Ebony TBR 3rd july

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
Andrums
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Ebony TBR 3rd july

Post by Andrums » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Will Ebony support 48-88.2 kHz sampling rates?
Still waiting 48-88 pack for Cobalt.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:23 pm

yes all rates natively. This is very important!

Here first renders
Note:
- I played a quick piano in kontact, added a replica delay from ni. The piano has a lot of random velocity notes so you can appreciate the reaction of the reverb to things which suddenly change their amplitude, transients and things like that
- you have the dry, effected and the reverb alone. Please note that I added a SINGLE instance of ebony, it does dry+wet

- about the reverb preset (we'll have tons of presets!) I used a long decay, a predely around 200 ms. In ebony I equalized using the BEAUTIFUL EELA console. So I enhanced the high frequencies of the reverb, and they still glue with the track perfectly

- my thoughts: the reverb "blends". If you try the dry track you hear it is a sampled piano, quantized in a very strong way. But when you compare the effected track you hear it like a "record" and the quality of the piano increases. Reverb follows the piano, it is not "detatched", there are not strange ringing frequencies, it acts more like a real hall space

Enjoy

https://app.box.com/s/vs8jt3u85q42feu3abqszrd4ggdcqxz4

holographic
User Level II
User Level II

Post by holographic » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:25 pm

the processed piano sounds very good :!:

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Yes I think the reverb is one of the best possible ;)

DarkandKurious
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DarkandKurious » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:51 am

The studio I worked at for years had a decommissioned 140 (and a bx20) - I never got to try the real deal, and I don't have room to store one. I have used a stereo EMT plate before though, and it couldn't do anything wrong (except needing high levels of maintenance to calibrate). I'm looking forward to Ebony immensely, as every plate plugin, has excited me at first and ultimately been flat and sterile. From the demos you've posted already, this sounds like what I have been hoping for. 8-)
macOS Sierra, ProTools 12.8
Navy, Purple, Pink 2412/7236, Ultramarine, Coral, Lime, Pearl, Diamond, Gold, Cobalt, Ebony

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Yes I understand they TRIED desperately to simulate a real space.
And imho they achieved it, but a plate is more dense. Ebony sounds like nothing digital can, and it is different from real spaces because it is incredibly more dense.
It's a pity the plate is different from a real space at short decays, so you start hearing it is metallic... But the project is awesome

roby
User Level I
User Level I

Post by roby » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Unfortunately I can not attend the event...but i'm curious to try it with a lead gtr, el or aco... :D
Win 7 64-i5 4400-8Gb Ram-Cubase-Reaper-Pink-Coral-Lime-Lemon-Magenta-Crimson

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHc5tq ... iibr9bIiKw

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Yeah, would be really cool to hear more audio examples like that, G.

Btw, this is a great idea for the new site, add some sound examples for each product.

deanpokorny
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by deanpokorny » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:17 pm

Sounds beautiful
Without music, life would not be same...

mahtha
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by mahtha » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:07 am

No more posts for Ebony the first acqua reverb?

No comments from the beta testers for the first acqua reverb?

Gold seems to be more popular than Ebony...

I wonder how the reverb quality slide take effects on the sound?

A channel strip with reverb is nice but why the pre and the reverb aren't chained in serial? We can't use the pre before the reverb? The pre is apart from the reverb...

Ebony is strange but I will like it(I hope). And I hope that Ebony dreamware reverb channel strip will be less extravagant, in use, than the Cobalt dynamic Eq.

DarkandKurious
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DarkandKurious » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:15 am

mahtha wrote:No more posts for Ebony the first acqua reverb?

No comments from the beta testers for the first acqua reverb?

Gold seems to be more popular than Ebony...

I wonder how the reverb quality slide take effects on the sound?

A channel strip with reverb is nice but why the pre and the reverb aren't chained in serial? We can't use the pre before the reverb? The pre is apart from the reverb...

Ebony is strange but I will like it(I hope). And I hope that Ebony dreamware reverb channel strip will be less extravagant, in use, than the Cobalt dynamic Eq.
I think there is an apparent lack of comments because only the beta testers have the plugin, and they probably have to stay silent and objective to make it the best it can be. This is pre-pre-release after all. I think G is also being wise by only showing snippets of the in development aspect rather than publishing images too officially - that means he has flexibility to alter the plugin (if some feature doesn't seem viable) without people complaining that it doesn't match the first screen shot they saw.

I would think Gold was easier to speculate about because most people know the pedigree of those series of consoles, while we still don't know all of the pieces of Ebony's puzzle. There seem to be a whole pile of rare devices modelled. I saw on G's Instagram some time ago that they sampled some tube tape delay - I wonder if that device is how they are modelling the predelay, or whether the predelay is editing the onset of the plate? How many people have heard of the compressor/s modelled or used the desk? There is so much unknown that it is almost impossible to speculate. I think we're all waiting for the 3rd of July when suddenly people will be sharing all their thoughts as they try it.

There seem to be singles available as well as the strip, and I guess there is a reason that the pre is on the dry signal. Even though they are shown as parallel paths, the dry signal feeds the reverb (I presume, it would make sense) so putting the desk pre on the dry signal would also mean the pre is on the reverb - literally a 'pre'. I am guessing the reverb has the actual plate pre's modelled as an integral part of the plate. The options simply allow greater flexibility. I'll stop speculating now, because I'm most likely wrong about at least 60% of my random guesses - I used the EMT plate at the Engine Room in London, and saw the desk at the Pool and wondered what it was, but unfortunately never had to opportunity to work in the Pool, so I have no idea what to really expect, other than a plate.

Regardless, I need a plate like this, everything else is a happy bonus.
macOS Sierra, ProTools 12.8
Navy, Purple, Pink 2412/7236, Ultramarine, Coral, Lime, Pearl, Diamond, Gold, Cobalt, Ebony

SWANG
Expert
Expert

Post by SWANG » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:44 am

an interesting upload by betatester will!

https://youtu.be/TwyQ6lttbJ4

botus99
Expert
Expert

Post by botus99 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:02 pm

SWANG wrote:an interesting upload by betatester will!

https://youtu.be/TwyQ6lttbJ4
20 Ebony instances eh? That's freaking awesome :mrgreen:

I'm also wondering about the mention of the new Acqua engine being capable of expansion. Is there any type of expansion in the dynamics portion of Ebony?

All I know is that this new expansion capability has me VERY excited for potential upgrades/additions for Sand2.
Win10 / Reaper / i7 6700K / 64gb RAM | DL32R / ZED-R16 / 2x Digi003 (1 Black Lion modded, 1 Revive modded)
N4 - Orange, Blue, Purple, Pearl, Diamond EQ Trans & Lift, Ebony, Gold, Navy, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, Titanium, Aquamarine, El Rey, Magenta, Erin, Coral, Cobalt, Celestial, Taupe, Lemon

zac222paz
User Level I
User Level I

Post by zac222paz » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:45 am

hello all,
as i understand it ebony is both a channel strip and a reverb all in one. i would normally use a channel strip as an insert on a track but have a reverb on an aux, so i am not to sure how to use ebony.

regards from australia

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:05 am

You may be pleased with the options available.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]