THAPRODUCERZ
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by THAPRODUCERZ » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 am

My Review of Gold

I will do a full in-use review once the final version is completed

https://youtu.be/OcrNSqlV2Mg
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 4,GOLD 3, Amethyst 3, Pink,Pro-tools 12, Cubase 10 pro, Reaper 4, Fl-studio 20, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com

be a gorilla

Post by be a gorilla » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:51 am

lubomba wrote:
rossharvey wrote:everyone wants this
So true! Please add this and fix the meters :P

what he said. plus one

babiuk
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by babiuk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:02 pm

be a gorilla wrote:
Kamui76 wrote:Congrats G and AA team for this beast.
Sounds really amazing. Still testing/learning it, but I find the tone shaping options tremendous and really special.

I'm missing a Trim control on both the strip and comp modules.
I try to work around -18dB and I'm finding hard to tune the compressors if I need great amounts of gain reduction, or even moderate or little amounts, if the attack is slow or the ratio is low.
This happens in both compressor models but especially in 8052.
If you don't want to change the beautiful GUI, maybe the Trim control could be added as as little screw.
plus one
I find so hard to use the comps for -18 db tracks too, I work at this level or even less and the gold comps are not listening any signal, I have to use a plugin previous gold for add gain, I think it is like gold is not set for receiving -18 db signals?

And the needles on pre plugin stay fixed, no movement at all, I am on mac/reaper, is it any known bug for anyone of you?
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 pm

THAPRODUCERZ wrote:My Review of Gold

24db Gainreduction? Input raised full and Output low? This is not how i use the plugin. Lol.

The summary of the unit is okay, but the sounddemo not. Take a BD, a Bass, Vocals, Snare and parallel Drums and use it as an engineer :D They do a lot lesser Gainreduction. On Master e.g. i use 1 or 2 Reduction only.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

pleplo

Post by pleplo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:25 pm

flipnaut wrote:

24db Gainreduction? Input raised full and Output low? This is not how i use the plugin. Lol.

The summary of the unit is okay, but the sounddemo not. Take a BD, a Bass, Vocals, Snare and parallel Drums and use it as an engineer :D They do a lot lesser Gainreduction. On Master e.g. i use 1 or 2 Reduction only.
I agree. the vox sounded way better without Gold. not because Gold is not good. the vox did not need eq and comp and other. it sounded warm and natural already. if y ou wanted it to sound modern like you do so we can hear brightness and the comp working.its your artistic choice. I would not have done it
Last edited by pleplo on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Musician and mixer based in Montreal, Canada. Travelling to the Philippines recording and mixing music on the go. http://www.youtube.com/patrickpleau

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Btw. yesterday evening i worked with Reaper.It sounded and worked so good with Aqua PLugins like butter.

This is my first mix - I used Gold only!!! There are some Reverbs on the send. Elephant is on Master. Nothing else.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdrpzg4qa4fxw ... x.mp3?dl=0

...i know hardware sounds more lively and if I use other plugins (never use too much of the same)it would sound better... The tracks are'nt good. I really enjoyd mixing with gold in reaper!!!

The tracks can be downloaded here if you like to mix the song.
http://samsterkaudio.com/mixoff/Fighting_MixOff.zip

best,
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

DavideBurattin
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DavideBurattin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:50 pm

babiuk wrote: I find so hard to use the comps for -18 db tracks too, I work at this level or even less and the gold comps are not listening any signal, I have to use a plugin previous gold for add gain, I think it is like gold is not set for receiving -18 db signals?

And the needles on pre plugin stay fixed, no movement at all, I am on mac/reaper, is it any known bug for anyone of you?
I like very much the EQs and the pres, I'm having currently some problems to properly use (and, then, to well understand) the comps, maybe for a combination of meter + lack-of-trim issues. At this stage of Gold comp development I prefer SAND and LIME ones.

A peak metering for the pre, a trim and better vu meters for the comp, would make the whole product a killer.

I think there are also some incongrunecies in the EQs interface (wrong labelling in the different models) :?:

The preamps are quite heavy in CPU usage compared to the other similar products. But is good if this means better quality :mrgreen:

SoundForSoul
User Level II
User Level II

Post by SoundForSoul » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Will The Weirdo wrote:I tested Gold today on my i7 5820K OC'ed 3.8Ghz 16GB Ram PC at 1024 buffer in Reaper 5.40 on Windows 7x64 SP1 44.1Khz session on Audient iD22. My Windows ram usage was removed from the numbers below.

Gold channel strip release C
10 - 2.2GB RAM - 12-16% CPU
20 - 4.3GB RAM - 29-32% CPU
30 - 6.3GB RAM - 47-51% CPU
40 - 8.5GB RAM - 67-70% CPU
43 was my total before Reaper froze up.

Gold Pre release E
50 - 2.9GB RAM - 37-41% CPU
60 - 3.5GB RAM - 43-47% CPU
66 was my total after running the test twice as I should have been able to get close to 100, there may be some tweaking to do on this.... I reported it in beta forum.

Gold EQ release E
30 - 4.5GB RAM - 12-17% CPU
40 - 5.7GB RAM - 18-21% CPU
50 - 7.1GB RAM - 21-25% CPU
60 - 9.0GB RAM - 30-35% CPU
70 - 11.3GB RAM - 36-40% CPU
As my computer RAM total was at 14.7GB so I stopped at 70 instances, with 32GB of RAM I could easily see getting 100.

Gold compressor release C
50 - 1.5GB RAM - 18-21% CPU
70 - 2.5GB RAM - 25-30% CPU
90 - 3.0GB RAM - 32-36% CPU
100 - 3.5GB RAM - 38-42% CPU
I stopped at 100 because any more is ridiculous.

My testing method as always, Play a song in Reaper and pull up plugin to test, never stop the song except to restart it. Turn everything with heavy usage on within the plugin. Copy that plug to 10 channels. Pull up Windows task manager and write computer settings down settings. I do 10 channel because my i7 is an 8 thread, so the load would be uneven. Make a few small changes, different EQ or comp, then pull up another 10 instances, write down computer settings from task manager. Go until Reaper freezes or I run out of RAM or I'm at 100 instances.
On my hackie (4.2 oced 5960x with 16 gb ram - win 10 64 bit and Yosemite 10.10.2), on win 10, I got reaper 5.40 - 64 bit running smooth with 38 fully engaged (including comp on insane and different settings of eqs, pres and comps loaded) - as soon as I load the 39 th gold, reaper crashes (maybe it was because I only got 16 gb of ram), even after restart - moved the same project on mac, but I got small cpu glitches in reaper even at 30 instances, from now and then, even though I could load 48 gold instances of Gold, without reaper to crash, the glitches were disturbing already so I gave up. All of the inserts were on tracks, this time, not on subgroups (since it was the first time ever of opening Reaper, I didn't know how to make subgroups). On win 10, on cubase elements 9.0.2, I could load 29 instances of the same fully engaged GOld preset on tracks before the glitches occured (instead of around 25 on groups) while on Cubase Pro 9 on mac I could load around 25 Golds (both tracks or groups) before glitches occured.
Official Dealer of Acustica Audio Products in Romania. Please contact me at [email protected] for a direct presentantion of how AA products would fit your workflow. https://www.daw.ro/

jammer2nd
User Level V
User Level V

Post by jammer2nd » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:26 pm

good work on the vocals and the whole track
good review too
PINK BUNDLE, HONEY, NAVY, SAND+Fab4, pEArL2, Diamond
Win 10 / Reaper i7 479x, 8GB sdd (apps), 2 x ide (data)

Kamui76
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by Kamui76 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:28 pm

babiuk wrote: And the needles on pre plugin stay fixed, no movement at all, I am on mac/reaper, is it any known bug for anyone of you?
Same problem here with Mac and PT. I think it's a common bug for many users

rossharvey
User Level X
User Level X

Post by rossharvey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Kamui76 wrote:
babiuk wrote: And the needles on pre plugin stay fixed, no movement at all, I am on mac/reaper, is it any known bug for anyone of you?
Yeah needles don't seem to be calibrated for -18dBFS. I have to whack the input up (externally) to get them to move at all.

OSX & Live 9 (VST)

babiuk
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by babiuk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:22 pm

rossharvey wrote:
Kamui76 wrote:
Yeah needles don't seem to be calibrated for -18dBFS. I have to whack the input up (externally) to get them to move at all.

OSX & Live 9 (VST)
I have to do it too, and if it is just the needles movement then it is not a great issue, but I am afraid the plugin itself is not calibrated to -18, so I don't know if "needles moving" implies "nice gain staging" here
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss

MatteoScolari
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by MatteoScolari » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Kamui76 wrote: I also found the 8066 roll off so I did some tests.
Each band engaged seems to add this roll off, being the same in all bands, except the Hi one. It's a cumulative effect as you can see in the pictures.(last picture all engaged)
This happens with the other models too with different curves and a little more subtle, with the exception of 8122.

I'm not that familiar with N**e vintage gear. I only tracked once with a 8014 console with 1073/1066/1272 modules and I barely did any EQing.
I understand the roll off engaging the eq because of the design, but is the cumulative effect normal?
I noticed the same low end roll off and I believe that the cumulative effect shouldn't be there. I deeply love Gold but this issue is a bit of a mood killer when using more EQ parameters at once...
Giancarlo can you have this fixed so that we can love Gold even more :D

theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X

Post by theheliosequence » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:18 pm

One thing that I would like to request is when trying out different high shelf EQs, if you've selected 15kHz on the 8122, 8093, 8193 and then switch to either the 8066 or H073, then the later two are still "off". It would be very cool if once the 8122, 8093 or 8193 are "On" at any frequency, then the 8066 and H073 are also "On".

As far the low end dropping on the 8066, I would say stay faithful to the hardware in this instance. I've never had that particular EQ in front of me, but nearly every other N**e or N**e based EQ had a sonic change when engaging bands. It's part of sound and alters it's creative use. If the low end is dropping, then you may need to compensate, resulting in a different and more colorful sound depending on if and how you pull the low end back up. While others may not agree, I think it is at least a good idea to contemplate this workflow and how it effects creating a vintage N**e tone in the box.
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, N3S/N4, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Black Series, Blue, Cobalt, Coral, Diamond, Ebony, Emerald, Gold, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lemon, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp, Purple, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White