Cobalt is out! Pre-order (20%OFF)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Cobalt is out! Pre-order (20%OFF)

Post by tumburu » Tue May 30, 2017 3:56 pm

It's more like a glorified sc compressor, not a dynamic eq. The name is kinda confusing.

The new thing compared to previous 'strips' is that it has two eqs, thus offering more flexibility.

Rumbact
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by Rumbact » Tue May 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Since I purchased Cobalt all of my AA plugins have been running with less CPU, I'm able to use over 150 Compressors with Amethyst 3 for example and Gold and thats on a Macbook Pro!!

How is that possible??!

tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by tumburu » Tue May 30, 2017 4:40 pm

Don't touch a thing!

And sell me your laptop :lol:

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Tue May 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Rumbact wrote:Since I purchased Cobalt all of my AA plugins have been running with less CPU, I'm able to use over 150 Compressors with Amethyst 3 for example and Gold and thats on a Macbook Pro!!

How is that possible??!
Hey, what? :?

How a plugin would change another plugin?

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Tue May 30, 2017 4:48 pm

tumburu wrote:It's more like a glorified sc compressor, not a dynamic eq. The name is kinda confusing.

The new thing compared to previous 'strips' is that it has two eqs, thus offering more flexibility.
I did not try it yet, but we need to be careful about the terms. It seems to me it IS a dynamic EQ, as it is an Eq cut or boost happening, not a band compression or expansion, even though, the trigger happens with a compressor signal.
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

Rumbact
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by Rumbact » Tue May 30, 2017 4:51 pm

haha I must be dreaming, I noticed that the eqs didn't change that mutch but the compressors on the other hand did. Maybe it's not because of Cobalt but something did make my life easier :-)

tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by tumburu » Tue May 30, 2017 4:52 pm

@Avgatzeblouz:

It is exactly what Lime or Sand etc does, the only difference being you get the inline eq too on Cobalt (by having two eqs).

Dynamic eq is traditionally a tool that offers multiple eq bands with dynamic control per band, thus acting both as eq and compressor. As I said, to me Cobalt is obviously a strip with a complex sc compressor, not a dynamic eq. It is exactly a matter of the right choice of words.

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Tue May 30, 2017 5:13 pm

tumburu wrote:@Avgatzeblouz:

It is exactly what Lime or Sand etc does, the only difference being you get the inline eq too on Cobalt (by having two eqs).

Dynamic eq is traditionally a tool that offers multiple eq bands with dynamic control per band, thus acting both as eq and compressor. As I said, to me Cobalt is obviously a strip with a complex sc compressor, not a dynamic eq. It is exactly a matter of the right choice of words.
Sorry, i'm not following you 100%. And rest assured I don't want to play words, I just really want to know what the product is, as I did not try it yet, and I use daily the McDSP dynamic Eq. So in Cobalt case, are the bands compressed (then it is a multiband compressor), or are they experiencing a gain reduction or lift, triggered by a compressor detector (then it is a dynamic Eq) ? Thanks for the clarification.
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Tue May 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Rumbact wrote:haha I must be dreaming, I noticed that the eqs didn't change that mutch but the compressors on the other hand did. Maybe it's not because of Cobalt but something did make my life easier :-)
if you have studio one ... the new version of s1 seems to give more cpu power - but not tested it.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by tumburu » Tue May 30, 2017 5:27 pm

It is a strip containing an eq, a second eq on the internal sidechain path, and a compressor. You don't have dynamic control over the eq bands themselves, as regular dynamic eqs have, but you have the entire eq to 'sculpt' the signal fed to the detector. This happens while also having the full eq available, which is a novelty in AA's offering.

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Tue May 30, 2017 5:29 pm

tumburu wrote:you have the entire eq to 'sculpt' the signal fed to the detector. This happens while also having the full eq available
OK! So you mean you use the 1st eq as the compressor sidechain, and the 2nd eq as a regular eq ? Then yes, we are far from a dynamic Eq !

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Tue May 30, 2017 5:32 pm

You have whole eq fully modulating, not just a single band...
The second eq is the sidechain eq!

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Tue May 30, 2017 5:36 pm

I will give it a spin tomorrow, then it will be clearer to me.

tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by tumburu » Tue May 30, 2017 5:37 pm

Exactly.

Uninspired (a bit misleading) naming choice, but a great tool :!:

kenbobplus3db
User Level X
User Level X

Post by kenbobplus3db » Tue May 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Will there be a release of 48k/88k frequency packs?