Cobalt is out! Pre-order (20%OFF)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
fabio.migliorati

Cobalt is out! Pre-order (20%OFF)

Post by fabio.migliorati » Mon May 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Cobalt is an absolute novelty for Acustica, it’s totally different respect other Acqua-plugins suite in every way..
COBALT_bundle.png
Through Stefano Dall'Ora (SoundDrops), who is an invaluable collaborator of Acusticaudio, and has been deeply involved in the production of this project, the Acustica team came in contact with Luca Martegani, also known as Xelius. Luca is the manufacturer of an amazing suite of hand-built audio hardware, characterized by great sound, quality, and value.
The equalizer and compressor are the elements of this suite that impressed us the most, so we have decided to base our new product on both of them.
We have called it Cobalt.

The basic idea behind Cobalt

https://youtu.be/dEWDnvgK3FI

[/quote]

LUCA: "There are so many things in audio that are of fundamental importance to the basic sound stage; the depth of the sound spaces, the way transients are handled, so my approach has been focused on the entire sound, not just about the tonal color.
Original devices are completely tube-based. Tubes are used in the input stage, then in all of the internal gain sections, up to the output stage".
Why this choice?
LUCA: "In my own research, after countless listening sessions, I've come to the conclusion that the amazing sound of those vintage devices we used to love comes from the tube circuits".
Many years of study, research and experiments (started in the early 90’s) finally led me to these great results.

Cobalt is the name of the suite that consists of four different plug-ins:
-COBALT (EQ)
-COBALT COMP
-COBALT PRE
-COBALT DYN EQ

Cobalt_PRE_EQ_COMP_teaser_005.png
Cobalt_CS_teaser_002.png
In the user’s manual you find all of the details about the suite. Below is a brief overview.

Cobalt (EQ)

It is derived from the classic Pultec design with some added custom features, such as the separation of bass frequencies, for example, so that you can choose the Cut frequency independently from the Boost frequency; then we have a High band Boost section with an extremely personal sound, because it’s built only with inductances, instead of the more customary capacitors. Our emulation has preserved all these sound features and we are very proud of the result.
Cobalt Comp
It’s an extremely versatile tube compressor. Thanks to Acustica technology, we have been able to faithfully reproduce the original device. CORE X contributed to create a masterpiece able to reproduce the behaviour of the hardware, and at the same time, it provides a number of plug-ins considerably more tolerable CPU consumption.
Cobalt Pre
Cobalt Pre includes 5 different tube preamps to add great warmth.
They precisely emulate the phase, frequency response and harmonic distortion of their corresponding circuits.
The best use of these colors can only be decided by user on a case per case basis and the engineer’s final judgment should always depend on his/her own ears and imagination.
Cobalt Dynamic Eq
The real novelty of this suite is our Cobalt Dyn EQ (dynamic equalizer), the first of its kind.
Just like with audio productions, our idea was created as a sort of remix of COBALT EQ and COBALT COMP. The result of this is an incredible Dynamic EQ, the first of it’s kind based on sampling characterized from some new and important features.

All details in our user's manual
Direct link to downaload it:
https://app.box.com/shared/static/q36gw ... 9wzxl6.pdf

Cobalt Commercial page:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Cobalt is out! Pre-order (20%OFF)

Post by giancarlo » Mon May 29, 2017 4:32 pm

cobalt dynamic eq will feature presets, we'll post an update on next days featuring main ones (de-esser, reverb mids, general ones)

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Mon May 29, 2017 7:37 pm

The EQ is said to be Pultec-inspired. Is the compressor Phoenix-inspired ?
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon May 29, 2017 8:09 pm

Eq is pultec inspired, but it is far from pultec (exactly like M****y is far from pultec, or dw fearn)
Compressor is altec inspired, exactly like violet original hardware is (so the phx) But you could compare them directly in dyneq plugin

deanpokorny
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by deanpokorny » Mon May 29, 2017 8:17 pm

Great job guys, it sounds amazing, the preamp, the comp and dyn eq, especially the hi shelf in eq is really something
Without music, life would not be same...

llesne
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by llesne » Mon May 29, 2017 8:39 pm

Are the preamps the same than the valve preamps found in the Gold Pre plugin (the red buttons) ?
iMac late 2013, 3.1 GHz Intel Core I7, 16 Go RAM, OSX 10.9.5 - Reaper 5.76 - Lynx Aurora (n) Thunderbolt

Nebula 3 Server, Navy, Ochre, White2, Tan, Gold, Charly Limited, Ruby, Amethyst, Lemon, Ebony, Pink 2 & more coming I guess...

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon May 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Nooooo
They are derived from an hardware preamp created by xelius, together with original compressor and eq preamp
Please check the manual!

llesne
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by llesne » Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 pm

Thx for the answer ! Sorry I downloaded the manual but went directly to the dynamic eq section :mrgreen: ! Good to know.
iMac late 2013, 3.1 GHz Intel Core I7, 16 Go RAM, OSX 10.9.5 - Reaper 5.76 - Lynx Aurora (n) Thunderbolt

Nebula 3 Server, Navy, Ochre, White2, Tan, Gold, Charly Limited, Ruby, Amethyst, Lemon, Ebony, Pink 2 & more coming I guess...

SlayermanGR
User Level II
User Level II

Post by SlayermanGR » Mon May 29, 2017 10:33 pm

giancarlo wrote:cobalt dynamic eq will feature presets, we'll post an update on next days featuring main ones (de-esser, reverb mids, general ones)
Besides those presets that would be more than welcome, can anyone provide some more insight regarding the dynamic EQ functionality?

I am not sure I grasp the concept although having read the manual (quite some times, but I'm obviously not feeling really bright today :D )...

Does EQ2 control both EQ1 + Comp or only EQ1?
How is gain reduction connected with the range of the equalization curve?
Maybe a simple real-life usage example would be helpful to solve the dynamic EQ mystery in my head? :geek:

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob questions!
Amethyst, Azure, Cobalt, Coral, Crimson, Diamond, Ebony, Gold, Ivory, Lemon, Lift, Lime, N4, Pearl, Pink 2, Pink, Pink Compressors, Ruby, Sand

UrbSgt
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by UrbSgt » Mon May 29, 2017 10:54 pm

Hey, these preamps are really great! I feel significant improvement here..

Will test eq and comp tomorrow.

mathias
Expert
Expert

Post by mathias » Mon May 29, 2017 11:19 pm

SlayermanGR wrote:
giancarlo wrote:cobalt dynamic eq will feature presets, we'll post an update on next days featuring main ones (de-esser, reverb mids, general ones)
Besides those presets that would be more than welcome, can anyone provide some more insight regarding the dynamic EQ functionality?

I am not sure I grasp the concept although having read the manual (quite some times, but I'm obviously not feeling really bright today :D )...

Does EQ2 control both EQ1 + Comp or only EQ1?
How is gain reduction connected with the range of the equalization curve?
Maybe a simple real-life usage example would be helpful to solve the dynamic EQ mystery in my head? :geek:

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob questions!
eq 2 lives on the sidechain only! either internal or external, when ext is switched on. it doesn't influence the audiopath, only the compressor-action through the sidechain.

if dynamic eq is switched off (lower right section), you have an eq (eq 1) that is feeding the comp in serial.
if dynamic-eq is switched on, the eq-bands of of eq 1 react to the compressor, so when there is gainreduction on the comp, the eq bands will either add gain or diminish gain, respective to the setting of the gain of a eq-band.

that's it in a nutshell ... :-)
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB

Will The Weirdo
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Will The Weirdo » Mon May 29, 2017 11:51 pm

Cobalt overview video.

https://youtu.be/6guBN0lj4OI
System 1 - i7 5820K Win 7 x64, Studio One 3.5, Reaper 5.4, Live 9.72

System 2 - AMD 1100T Win 7 x64, PT HD2 10.3.7

"In cognitively demanding fields, there are no naturals." - Simon and Chase

be a gorilla

Post by be a gorilla » Tue May 30, 2017 1:02 am

purchased.
CobaltAU is just Trial Version!!
can't sent a ticket
please help

tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by tumburu » Tue May 30, 2017 1:10 am

I can confirm that. Not only AU but also VST versions of the eq uploaded are the trials.

jus11
User Level X
User Level X

Post by jus11 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:15 am

tumburu wrote:I can confirm that. Not only AU but also VST versions of the eq uploaded are the trials.
Indeed.