User Level X
User Level X

Re: Coral

Post by kenbobplus3db » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:52 pm

giancarlo wrote:Filters detatched: no they cannot be detached
Alt click: maybe in the future
Trim: probably it is a trim - we'll keep you updated
Gain factor: the gui is already busy
Thanks for your consideration. Perhaps what I need is a separate (really great sounding) gain module-- throw in an M/S matrix, and I could see bracketing your other excellent plug-ins with some extra functionality.

I miss having L/R trim available at the input of the PINK compressors, and if you go with a gain-compensated input trim control on CORAL, I will need some kind of output control (which as you rightly pointed out, will be hard to fit on the GUI unless you do something like concentric knobs). Due to the noticeable difference in the sound of fixed point vs. floating point audio, I really rely on the output gain controls to build some headroom into my signal path.

bictor
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by bictor » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:13 am

Many thanks for the explanations, but why other compressor curves are so straight and this one isnt? Afaik the acquamuran and ultra are also mastering comps so they will have to have a similar curves i think.

What about the high end filter?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
Sand, Honey, Navy, Pink, Purple, PS Mix, PS Curve, PS Comp II, Cobalt, Emerald, White, Scarlet, Caribou, Pink Compressors, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral, Cobalt

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:00 am

Because in the hardware realm you have constraints and not all compressors are the same, and you need some careful design. Most of compressors act like "limiters", but the action is quite obvious at high gr -they are just brickwall limiters. As result of it they "pump" more easier than a compressor with a soft knee (this consideration is valid for saturators even if the effect is not pumping). Normally levelers are good for limiting short peaks, but worse for a gentle glueing mastering compression.
Luckily we have a single owner for both the devices who inspired aquamarine and coral and he told me he prefers coral hardware in almost all mastering sessions because it has more options but also because the "modern" tone.

I would place coral before a multibandb compressor and before a limiter

jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Post by jfjer379 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:45 am

wouldn't we use a lot of unnecessary CPU just to use the hp filter as internal side chain for the compressor
as i can see its not possible to turn off the eq without the filters

we need to engage all eq bands and filters just to use the one knob hp for internal side chain

what about adding a hp filter to the standalone comp as a solution?
i really like the option of internal side chain in a compressor without burning up my CPU resources :)

Thanks
I7 5820k • RME • Audient • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • El Rey • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory • Lemon • Lime • Magenta • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Ruby • Sand • Tapue • Titanium • Virgo • White2 • N3s • N4

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:40 am

I also would like to know more about the details of the graphs, and more of the technical-speak. A fair amount of it makes good sense, but not all of it, and I'm sure many others would appreciate a more thorough explanation.

One basic question to clear something up: on the graphs of curves, what are the units of measurement for the top/horizontal/x axis and the side/vertical/y axis?

And I also agree with jfjer about the HPF being built into the comp.

Looking forward to hearing Coral!

MG
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

DarkandKurious
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DarkandKurious » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:54 am

I find this announcement ridiculously exciting, and I love the sense of innovation. :o How much do I need to save up?
macOS Sierra, ProTools 12.8
Navy, Purple, Pink 2412/7236, Ultramarine, Coral, Lime, Pearl, Diamond, Gold, Cobalt, Ebony

Phelix

Post by Phelix » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:13 am

markgalup wrote:what are the units of measurement for the top/horizontal/x axis and the side/vertical/y axis?
Transfer curves is measured in dB, lat=treshold, vert=compression.
And I also agree with jfjer about the HPF being built into the comp.
I concur this!

On Coral strip, when eq set at 0 dB, I would assume the bands are disabled, relaxing the cpu. Switch is for A/B’ing.

I’m wondering about the M/S mode.
Does the routing allow compressing the mids with side-signal as trigger, when full stereo link is engaged?
Ableton⎜Studio One⎜Reaper⎜VST2⎜macOS10.13⎜[email protected]/32GB⎜RME ADI-2 Pro⎜ATC

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:42 am

In core8/9 there is pretty no advantage in disabling equalizers

jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Post by jfjer379 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:08 am

it would still be nice if we could use the eq as a normal eq though when we engage internal side chain

i miss the routing we have in Sand where i can use internal side chain and route the eq to be placed after the comp at the same time in the full Sand

since that's not possible in Coral it makes even more scene to me having a lp filter in the Coral standalone comp
that will provide more flexibility with a big + for lower CPU usage :)

Any reason why AA wont consider adding a lp filter to the standalone comp for internal side chain ?
I7 5820k • RME • Audient • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • El Rey • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory • Lemon • Lime • Magenta • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Ruby • Sand • Tapue • Titanium • Virgo • White2 • N3s • N4

Andrums
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Andrums » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:29 am

It is not clear whether Coral has internal side chain.
I dont see this type of routing.
Looks like 3 routing options:
-eq before comp in serial
-eq before comp in serial with external sidechain to comp
-comp before eq in serial.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:44 am

No second selection is eq routed in internal sidechain. Coral features only internal sidechain. But if you need external sidechain you can use the standalone compressor.
Coral is meant to be a single solution device

Andrums
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Andrums » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:48 am

giancarlo wrote:
Coral is meant to be a single solution device
Perfect solution

Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Thierr7 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:14 pm

- Will CORAL be a Plugin that wouldn't need a Final Algo Limiter ? it's still needed today in most Mixing situation.

-This would be something really great and a big plus for your Company imo ... :?:

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:36 pm

Coral is not a limiter, it is a compressor.
We'll start releasing limiters in 2017.
This year is focused on consoles/strip channels and compressors

realhomerecording
User Level III
User Level III

Post by realhomerecording » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 pm

giancarlo wrote:Than we have this:
Coral_FILTER.png
I think it is seriously the best elliptical filter to date.

Tomorrow we'll post pictures about the standalone preamp.
I had to do a search for Elliptical filter and found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_filter

I'm still confused on what an elliptic filter is useful/used for. Aiding sample rate conversion? Increase perceived stereo width?

Either way, I am definitely looking forward to this release!