GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
Grundstein
User Level I
User Level I
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:06 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by Grundstein » Sat May 13, 2017 9:12 am

Weird Metering in Gold:

I just downloaded and installed the newest version of Gold and Amethyst 3 and compared the Metering on both strips. Amethyst 3 is perfectly calibrated to -18 dBFS / 0 VU whereas Gold is far off (the Needle is barely moving). And the alternative Skin is also totally useless for an Audio-Level of -18 dBFS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtBpLPTnoQY

Metallic Noise Burst in Gold PRE:

Even after the new Gold-Update, there's still this metallic Noise Burst in Gold PRE. I compared it again to Amethyst 3 PRE where there's no such behavior (both should be Core X as far as I know). Ticket was sent to Acustica-Audio 2 weeks ago with a link to my first video showing this burst. I have no clue if they watched it.

Also the metering in Gold PRE is as useless as in the Strip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDo2koL5z30

I really don't know why there's such a difference between Gold and Amethyst 3. And I really hope both Metering and the Metallic Noise Burst can be solved in Gold.

Anyone else experiencing this?

MacBook Pro Late 2013, OSX El Capitan 10.11.6, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, Ableton 9.7.2, Gold VST 64Bit and Amethyst 3 VST 64Bit

JulenJVM
User Level V
User Level V
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:30 pm
Contact:

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by JulenJVM » Sat May 13, 2017 10:56 am

I agree that the metering and calibration is off in Gold, as well as in Violet. The calibration is too low for -18 dbfs, you have to really dig on the threshold for the comp. If you adjust the pres visually, following the level shown by the needle, it makes you drive the pres really hard, which in turn produces that metallic sound reported above (just turn down the input and adjust by ear, that gets rid of the noise).

Also, the behaviour of the meter on the strip comp is weird. At a given threshold, the needle could be showing 1-2 db compression at short release times. But if you increase the release to say, 2 secs, the needle starts showing 6 to 10 db GR. Go back to short releases and the needle is barely moving again, so in the end, I compress by ear only, the needles don't reflect the real GR action that I heat. Do this test with the release times, and when you're on long release, start moving the Shmod button back and forth (2 to 4 to 1 to 4 to 1 to 2), and you'll see how the plugin can't follow the changes and gets stuck in Shmod 1 mode. You need to change the release to get the comp to act normal again. That's at least my experience on Cubase Win10, with the 2254 comp on the full strip.

edit: I´d also like to have a better resolution on the EQs gain pots, the actual knob action makes it a bit difficult to do small changes to gain

mike.piazza89
User Level 0
User Level 0
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by mike.piazza89 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Same issue with compressor and metering. Shame, I really want to buy this one.

User avatar
llesne
User Level VII
User Level VII
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:09 am

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by llesne » Mon May 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Hopefully it will be fixed, as Gold will be updated further to corex.
iMac late 2013, 3.1 GHz Intel Core I7, 16 Go RAM, OSX 10.9.5 - Reaper 5.76 - Lynx Aurora (n) Thunderbolt

Nebula 3 Server, Navy, Ochre, White2, Tan, Gold, Charly Limited, Ruby, Amethyst, Lemon, Ebony, Pink 2 & more coming I guess...

idrummer
User Level VI
User Level VI
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by idrummer » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi.
I would like to know when Gold pre-sale is going to end. I know that some people suggested that it was going to be today, but as Gold compressors and meters seem to have some issues (I'm guessing that AA is working on a fix) I'm not sure if I should buy it now.
My trial is about to expire and I love this plugin but I wouldn't want to buy a plugin that is going to be fixed on their next release (Gold2)I want to buy a finished product.

User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11135
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by giancarlo » Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 pm

I think we'll close it on monday

User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11135
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by giancarlo » Fri May 19, 2017 11:03 pm

idrummer wrote:Hi.
I would like to know when Gold pre-sale is going to end. I know that some people suggested that it was going to be today, but as Gold compressors and meters seem to have some issues (I'm guessing that AA is working on a fix) I'm not sure if I should buy it now.
My trial is about to expire and I love this plugin but I wouldn't want to buy a plugin that is going to be fixed on their next release (Gold2)I want to buy a finished product.
Raise a ticket in the case, there will not be further updates for the exception of certified bugs

idrummer
User Level VI
User Level VI
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by idrummer » Sat May 20, 2017 6:30 pm

giancarlo wrote:
idrummer wrote:Hi.
I would like to know when Gold pre-sale is going to end. I know that some people suggested that it was going to be today, but as Gold compressors and meters seem to have some issues (I'm guessing that AA is working on a fix) I'm not sure if I should buy it now.
My trial is about to expire and I love this plugin but I wouldn't want to buy a plugin that is going to be fixed on their next release (Gold2)I want to buy a finished product.
Raise a ticket in the case, there will not be further updates for the exception of certified bugs
Thank you for your answer G, maybe I missed something. Is there a new trial for Mac? Are the "volume jump"issues fixed then? Just asking because in Gold's web page there is still a warning saying Gold channel-strip (Commercial & Trial versions) can cause "volume jump" using some settings,
We reproduced this issue and we are working to solve it in a short time.
Fixed versions will be available soon.

TalmiK
User Level III
User Level III
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by TalmiK » Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 pm

idrummer wrote:
giancarlo wrote:
idrummer wrote:Hi.
I would like to know when Gold pre-sale is going to end. I know that some people suggested that it was going to be today, but as Gold compressors and meters seem to have some issues (I'm guessing that AA is working on a fix) I'm not sure if I should buy it now.
My trial is about to expire and I love this plugin but I wouldn't want to buy a plugin that is going to be fixed on their next release (Gold2)I want to buy a finished product.
Raise a ticket in the case, there will not be further updates for the exception of certified bugs
Thank you for your answer G, maybe I missed something. Is there a new trial for Mac? Are the "volume jump"issues fixed then? Just asking because in Gold's web page there is still a warning saying Gold channel-strip (Commercial & Trial versions) can cause "volume jump" using some settings,
We reproduced this issue and we are working to solve it in a short time.
Fixed versions will be available soon.

I didn't get anymore noise burst since they updated gold, a few days back, they might have forgotten to remove that warning. I don't know if the trial has been updated also or if it still presents that particular bug.
I7 6700K, 32 Gb ram, Win 7 x64 pro, RME Fireface UCX. Reaper 5, Samplitude pro suite X3, Cubase Pro 9.
Acquavox,Amethyst 3, Aquamarine 3, Cobalt, Coral,Diamond,Ebony, Gold,Ivory 3, Lime,Nebula 3 Server, N4, Navy, Ochre,Pearl2,Pink,Pink 2412,Pink 7236, Purple M5, Purple P1, Red EQ, Rose, Sand, Tan, Titanium 2, Ultramarine 3.

User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11135
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by giancarlo » Sat May 20, 2017 11:40 pm

We are keeping the message, even if solved
We'll remove it later

User avatar
Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:52 am
Contact:

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by Thierr7 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:52 am

I can't use the Eq's on my Master :oops:

I love the sound of equing a Kick for instance ... but i just can't find a good setting on my Master Bus ! even with several instances.

I'd like to know if i'm the only one ???

Besides i got plenty of other accurate AA Eqs i find easy to find sweetspots .

To make it short ,I feel a bit lost with the knobs of GOLD Eqs and how to get what i'm looking for :lol:

Cheers .

DarkandKurious
User Level X
User Level X
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:34 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by DarkandKurious » Sun May 21, 2017 6:26 am

Thierr7 wrote:I can't use the Eq's on my Master :oops:

I love the sound of equing a Kick for instance ... but i just can't find a good setting on my Master Bus ! even with several instances.

I'd like to know if i'm the only one ???

Besides i got plenty of other accurate AA Eqs i find easy to find sweetspots .

To make it short ,I feel a bit lost with the knobs of GOLD Eqs and how to get what i'm looking for :lol:

Cheers .
I wouldn't try to find a setting for a master bus - these EQs were designed as channel strips. The ones with recall (stepped settings for film consoles) has something like 3dB steps. There was a module made as an insertable EQ, like the compressor was an insertable module, but they were not common and few people knew about it. If you really want to use Gold on a master bus, start will all the bands switched in so that you get the interaction of the EQ network before you start working.

Also keep in mind if you are using 4 bands of 8066, you are getting twice the mid band network response, which didn't happen in the original (as it only has one mid band).

Given the 8122 EQ has less interaction between bands, it might be a better choice for bus EQ.

I like to think of the 8066 as an impressionist painting, like Monet, everything is in broad strokes of colour, getting a result quickly, that makes you feel like you are there. I use a finer control EQ like Coral to frame my buses.
macOS Sierra, ProTools 12.8
Navy, Purple, Pink 2412/7236, Ultramarine, Coral, Lime, Pearl, Diamond, Gold, Cobalt, Ebony

User avatar
Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:52 am
Contact:

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by Thierr7 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:59 am

Thanks DarkandKurius !

It really makes sense now that GOLD is a great channel strip and not a Mastering unit :roll:

I was confused because other tools like SAND or LIME and CORAL of course are great for Mastering purposes and could work on single channels or busses as well .

Thanks for your detailed clarification , it's indeed working fine on single tracks ...

User avatar
babiuk
Vip Member
Vip Member
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:16 am

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by babiuk » Sun May 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Anyway in the times of the first or oldest N*** console I think they used the console as final step before going to mastering room where they transfer to vinyl, I think it is what they have then and this may be how they did it, let me know please if anyone have more info. So I find reasonable to use the "bus" (labelled button) choice on the pre's section as final step. I mean the times of really first N***, I think they didn't have a mastering desk then.

And another matter is the EQ for mastering, in the cutting room they may have used some external EQ or limiting gear but then the "mastering" was just doing a good transfer to vynil, so the sound in the tape included the EQ choices and the mix was almost the final sound, the cutting/mastering process included EQ work but not in an so artistic or aesthetical way. So I think the main EQ work was done in the desk(apart of some external EQ gear they could use) and that is why I think the oldest Gold desk may be used for mastering too(in that old sense). I know it is a workflow from that era and maybe for modern sound(maybe the interest of 99% of people here) you have to go to standard modern mastering workflow but at least I think with Gold you can re-create the chain of then.

Of course I hope someone with more knowledge or experience about this old methods could add some info on this and show me if I am wrong
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss

User avatar
Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:52 am
Contact:

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by Thierr7 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks "Babiuk" for the history side of it 8-)

Post Reply