony is out!

Post by fabio.migliorati » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Ebony - Dreamware Hardware Channelstrip is out!
Ebony_slideshow.png
Acustica is very proud to release the first plate Reverb Acqua plugin. Discover our new Beautiful-izer!

INTRODUCTION

Ebony is a State-of-the-art modeling of legendary vintage units completely different than previous Acqua Effect plug-ins products.
The realization of EBONY is the result of our continuous exploration for classic and covetted outboard gear, and our desire to achieve perfection in our modeling.

Ebony is the name of the suite equipped by three different equalizers, four rare compressors, eight preamplifers and a control section.

This suite represents a great offering on the market for any lover of a vintage sound and colors.
Anyone in search for faithful emulations simply must try this vintage channel strip (complete with its standalone modules).

What’s the main novelty?
Acustica will be proud to release the first plate REVERB Acqua plugin and we included it in our best channel-strip ever created ! The rarity of emulated devices, the software development, the design work… all of this makes this plug-in truly special.
The Acustica team never stops! With this latest product Acustica has decided to add new important features to demonstrate how this Acqua plugin is one of the most complex and com­plete ACQUA plugins ever released.
Our mission is to satisfy all customers and we believe that now Ebony can be the best choice without compromise to improve your sound.

ABOUT EBONY
Ebony is the name of the suite that consists of five different plug-ins:
-EBONY (Channel-strip) (1)
-EBONY COMP (2)
-EBONY EQ (3)
-EBONY PRE (4)
-EBONY REVERB (5)

(1) EBONY includes:
•EBONY
•EBONY ZL (zero latency)
(2) EBONY COMP includes:
•EBONY COMP
•EBONY COMP ZL (zero latency)
(3) EBONY EQ includes:
•EBONY EQ
•EBONY EQP ZL (zero latency)
(4) EBONY PRE includes:
•EBONY PRE
•EBONY PRE ZL (zero latency)
(5) EBONY REVERB includes:
•EBONY REVERB
•EBONY REVERB HL* (High Latency)

*High Latency, this reverb version doesn't use the ZL algorithm but rather a new implementation introduced for the reverb to optimize the CPU load (8192 samples for HL version versus 2048 samples for the standard version).

Ebony was developed based on CORE X, the revolutionary upgraded multi-threading technology by Acustica Audio. CORE X is an optimisation of CORE9 in terms of performance, but also introduces new important features allowing optimise Acqua Effect plug-ins performance.

Actually CORE X supported features:

• Internal plug-in saturation no longer exceeds +3 dBFS.
• New algorithm for hard-clipping.
• Multi-input system implemented.
• Blending algorithm empower more plug-in instances and better CPU performance.

You will find all details in Ebony user's manual, you can downaload it directly in the product commercial page.

Ebony Commercial web-page:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... 9#controls

Ebony Trial web-page:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189

Operation Systems and Formats Supported:
• Supported operation systems: OS X and Windows.
• Supported plug-in formats: VST2, AAX, and AU.
• Supported architectures: 32 and 64-bits.

Price and availability:

• Ebony commercial version: €199.00
Introductory price at €159.20 (20%OFF) form MSRP price on first four weeks. Available as a digital download immediately after payment.

• Ebony trial version: free four week test license. Available as a digital download immediately after €0.00 payment.

This suite represents a great offering on the market for any lover of a vintage sound and colors.
Anyone in search for faithful emulations simply must try this vintage channel strip (complete with its standalone modules).
Our mission is to satisfy all customers and we believe that now Ebony can be the best choice without compromise to improve your sound.

ce1909

Re: Ebony is out!

Post by ce1909 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:08 pm

No wet/ dry mix on the standalone RV?

Also when I turn Early/Late to full there's barely anything coming out.
Haven't read the manual yet but is this normal?

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Can't wait to try this out! Can you elaborate on the "new algorithm for hard-clipping"?

MG
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

DavideBurattin
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DavideBurattin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:54 pm

ce1909 wrote:No wet/ dry mix on the standalone RV?
Do you ever used reverb as insert?

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:24 pm

No it is a send unit. Early/late control simply decreases the gain of late/early, so if you hear a reverb it is not possible you don't hear anything suddenly.
Check the whole strip, it is shipped with presets.
The strip elements are very organic and they fit completely the reverb sound
You have also a direct path (way more flexible then a simple dry/wet, once you get use to it)

gussyg
User Level X
User Level X

Post by gussyg » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:18 pm

1st impressions are that it deffo has its "own sound"
surprised at the 3d effect of the early reflections, with some pre-delay it's almost like a slap-back :shock: ...
the sound of the tail sounds very different with each decay setting (as I find with VNXT)
the density of the reverb is slightly more transparent to other plate offerings I have, it seems very good at popping things out to the ear... will try it on several sources tomorrow
but overall it's deffo a top notch offering

ce1909

Post by ce1909 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:26 pm

giancarlo wrote:

No it is a send unit. Early/late control simply decreases the gain of late/early, so if you hear a reverb it is not possible you don't hear anything suddenly.
You have also a direct path (way more flexible then a simple dry/wet, once you get use to it)
Thanks, haven't tried the strip yet, just the sa reverb.
How much more cpu is used using strip vs sa? I tend to use several verbs per project & never print them until the final render of all tracks.

emerygsc
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by emerygsc » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:31 pm

Trying Ebony now.
A bit confusing at first, so many buttons, but 10 minutes spent and already having fun:)
Reverb sounds gorgeous! One thing tho, why it is panned to the right? Is this a bug?

Cheers
Denis

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:39 pm

The original one is a little bit. We preferred to not touch it, but following your requests we could change our mind
The hardware was in extremely good conditions, the owners did an incredible job on it, a lot of love on it

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:41 pm

ce1909 wrote:
giancarlo wrote:

Thanks, haven't tried the strip yet, just the sa reverb.
How much more cpu is used using strip vs sa? I tend to use several verbs per project & never print them until the final render of all tracks.
It should be a lot better then nebula.
Optionally you could turn threads on in the long latency release

ce1909

Post by ce1909 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Will check it out, thanks!

faland
User Level I
User Level I

Post by faland » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Ok, after a few hours of testing it sounds really good, as I expected from AA, but the real surprise is not so much the reverb (which is fantastic) as the compressors, especially the D473 on drums.
I'm really impressed with it.
It seems to pull the snare skin and gives a phenomenal snap.
In conjunction with the reverb creates a really analogue glue that I only heard on the (best) hardware
The equalizer on the reverb path is very useful and also the double path of the audio signal is very versatile.
The whole channel strip has its own sounds. I like it, but sometimes it may alter the overall sound when used on the bus.
As all the nebula reverbs is very heavy on the CPU, in my case it is impossible to use it on more than two tracks without having to freeze, but I only tried the whole suite, i think the reverb alone is (a lot less?) demanding.
I did not have the chance to try the pres intensively, but in the first instance I did not notice any remarkable differences, but I need more time and calm to be more precise.
In any case, it is an excellent plugin that deserves to be carefully tested. For me it has a great value, not only in relation to its cost, but absolutely. Bravo!
Nebula 3 Pro | Red | Tan | Ochre | Trinity | Orange | Pink | Sand | Titanium2 | pEArL2 | Gold | Diamond |

DavideBurattin
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DavideBurattin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:28 pm

giancarlo wrote:The original one is a little bit. We preferred to not touch it, but following your requests we could change our mind
The hardware was in extremely good conditions, the owners did an incredible job on it, a lot of love on it
The right channel is 6db up panned than the left one... I consider it a bug more than an original feature. :|

Despite the reverb hype, the compressor is the thing that stands out, on the drum buss it competes with the best ones.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:55 pm

We decided to not touch it.
Note: it is frequency dependent.
Normally those kind of plates are "normalized", but we kept the exact original sound and balance. Following requests we could compensate the H1. For example beta testers didn't ask for it. Let's hear more comments, for us it is really easy to adjust (really a gain adjust on h1 left kernel)

Compressor is very good, but there are two things which make the reverb unique

- Harmonic distortion - compared to other plugins and competitors. You can abuse the harmonic distortion, and cpu is still pretty light compared to all nebula reverbs. On most of nebula reverbs you cannot abuse. On most of competition harmonic distortion is not modeled at all.
- Early reflection- compared to all nebula reverbs. It is really fast, more or less as much fast as a preamp. It is the fastest one possible. Artifacts are reduced, and the sound is incredibly glued

Despite the fact the reverb appears anonymous, this one really blends with the source, you don't understand any more what is the reverb, what is the source. It is part of the sound. It happens cause those previous points, distortion and fast refreshed early. So the reverb is unique, they're is nothing like it around. The more you use it, the more you understand.

Third point: the unit is incredibly well tuned (yes you have to tune it). It sounds natural and organic, especially at longest decays (at short decays you hear the plate in any case, you cannot avoid the real nature of the reverb)

philou72
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by philou72 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Hello,
Professional since a long time, it's the first time I can hear a plugin that sounds like the real thing. Dawn !