GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
be a gorilla

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by be a gorilla » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 pm

rossharvey wrote:I always whack Ice9 plugin at the end of my master.

http://www.cerberusaudio.com/Software/Products/Ice9/

You simply set a dB threshold and it mutes audio if it passes it. Saved my speakers in the past from such things! Uses hardly any CPU either.
nice! thanks for this tip!

heraldo_jones
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by heraldo_jones » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:12 am

I know it could be a totally stupid thing, but in these hardwares which have relays, I would love to hear a relay sound everytime I push a button :lol:

Johnkenn
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Johnkenn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 am

Pardon my newbie-ness, but looking at the download folders...what is the "upgrade" zip?

Also, should I be re downloading the different revisions? Like if I have C, I now need to download D?

Johnkenn
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Johnkenn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:19 am

And is the idea to put the pres on every channel? I currently do this with Slate VCC...

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:55 am

Johnkenn wrote:Pardon my newbie-ness, but looking at the download folders...what is the "upgrade" zip?

Also, should I be re downloading the different revisions? Like if I have C, I now need to download D?
Running the latest version recommended.

As to 'UPGRADE'. Often time this has to do with adding VECTORS for 48k and 88k samplerates. If you run sessions at those rates ... add the UPGRADE.

2. PreAmps. If a track tells you it wants a PreAmp ... how can we ignore.

These are NOT your grandmas PreAmps [with all respect to grandmama. And they are definitely not the popular 'algo' editions.

Put BOTH on and A/B. Chose what you prefer ... maybe none. Maybe try a several different Pres. I've used Consoles, EQ's, Compressor, Tapes, and specific Preamp collections. There are so many choices and flavors. Some are so subtle ... until you BYPASS them.

After enough listening, evaluating, you'll find favorites.

Further ... there is nothing to prevent using a variety throughout the project. [it has been called the 'spice of life'].
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

eaccin
User Level X
User Level X

Post by eaccin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:57 am

Gold is really the greatest gear I've come across. I won't call it a plugin, it's beyond that. Yesterday I mixed a song that was recorded live. Acoustic guitar, wurlitzer, acoustic bass and vocal. Gold was the only thing on inserts and then Pearl, Gold Pre and a limiter on the mix bus. Its ridiculous how good this thing is. Congrats again Giancarlo and AA. keep it up!

I'm still getting those loud peaks on PT 12 when activating compressors though. But its something I'm used to it now, I just have to remember to mute my main out when engaging it. Other than that its disneyland here :P

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 am

The peaks will be fixed... and i guess they are working on ringing and further minor bugs as usual. In the end after some weeks everything is fine.

I hope the fixes will not kill the great sound. I really love the comp, feeling of the meters... feeling of the knobs. Really good and it is a very nice and musical release.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

garbage914
User Level II
User Level II

Post by garbage914 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 am

mchillak wrote: I am having issues getting past 20 instances of any of my acustica plugins. Every time I do I get a crash. I'm on Win10 and it happens in Cubase 9, Studio One, and Ableton. Is this a known issue? Im definitely not running out of cpu power or ram (6850k cpu, 64gb ram). Never realized it until now and of course now its all I can think about.

Anyone else experienced this?
I'm on Windows 10/Cubase 9 with a 6950 and 32Gb of RAM, and I also get troubles when adding around 25 Acquas. Usually not a crash, but I'll start to get new Acustica plugins I add saying they need to be authorized. And some of the Acustica plugins already in the project will start to have their knobs jump to zero and stay there until I reload the project. Happens even when I'm at 50% CPU and 50% RAM. I wrote to Acustica tech support and they thought that I may be maxing out the number of processes Windows 10 can run at a time, so I'm experimenting with killing as many processes as I can while keeping a running computer.

Blown away by Gold. So much fun to mix with.
Intel I7 6950, Windows 10, 24 GB RAM, Pink, Pink Bundle, Amethyst, Purple, White, Scarlet, Navy, Lime, Pearl, Sand, Blue, Nebula4, UA Apollo 8, Antelope Orion 32

DavideBurattin
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DavideBurattin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:18 pm

garbage914 wrote:
mchillak wrote: I am having issues getting past 20 instances of any of my acustica plugins. Every time I do I get a crash. I'm on Win10 and it happens in Cubase 9, Studio One, and Ableton. Is this a known issue? Im definitely not running out of cpu power or ram (6850k cpu, 64gb ram). Never realized it until now and of course now its all I can think about.

I'm on Windows 10/Cubase 9 with a 6950 and 32Gb of RAM, and I also get troubles when adding around 25 Acquas. Usually not a crash, but I'll start to get new Acustica plugins I add saying they need to be authorized. And some of the Acustica plugins already in the project will start to have their knobs jump to zero and stay there until I reload the project. Happens even when I'm at 50% CPU and 50% RAM. I wrote to Acustica tech support and they thought that I may be maxing out the number of processes Windows 10 can run at a time, so I'm experimenting with killing as many processes as I can while keeping a running computer.

Yep, I think that there is a limit of around 20 Nebula instances before starting to have random issues, like blank GUI, strange behaviours, and some crashes. This is also seems to be independant from the OS, RAM and CPU run.
I guess also that complex acuqas like i.e. White2 or Gold channel strip, features several Nebula instances in one wrap.
Somebody can confirm this? Giancarlo?
And is it there any future improvement planned for this limit?
Any workaround to avoid this issue?

The strange thing is that I have this issue even if I freeze the tracks in Cubase pro 8.5, unloading temporarily the plugin! Maybe it's a RAM/OS limit?

JRMusic
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by JRMusic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:42 pm

DavideBurattin wrote:
garbage914 wrote:

Yep, I think that there is a limit of around 20 Nebula instances before starting to have random issues, like blank GUI, strange behaviours, and some crashes. This is also seems to be independant from the OS, RAM and CPU run.
I guess also that complex acuqas like i.e. White2 or Gold channel strip, features several Nebula instances in one wrap.
Somebody can confirm this? Giancarlo?
And is it there any future improvement planned for this limit?
Any workaround to avoid this issue?

The strange thing is that I have this issue even if I freeze the tracks in Cubase pro 8.5, unloading temporarily the plugin! Maybe it's a RAM/OS limit?

I get the same response Aqua wise on Win 8.1, Cubase 9 etc.
About 8 months ago, Steinberg had a statement on their website that they were aware of the plugin limitations between Cubase and Windows, and were in discussion with Microsoft on improving the issue. Heard nothing more since! :roll:
This may be part of the reason.

Gotta thank AA for GOLD. Nice clear sound structure and EQ's that bring things to life. :o
I think this is going to change my goto stuff! But then again, I am British. ;)

Kamui76
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by Kamui76 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Congrats G and AA team for this beast.
Sounds really amazing. Still testing/learning it, but I find the tone shaping options tremendous and really special.

I'm missing a Trim control on both the strip and comp modules.
I try to work around -18dB and I'm finding hard to tune the compressors if I need great amounts of gain reduction, or even moderate or little amounts, if the attack is slow or the ratio is low.
This happens in both compressor models but especially in 8052.
If you don't want to change the beautiful GUI, maybe the Trim control could be added as as little screw...

I also found the 8066 roll off so I did some tests.
Each band engaged seems to add this roll off, being the same in all bands, except the Hi one. It's a cumulative effect as you can see in the pictures.(last picture all engaged)
This happens with the other models too with different curves and a little more subtle, with the exception of 8122.

I'm not that familiar with N**e vintage gear. I only tracked once with a 8014 console with 1073/1066/1272 modules and I barely did any EQing.
I understand the roll off engaging the eq because of the design, but is the cumulative effect normal?
01 - 8066 Low Band On.png
Low Band On
02 - 8066 Mid Band 1 On.png
Mid Band 1 On
03 - 8066 Mid Band 2 On.png
Mid Band 2 On
04 - 8066 Hi Band On.png
Hi Band On
05 - 8066 Al Bands On.png
All Bands On

be a gorilla

Post by be a gorilla » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Kamui76 wrote:Congrats G and AA team for this beast.
Sounds really amazing. Still testing/learning it, but I find the tone shaping options tremendous and really special.

I'm missing a Trim control on both the strip and comp modules.
I try to work around -18dB and I'm finding hard to tune the compressors if I need great amounts of gain reduction, or even moderate or little amounts, if the attack is slow or the ratio is low.
If you don't want to change the beautiful GUI, maybe the Trim control could be added as as little screw.
plus one

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:49 pm

We avoided it because several customers had issues with it when preamp is not engaged... Maybe in the future we'll take it back
The little screw is an idea

soundroad
User Level I
User Level I

Post by soundroad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 pm

Kamui76 wrote: I'm missing a Trim control on both the strip and comp modules.
If you don't want to change the beautiful GUI, maybe the Trim control could be added as as little screw...
and a little more subtle, with the exception of 8122.
+1
That was my first impression of GOLD Comps.
Finally someone has mentioned this also!
All the other acqua comps I tried have a lot more threshold.

theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X

Post by theheliosequence » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:33 pm

+1 I'm also wishing for a trim/headroom screw for the compressor.
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, N3S/N4, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Black Series, Blue, Cobalt, Coral, Diamond, Ebony, Emerald, Gold, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lemon, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp, Purple, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White