Pink 7236 & 2412

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
Mercado_Negro
Expert
Expert

Re: Pink 7236 & 2412

Post by Mercado_Negro » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:28 pm

I've never met one single person, in internet or real life, who doesn't resort to presets for multiband processors. Starting from scratch? Sorry but that's not gonna happen, pro or amateur, everyone uses presets to get an idea of what a multiband processor does. Multiband plug-ins aren't for the faint of heart and it's a very difficult processor to understand and master. A set of presets is essential in this case (only for PINK7236). Believe it or not, presets sell plug-ins.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit

theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X

Post by theheliosequence » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:30 pm

kindafishy wrote:Personally, I am sternly and fervently against adding presets. I think they are fully unhelpful at best and damaging at worst.

How in the world can a mixer believe that selecting the "Rock Bass" preset can make any positive difference to their completely unique bass recording? The person who made that preset surely isn't able to listen to the mixer's bass track, make a judgement call based on what the song needs and then hand craft a preset to send to the mixer. It is a concept that makes no sense.

To go further, I think that presets are just about the worst thing that has happened to junior mixers and it is nothing short of a shame that they grow to rely on them.

I don't recall seeing any hardware compressors with "Smooth vocal magic sauce" buttons on them either.

I feel that presets have no place in Acustica products, but that is just my opinion. It goes past "well then just ignore them if you don't want to use them, kindafishy", because sorry, but I just don't support anything that tries to skirt around the simple concept of learning your tools and using your ears. Presets are poison.
While I agree that presets are silly on most simple EQ and Compressors...

Just because you think people are using presets in this matter doesn't mean that presets aren't useful to many professionals. For example, if I'm setting up the new Pink 2412 or especially the 7236 comp in a mastering session I'm going to choose my starting track and get to work. If the album is consistent enough then I will most likely use those settings as a starting point for other tracks. Do I want to waste time dialing in the knob settings on the 7236 10x or more? Nope. I'd like to make a preset for this project and start adjusting each track from there.

Another example, let's say I'm mostly using White or Scarlett3 as a mastering EQ. Every instance I might have to select, control link on, preamp on, high band on and it takes a moment to do so. If I had the option of saving a preset so that was my starting point I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

I would just use the built in preset manager of my DAW, but I'm currently hosting all Nebula and Acqua plugins with either Bluecat Patchwork (no VST preset support) or Nyrv Agent (it's own preset support currently does not work properly)...

Another plus of Acqua's having their own preset management is the ability to open presets across different DAWs. Let's say for example, I've done some more complicated synth sequencing along a full band recording in Cubase/Sonar/Reaper/Live and have a nice starting mix that I now want to bring into Pro Tools for a final mix. I can make presets within almost every other "profession" plugin I have (UA, DMG, Fabfilter, Slate, Klanghelm, TDR, Soundtoys, Eventide, IK Multimedia, L*****n, Valhalla, PSP, Plugin Alliance, Softube, Sonoris, Voxengo, iZotope, Waves, U-he, D16, NI, etc.) and it makes it much easier to work across DAWs.

And furthermore, I question why would you care so much how other people use presets anyway? If junior mixers don't know how to use the tools, a preset is not going to make a huge difference in the end. Either they experiment and eventually learn or they don't. I don't think it's anyone's responsibility to babysit and I certainly don't see any reason to limit this technology as long as it can be done in a non-intrusive/elegant way and it doesn't distract too much from updates, N4, the new auth system and updated website...

Acustica has a lot on their plate and I can't say it's a priority, but I think that a preset system is important for many different people's workflow (and has nothing to do with "Rock Bass" presets). Anywho, absolutely no disrespect to you Kindafishy and I certainly agree that people shouldn't be slapping "Perfect Guitar" presets without question... just wanted to voice a different opinion on the matter.

Just tried 7236 for the first time on a master and found it surprisingly natural for a multi-band, which I rarely use. Was able to get a better result than 2412, which had a better result than Murano. Looks like Acustica has my money again.
Cary on!
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, N3S/N4, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Black Series, Blue, Cobalt, Coral, Diamond, Ebony, Emerald, Gold, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lemon, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp, Purple, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:54 pm

CPU usage as reported by REAPER.
Latest versions [maybe beta].

2412 - 1.8%

7236 - ~4.2%

all settings ON, no audio running.

i7-5820K, Win7[64], Reaper[64]@44.1k
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

focusrite
User Level II
User Level II

Post by focusrite » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:59 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:I've never met one single person, in internet or real life, who doesn't resort to presets for multiband processors. Starting from scratch? Sorry but that's not gonna happen, pro or amateur, everyone uses presets to get an idea of what a multiband processor does. Multiband plug-ins aren't for the faint of heart and it's a very difficult processor to understand and master. A set of presets is essential in this case (only for PINK7236). Believe it or not, presets sell plug-ins.
theheliosequence wrote:
kindafishy wrote:Personally, I am sternly and fervently against adding presets. I think they are fully unhelpful at best and damaging at worst.

How in the world can a mixer believe that selecting the "Rock Bass" preset can make any positive difference to their completely unique bass recording? The person who made that preset surely isn't able to listen to the mixer's bass track, make a judgement call based on what the song needs and then hand craft a preset to send to the mixer. It is a concept that makes no sense.

To go further, I think that presets are just about the worst thing that has happened to junior mixers and it is nothing short of a shame that they grow to rely on them.

I don't recall seeing any hardware compressors with "Smooth vocal magic sauce" buttons on them either.

I feel that presets have no place in Acustica products, but that is just my opinion. It goes past "well then just ignore them if you don't want to use them, kindafishy", because sorry, but I just don't support anything that tries to skirt around the simple concept of learning your tools and using your ears. Presets are poison.
While I agree that presets are silly on most simple EQ and Compressors...

Just because you think people are using presets in this matter doesn't mean that presets aren't useful to many professionals. For example, if I'm setting up the new Pink 2412 or especially the 7236 comp in a mastering session I'm going to choose my starting track and get to work. If the album is consistent enough then I will most likely use those settings as a starting point for other tracks. Do I want to waste time dialing in the knob settings on the 7236 10x or more? Nope. I'd like to make a preset for this project and start adjusting each track from there.

Another example, let's say I'm mostly using White or Scarlett3 as a mastering EQ. Every instance I might have to select, control link on, preamp on, high band on and it takes a moment to do so. If I had the option of saving a preset so that was my starting point I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

I would just use the built in preset manager of my DAW, but I'm currently hosting all Nebula and Acqua plugins with either Bluecat Patchwork (no VST preset support) or Nyrv Agent (it's own preset support currently does not work properly)...

Another plus of Acqua's having their own preset management is the ability to open presets across different DAWs. Let's say for example, I've done some more complicated synth sequencing along a full band recording in Cubase/Sonar/Reaper/Live and have a nice starting mix that I now want to bring into Pro Tools for a final mix. I can make presets within almost every other "profession" plugin I have (UA, DMG, Fabfilter, Slate, Klanghelm, TDR, Soundtoys, Eventide, IK Multimedia, L*****n, Valhalla, PSP, Plugin Alliance, Softube, Sonoris, Voxengo, iZotope, Waves, U-he, D16, NI, etc.) and it makes it much easier to work across DAWs.

And furthermore, I question why would you care so much how other people use presets anyway? If junior mixers don't know how to use the tools, a preset is not going to make a huge difference in the end. Either they experiment and eventually learn or they don't. I don't think it's anyone's responsibility to babysit and I certainly don't see any reason to limit this technology as long as it can be done in a non-intrusive/elegant way and it doesn't distract too much from updates, N4, the new auth system and updated website...

Acustica has a lot on their plate and I can't say it's a priority, but I think that a preset system is important for many different people's workflow (and has nothing to do with "Rock Bass" presets). Anywho, absolutely no disrespect to you Kindafishy and I certainly agree that people shouldn't be slapping "Perfect Guitar" presets without question... just wanted to voice a different opinion on the matter.

Just tried 7236 for the first time on a master and found it surprisingly natural for a multi-band, which I rarely use. Was able to get a better result than 2412, which had a better result than Murano. Looks like Acustica has my money again.
Cary on!
Well said!!

kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by kindafishy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:00 pm

No offense taken! I was just sharing my opinion and I am very happy to see yours. You raise some very good points. Using a present manager as a way to store one's own preferences and even transfer them across DAW's is an excellent idea.

As to why I care? I just do. I care about what other people are doing, what influences them, how they are learning and how they are developing. I just give a shit. I think that is a good thing and it would be better if more people did.

:)

PS - Doesn't change my conviction in regards to "Rock Bass" though ;)

spunkmuffin
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by spunkmuffin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:25 pm

theheliosequence wrote:I can make presets within almost every other "profession" plugin I have (UA, DMG, Fabfilter, Slate, Klanghelm, TDR, Soundtoys, Eventide, IK Multimedia, L*****n, Valhalla, PSP, Plugin Alliance, Softube, Sonoris, Voxengo, iZotope, Waves, U-he, D16, NI, etc.)
+1 ;)
RJHollins wrote:CPU usage as reported by REAPER.

2412 - 1.8%

7236 - ~4.2%

Very nice :D

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:38 pm

presets: they are planned for this year
Sorry but today the system is not ready

theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X

Post by theheliosequence » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 pm

kindafishy wrote:No offense taken! I was just sharing my opinion and I am very happy to see yours. You raise some very good points. Using a present manager as a way to store one's own preferences and even transfer them across DAW's is an excellent idea.

As to why I care? I just do. I care about what other people are doing, what influences them, how they are learning and how they are developing. I just give a shit. I think that is a good thing and it would be better if more people did.

:)

PS - Doesn't change my conviction in regards to "Rock Bass" though ;)
I dig! I secretly care as well and I'm right there with you on the "Rock Bass" preset! ;)
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, N3S/N4, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Black Series, Blue, Cobalt, Coral, Diamond, Ebony, Emerald, Gold, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lemon, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp, Purple, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White

Martinez

Post by Martinez » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:53 am

I think presets make a good starting point, as well as giving you an idea of what's possible.
They are completely useless for eq, but great for reverbs and compressors...especially compressors like these ones.

basaristudios
Expert
Expert

Post by basaristudios » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:26 am

2412 - 1.8%

7236 - ~4.2%

I don't think that is a correct test. In Cubase
with ALL ON and no Audio running CPU is at 0.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.

spunkmuffin
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by spunkmuffin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:38 am

2016 plan for G...

1. Add input trim to 7236 & release 2412 & 7236.

2. Code new authorization system. Use 5 year old subject to test. Release.

3. G starts new company called "Effortless Authorizations" to sell super-secure & super-easy new authorization system to other developers.

4. G abandons Acustica project because new authorization company is making so much $$$$$.

5. G moves to beachside resort in tax-haven of Antigua.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:45 am

Ahah something like that

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:48 am

[email protected] wrote:

2412 - 1.8%

7236 - ~4.2%

I don't think that is a correct test. In Cubase
with ALL ON and no Audio running CPU is at 0.
correct. THE way is readings via 'Task Manager'.
My post is relaying the values I viewed having just loaded the 2 plugs with Reapers' report.

I don't beta-test with Cubase.

I have REAPER pref set to NOT disable audio when stopped, so CPU consumption is always active.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

basaristudios
Expert
Expert

Post by basaristudios » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:29 am

Ah ok in Cubase is a little different. There is actually issues with Cubase CPU Performance.
Task Manager can show 5% while in Cubase you will go on Red and crash.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.

idrummer
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by idrummer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:42 am

Any news on the Mac side yet?
Is the CPU load on the Mac too high?