GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
pleplo

Re: GOLD Analog Dreamware Anthology - TBR 18-19th april

Post by pleplo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:36 pm

Musician and mixer based in Montreal, Canada. Travelling to the Philippines recording and mixing music on the go. http://www.youtube.com/patrickpleau

cjperez
User Level X
User Level X

Post by cjperez » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 pm

I love Steven Slate stuff... You can see how GOLD is making waves all over the place... Giancarlo, you have a big winner on your hands here.. .I'm demoing it currently, and i love the versatility in this plugin... It is really awesome...

Can't afford it now though, unfortunately...sigh :| :| :| :| :|
But, You got Slate Digital to take notice.... which is good.. As i'm a user of his products as well, i think it would be interesting to do some type of Collab between the two companies...

But yea, GOLD is a winner..
Intel Core i7 5820k 3.3ghz. 32gigs Ram, Samsung SSD, MSI X99A motherboard, Cubase 8, H******* Mixbus 3.3 & 2.5, Antelope Audio Zen Studio & Yamaha N8 Mixers. Win. 7 64 bit.

RE301

Post by RE301 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Congrats with this one AA!

I was curious if anyone could shed more light on the tube/valve preamps in Gold - I find this to be an intriguing addition to the anthology.... (excuses if this has been covered already & I missed it) ..

From the Gold manual:

"Tube preamps slot

After the development of this plug-in we have stum- pled upon a great valve based outboard module, so we decided to sample its preamps and include them in this project.

The incredibly flexible of the emulated unit can add further warmth and depth to your sound in a variety of applications. The high quality engineering makes it suitable for the most telling of mastering applications; its dedicated tube pre-amps can produce lush recordings and its se- ries mode valve drive can give a high class sparkling distortion for creative production.

Original gear has transformer coupled signal paths. It uses minimum component count and the shortest pos- sible signal path with valves as the only active devices in the audio chain. The output stage is gently driven in order to smooth out audio peaks. The audio signal is fattened whilst adding gain with extremely low noise.

We sampled 2 different stereo preamps (#5-6) from which we derived their MONO versions as well (#1-2 from #5 and #3-4 from #6) to provide any demanding customer with all possible solutions.
OFF button bypasses the preamp."

queleden
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by queleden » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:04 am

I want to congratulate all acustica audio who has involved in god creation.

It has all care of detail in each eq, comp and pre.

I think this is the new starting point on quality, "friendly" plugin resources (thinking in aqua a year ago) and years of experience of all acustica team.

You deserved honor and respect for all your career, be an honest company and your effort to bet quality in all of this years.

Mannymac

Post by Mannymac » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:56 am

Actually a good video by Slate! Shows VMR is really a great tool as well

pleplo

Post by pleplo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:19 am

Mannymac wrote:Actually a good video by Slate! Shows VMR is really a great tool as well
Yep! applying awful eq decisions on a fake digital drum loop without applying the goldpre and without putting everyting in context with some good human music and see the end results!

:) pretty close
Musician and mixer based in Montreal, Canada. Travelling to the Philippines recording and mixing music on the go. http://www.youtube.com/patrickpleau

Kamui76
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by Kamui76 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:48 am

pleplo wrote:
Mannymac wrote:Actually a good video by Slate! Shows VMR is really a great tool as well
Yep! applying awful eq decisions on a fake digital drum loop without applying the goldpre and without putting everyting in context with some good human music and see the end results!

:) pretty close
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe he did that terrible eq decision because it was the only way to match curves. I tried to match them at different settings and it's impossible.
If not, he's got very bad taste... ;)

kylen

Post by kylen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 am

Still putting Gold thru it's paces (or it's putting me thru my paces...lol) I'll have to agree with the request for peak metering, on the preamp especially. I didn't run into this on the console but turning up the single preamp module too loud it will sputter and send a spear thru my ears (headphones). Luckily Reaper and a protection limiter kicked in but I still got jolt from Gold's electrode...lol Nice job overall 8-)

Will The Weirdo
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Will The Weirdo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:36 am

I tested Gold today on my i7 5820K OC'ed 3.8Ghz 16GB Ram PC at 1024 buffer in Reaper 5.40 on Windows 7x64 SP1 44.1Khz session on Audient iD22. My Windows ram usage was removed from the numbers below.

Gold channel strip release C
10 - 2.2GB RAM - 12-16% CPU
20 - 4.3GB RAM - 29-32% CPU
30 - 6.3GB RAM - 47-51% CPU
40 - 8.5GB RAM - 67-70% CPU
43 was my total before Reaper froze up.

Gold Pre release E
50 - 2.9GB RAM - 37-41% CPU
60 - 3.5GB RAM - 43-47% CPU
66 was my total after running the test twice as I should have been able to get close to 100, there may be some tweaking to do on this.... I reported it in beta forum.

Gold EQ release E
30 - 4.5GB RAM - 12-17% CPU
40 - 5.7GB RAM - 18-21% CPU
50 - 7.1GB RAM - 21-25% CPU
60 - 9.0GB RAM - 30-35% CPU
70 - 11.3GB RAM - 36-40% CPU
As my computer RAM total was at 14.7GB so I stopped at 70 instances, with 32GB of RAM I could easily see getting 100.

Gold compressor release C
50 - 1.5GB RAM - 18-21% CPU
70 - 2.5GB RAM - 25-30% CPU
90 - 3.0GB RAM - 32-36% CPU
100 - 3.5GB RAM - 38-42% CPU
I stopped at 100 because any more is ridiculous.

My testing method as always, Play a song in Reaper and pull up plugin to test, never stop the song except to restart it. Turn everything with heavy usage on within the plugin. Copy that plug to 10 channels. Pull up Windows task manager and write computer settings down settings. I do 10 channel because my i7 is an 8 thread, so the load would be uneven. Make a few small changes, different EQ or comp, then pull up another 10 instances, write down computer settings from task manager. Go until Reaper freezes or I run out of RAM or I'm at 100 instances.
System 1 - i7 5820K Win 7 x64, Studio One 3.5, Reaper 5.4, Live 9.72

System 2 - AMD 1100T Win 7 x64, PT HD2 10.3.7

"In cognitively demanding fields, there are no naturals." - Simon and Chase

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:57 am

Reaper and Acustica Plugins match perfect. In Studio One i could only do 5 Gold. In Reaper 10 or 20 easily at 45% Cpu use. That says all. Studio One has big multicore problems.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:02 am

And Slate? Well he does everything to handle the shit storm small :) A company should never compare to others. Indeed it is marketing for acustica.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:04 am

flipnaut wrote:And Slate? Well he does everything to handle the shit storm small :) A company should never compare to others. Indeed it is marketing for acustica.
Eheh thank you

Mannymac

Post by Mannymac » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:55 am

I actually disagree with that Slate criticism.

The music sucks etc. yes.
But I command him for actually using Audio instead of words. We all should do that more often.

I love Acustica's tools and spent over 1000€ on them because to me they are the best.
But in no way is VMR a shit tool and nobody here has said that. He just tries to defend his modelling approach and it is his good right to do so AND he has some points.

Let me quote something from a Gearslutz user here regarding that test:

"That's nice test. It show me one thing.

Slate (back then) did tremendous and amazing job. IMHO. They really did. Fabrice apparently know his stuff. Don't shoot me now as being Slate fanboy because i am not (see my history) but i am being honest. Slate does i mean they really know how to code their stuff as well.

If you need fast tracking plugins, amazingly CPU optimized with great sound one should look at Slate range. If you have some more money why not having both? Slate and AA? "

In this video to me he just matched a setting nothing else.
Whether that setting was quality or not doesn't matter that much to me in this regards.

But his claim was always that he has the most accurate emulations. As we all agree on, there was something missing there. The reason he feels to defend himself is that now there seems to be a new kid on the block that does that better. Slate's strength now is that his tools are super CPU efficient in reaching that tone.

Me myself I stopped using VMR and am on combination of AA and Softube Console 1 is because I get to a great sounding point with Acustica faster.

lubomba

Post by lubomba » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:08 am

Well he used a lot of words in the description ;) but the point is he used this arguably bad audio comparison to actually say that there is no real difference in quality between the two - which is complete nonsense. But yeah - good marketing for acustica in the end!

rossharvey
User Level X
User Level X

Post by rossharvey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:20 am

giancarlo wrote:We avoided it because several customers had issues with it when preamp is not engaged... Maybe in the future we'll take it back
The little screw is an idea
+1000. It seems everyone wants this!

Please add it to the separates too.