SAND out now!

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
deehope
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: SAND out now!

Post by deehope » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Is Tan a good benchmark for sand/fab package? I have an old I7 2600k and was shocked to see at 96khz/24 bit 2048 I can run at least 30 instances of tan. At 64 buffers I can still run at least 20.
So would I be able to run a similar amount of buss comps, preamps and EQ's from sand?
Last edited by deehope on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:51 pm

Support wrote:
Avgatzeblouz wrote:
Avgatzeblouz wrote:Hey guys, I'm having my VST folder organised my own way, and I would like to move SANDBUS4 to my "compressors" folder. Is there an XML tweak I should do ?
I did open a ticket, but no answer so far. Can someone help me out quickly ?
Which ticket code?
TECH-0000002612
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:10 pm

deehope wrote:Is Tan a good benchmark for sand/fab package? I have an old I7 2600k and was shocked to see at 96khz/24 bit 2048 I can run at least 30 instances of tan. At 64 buffers I can still run at least 20.
So would I be able to run a similar amount of buss comps, preamps and EQ's from sand?
Yes just try the trial version, you have everything there
On our benchmarks tan has the same cpu load.

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:02 am

Finally purchased SAND today, after waiting for the dust to settle regarding preliminary bugs/improvements... Love this whole bundle - all the elements are fantastic. Somehow, while being extremely transparent, all of the elements of this strip are FILLED with harmonic color and character. It's unique and wonderful, and to me it is the closest to analog console sound I've ever heard ITB, far and away. This will be all over every one of my mixes, regardless of genre, instrumentation, etc.. Thank you Giancarlo and AA.

One observation/"issue": the delay between sample switching on the EQ, and bypassing on/off bands of EQ, preamps, and compressor settings are pretty slow - definitely longer than my other Acquas. It is most noticeable with the EQ. Is there an XML tweak for this? I am running the full version, not the ZL, in a 1024 buffer session in PT12.4 on a mac os 10.10.5. I don't need or want a support ticket, just curious if anyone is having the same issue and if there's a fix.

Thanks,
MG
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:26 am

I'll check with some of our testers ... but you may be able to edit the XML file ... DSPBuffer from 1024 to 512 .... HOWEVER .... <<<<WARNING>>>

There is another setting called <WORKBUFFER>, and is set at 131072. I do not know what this setting entails and would not make a change until an official word.

SAND is THE most complex, involved, ACQUA to date. Much more than visible to the eye.

We have used and altered DSPBuffer [with care] in a variety of ACQUAS and NEBULA.

2nd WARNING. Why not first, try the ZL version of SAND. This to see if your computer can even handle it, before making some XML edits.

Do that first ... then report back. By then we could have a more official statement.

BACKUP your XML file BEFORE editing :twisted:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:49 am

RJHollins wrote:I'll check with some of our testers ... but you may be able to edit the XML file ... DSPBuffer from 1024 to 512 .... HOWEVER .... <<<<WARNING>>>

There is another setting called <WORKBUFFER>, and is set at 131072. I do not know what this setting entails and would not make a change until an official word.

SAND is THE most complex, involved, ACQUA to date. Much more than visible to the eye.

We have used and altered DSPBuffer [with care] in a variety of ACQUAS and NEBULA.

2nd WARNING. Why not first, try the ZL version of SAND. This to see if your computer can even handle it, before making some XML edits.

Do that first ... then report back. By then we could have a more official statement.

BACKUP your XML file BEFORE editing :twisted:
Thank you, RJHollins - as always your advice is very helpful and welcome.

I will look into the tweaks you mentioned and wait to see if G weighs in on this matter.

I can definitely see how this is the most complex Acqua endeavor, and honestly, I don't have a problem with lag/delay if that's what's required to achieve these results. I am supremely respectful of the technology G and AA are pioneering and whatever it takes to get these extremely analog-sounding digital plugins working for me, I will happily do...beastly windows build perhaps? :)

MG
Mark Galup
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:46 am

Curious to hear what you find trying the SAND-ZL version [zero latency].

BTW ... the ZL version does NOT mean a lower quality, nor a LITE version ... so no concern there. It does use an alternate XML file configuration that offers a better 'real-time' response ... at the expense of higher CPU.

Worth a try. May help determine what your system is capable of ... let us know.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:54 am

RJHollins wrote:Curious to hear what you find trying the SAND-ZL version [zero latency].

BTW ... the ZL version does NOT mean a lower quality, nor a LITE version ... so no concern there. It does use an alternate XML file configuration that offers a better 'real-time' response ... at the expense of higher CPU.

Thanks again, RJHollins. I will definitely try this asap and let you know. Up to this point I had thought that the ZL version meant zero latency within the daw, but if in fact it makes the internal workings of the plugin more responsive that would be amazing. I have a pretty solid workflow of processing a few tracks and then freezing which I've come to love, so I'm curious to see if the CPU hit from the ZL version is workable.

MG
Mark Galup
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:03 am

Ok final version of sand will feature 2 important add-ons
- Presets! Sorted in categories
- An impressive tech for realtime sample rate conversion. So you switch to a different rate and the plugin is instantly synchronized with the new rate, loading other samples and so on. It works very well, we'll go in betatesting soon. It will be part of the standard core9 tech and nebula4

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:21 am

Phenomenal.
8-)

Pro5
User Level V
User Level V

Post by Pro5 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:04 am

giancarlo wrote:no, we decided it after a long brianstorming.
The only white product will be "sand".
I said if you didn't want it all white, and I see why (the coloured parts match up to pre and bus) then why not just make them LOOK like the other two? that is the 'surround' part of the GUI in the dark red to still give it the distinctive fab 4 look, but not a red border around every little element (each eq band and filter section and in/out section) I think it's that more than anything that is causing it to look like the poor relation graphically next to bus/pre. I wonder if you even understand what I mean? Just look at the filter and in/out section? the white parts look scruffy (as if the corners are chamfered differently), and having all those seperate white panels with red between them gives it a garish look vs pre/bus imo. You could easily have retained the rack ears/top/bottom red colour 'surround' while making the entire centre section more like main sand (the white stuff) just like you did with pre and bus. It actually looks like the odd-man out of the pack, not cohesive, due to this.

I realise I'm a PITA and probably helping no-one but it makes perfect sense to me to tidy up the centre section of the eq (all knob areas) into ONE cohesive white area just like BUS4 has with its knobs, without the excess red channeling between each and every panel - with a darker white/dark grey eq panel for switching eq types (matching up/staying with the context of main sand). This would be the best of both words, retains the coloured surround fab 4 branding but stops the main work area looking scruffy OTT.

Along those lines why have disparity between switching compressor type (A/C) on a single button, while eqs have 2 buttons to switch type, surely an 'a/b' on one button would be tidier and allow much easier automating/midi knob control in future when you allow them to be controlled that way (imo any switchable option should be on one button if it's only 2 choices - just like BUS4 has). It's easy to hit one physical button to switch eq types.

This would also reduce the button clutter on the edges and free up top/bottom room to give the red surround room to breathe.

I guess when I find an EQ that sounds as good as this I dream about it looking as good as it sounds, y'know? maybe that's my problem only.

That said, I'll stop going on about it now and let you focus on more important issues. thanks :mrgreen:

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:12 am

RJHollins wrote:Curious to hear what you find trying the SAND-ZL version [zero latency].

In zero latency instance we remove buffer, that is all, we use the same N2S and N2V files, so in digital domain that means, less latency and more CPU load, basically due there is less headroom for CPU interruptions.
Best regards,
Acustica Audio help-desk service and support.
https://www.acustica-audio.com/
Acustica Audio is a trademark of Acusticaudio SRL.

To contact Acustica Audio support go to the ‘Support’ in your Acustica Audio account.
We do not provide support via social networks, public forums, Acustica Audio forums, or email accounts.

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:17 am

One observation/"issue": the delay between sample switching on the EQ, and bypassing on/off bands of EQ, preamps, and compressor settings are pretty slow - definitely longer than my other Acquas. It is most noticeable with the EQ. Is there an XML tweak for this? I am running the full version, not the ZL, in a 1024 buffer session in PT12.4 on a mac os 10.10.5. I don't need or want a support ticket, just curious if anyone is having the same issue and if there's a fix.
There is no XML tag for that.
Best regards,
Acustica Audio help-desk service and support.
https://www.acustica-audio.com/
Acustica Audio is a trademark of Acusticaudio SRL.

To contact Acustica Audio support go to the ‘Support’ in your Acustica Audio account.
We do not provide support via social networks, public forums, Acustica Audio forums, or email accounts.

gussyg
User Level X
User Level X

Post by gussyg » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:43 pm

demo'd it .. it's great .. but I just don't need it
I've pretty much bought everything so far... 2412, navy, alex b neb stuff, I'm covered thx
can we see a reverb please .. eq's and comps are done for me thx
don't get me wrong if I was new to the party I'd be all over this.. but for us mature users it's a repeat of of what we have already, in a slightly different flavour....

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:52 pm

gussyg wrote:demo'd it .. it's great .. but I just don't need it
I've pretty much bought everything so far... 2412, navy, alex b neb stuff, I'm covered thx
can we see a reverb please .. eq's and comps are done for me thx
don't get me wrong if I was new to the party I'd be all over this.. but for us mature users it's a repeat of of what we have already, in a slightly different flavour....
I, respectfully, have to disagree. I also have many other Acquas and Neb libraries from almost all the other developers, and to my ears Sand is drastically different, and better than anything yet.

MG
Mark Galup
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com