Ebony TBR 3rd july

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Ebony TBR 3rd july

Post by giancarlo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Ebony will be insanely good- but completely different from cobalt, they don't overlap at all. Our best competitor is today or acqua collection and nebula libraries. Difficult but we are raising the bar ;)

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Ebony TBR 3rd july

Post by giancarlo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:01 am

I confirm ebony will be the biggest thing of the year
Basically we split now
- Early reflections
- Late reflections
- Harmonics and very low frequency

So we have for the first time predelay between early and late reflections but differently from other developers we have harmonic distortion, very relevant for plates.

Cpu load:
- Vnxt 140 4 seconds is 54% on the test cpu using 3 harmonics
- Ebony reverb goes from 11% to 17% depending on the quality settings (last value is for 5 harmonics)
- Ebony is refreshing samples 4 times faster then nebula 140. It means high quality
- Original reverb is in good condition, less resonating and metallic. A dream
- You can get very distorted reverb if you want... Or clean ones

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:46 am

Said that, ebony will feature a lot of very rare equipment which could be connected with this reverb.
This time we are raising the bar quite a lot
Not confirmed, but we'll build also an expander from one of those compressor.
You cannot simply ignore this release

DarkandKurious
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DarkandKurious » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm pretty sure no one here would dream of ignoring it! :o It even sounds great over my iphone speaker on instagram... :lol:

That gives me enough time to save some money.
macOS Sierra, ProTools 12.8
Navy, Purple, Pink 2412/7236, Ultramarine, Coral, Lime, Pearl, Diamond, Gold, Cobalt, Ebony

mahtha
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by mahtha » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Ebony is the first Acqua reverb... with extra equipments.

I'm waiting for a long time for an acqua reverb and I've buy my first SSD specialy for this release, because I think that the loading times could kill the experience.

"Biggest thing of the year"... Is Ebony bigger than Gold?
In terms of Go?

"Ebony reverb dreamware channel". Is Ebony more a channel strip or more a reverb? Sounds and looks awesome on instagram!
Last edited by mahtha on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jackanory
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Jackanory » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:58 pm

GC is an artist (he certainly expresses himself as one). So every new release has to be bigger and better than the last!!!

Like many others I am looking forward to this. Glad you've included some of the console. I was just yesterday using the same desk, they must be rare, I've only ever used/seen one in London. Funny things, faders are a bit weird, but the eqs are pretty lush! Most bands comment on it and say "what's that?". I say, it's an EMT, they go "what??". Even a lot of engineers don't know they ever made consoles!

botus99
Expert
Expert

Post by botus99 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Jackanory wrote:GC is an artist (he certainly expresses himself as one). So every new release has to be bigger and better than the last!!!
This is why I love seeing G get as excited as he does when new Acquas are in development. Considering the awesome gamut of constantly great plugins that Acustica has been on since Pink, I tend to believe him.

So yeah, I'm VERY excited to have Ebony in my Acustica arsenal. :mrgreen:
Win10 / Reaper / i7 6700K / 64gb RAM | DL32R / ZED-R16 / 2x Digi003 (1 Black Lion modded, 1 Revive modded)
N4 - Orange, Blue, Purple, Pearl, Diamond EQ Trans & Lift, Ebony, Gold, Navy, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, Titanium, Aquamarine, El Rey, Magenta, Erin, Coral, Cobalt, Celestial, Taupe, Lemon

Nesto
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by Nesto » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Jackanory wrote:GC is an artist (he certainly expresses himself as one). So every new release has to be bigger and better than the last!!!

Like many others I am looking forward to this. Glad you've included some of the console. I was just yesterday using the same desk, they must be rare, I've only ever used/seen one in London. Funny things, faders are a bit weird, but the eqs are pretty lush! Most bands comment on it and say "what's that?". I say, it's an EMT, they go "what??". Even a lot of engineers don't know they ever made consoles!
Could you further explain the general character of the console/eqs? Ive read in the past it has a 3d effect. Lush as in open? I came across a sound on sound article featuring this console as the center piece for a a studio in London I believe. Ive been interested since then. The engineer dragged in some Ne*ve pres and some outboard and he was good to go.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:36 pm

It opens quickly though
I think you can see it as a very powerful reverb or a very complete channel strip lol...

mahtha
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by mahtha » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:23 pm

giancarlo wrote:It opens quickly though
I think you can see it as a very powerful reverb or a very complete channel strip lol...
+1

What is the quality slider on the reverb? More harmonics?
"Vnxt 140 has 3 harmonics and Ebony until 5 harmonics", what does it mean?

Jackanory
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Jackanory » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Nesto wrote:
Could you further explain the general character of the console/eqs? Ive read in the past it has a 3d effect. Lush as in open? I came across a sound on sound article featuring this console as the center piece for a a studio in London I believe. Ive been interested since then. The engineer dragged in some Ne*ve pres and some outboard and he was good to go.
Yes the console is in The Pool studios, London. I've never seen one elsewhere. Console character I don't have much experience with as whenever I'm there I never use the preamps (they have pretty much anything you could ever want there, so I'm usually recording with 1073s). But the EQs I've used a fair bit. They are not subtle! 7k is a lush top for ribbons or 87s etc. Mid range bands are very powerful and easily add or take away presence. The build of the desk is funny, feels a little plasticy. And the faders are a bit funky too, you wouldn't want to mix on it. But it has a great sound, more characterful than an S*L (but less versitile).

And keeping with Acustica's manifesto, it is a rare pearl! It's great that they keep bringing rare corners of the industry to the masses. It's gonna be a good one!

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Is the sound on the same ballpark as VNXT140? That is to me, by far, the best reverb ITB I have ever heard. There are others good, but VNXT is special.

If you have something like that, you already have a champion.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:10 pm

I compared and I preferred because I find it less "metallic"
In this case - this characteristic - it is just a matter of original device.
Our one was really in good shape, and we sampled trying to not overload it - it becomes metallic easily if you do it.
So our sampled unit has the same density but a more "natural sound". It feels less resonating, less spring reverb and more "real space".

That's the unit.
Speaking about the technical things, we can do things not possible in the past now. All our reverbs in nebula cannot go faster then 180 ms program rate.
Now we can spit early and late so we can go a lot faster, around 40ms program rate, which is the common one used in most of preamp libraries.
But that's not the whole cake.
What makes ebony special is the predelay approach. We are not adding predelay to the whole reverb BUT only to late refections.
This changes everything, and it is the real game changer

- Products based on this approach from other companies are not doing harmonic distortion (which is 50% of the plate sound)
- Nebula libraries don't do it

So basically we have a real "first time"

Jdm5149
User Level V
User Level V

Post by Jdm5149 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:12 pm

all these new plugins are great like gold but i only wish they could upgrade nebula4 to what it should be..the ability to import n3 skins and setup ability and all the other goodies promised ...i purchased n4 first with the thought that it would be like n3 but better but n3 still has all those options

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Franci is working on the setups thingy
We are going to integrate it in nebula, at least providing a basic subset of functionalities