Acustica is pleased to release PINK2 suite, the dawn of CORE12!

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
drecchiarex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: Acustica is pleased to release PINK2 suite, the dawn of CORE12!

Post by drecchiarex » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:56 am

Hey all!

I must be doing something wrong. Pink 2 sounds great, BUT... it is waaaay off from hardware. I don't mean quality wise. I mean the curves. Every filter band is a completely different shape than the hardware.

If anybody else wishes to compare to the hardware, you can use this video (just use Soundflower etc to record the audio from YouTube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Bc7VK8w78

I was comparing to this video, but I also have a pretty deep sonic memory from using the real stuff in studios for some time. While I hear the overall textural quality I'm used to with Acustica, it is basically impossible for me to match the curves for just about any of the bands. Follow the video and duplicate the settings, and I hear Pink 2 seems drastically more "pinched" in every comparison, as though the Q was completely wrong.

I flipped the linear/proportional Q switch and that definitely wasn't it. That made almost no difference. Maybe there is an issue with that?

I bought this under the assumption I was getting "that" brand's legacy EQs, specifically because I wanted this to replace the hardware for me. The texture is there, but everything else is totally inaccurate.

Any ideas?

drecchiarex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by drecchiarex » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:58 am

OS X 10.12.6 - Mid 2012 i7 Macbook Pro

Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 10 64bit (tested in 44.1KHz, 16bit session)

Tested as both AU and VST

antago1
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by antago1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:09 am

drecchiarex wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:56 am
Hey all!

I must be doing something wrong. Pink 2 sounds great, BUT... it is waaaay off from hardware. I don't mean quality wise. I mean the curves. Every filter band is a completely different shape than the hardware.

If anybody else wishes to compare to the hardware, you can use this video (just use Soundflower etc to record the audio from YouTube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Bc7VK8w78

I was comparing to this video, but I also have a pretty deep sonic memory from using the real stuff in studios for some time. While I hear the overall textural quality I'm used to with Acustica, it is basically impossible for me to match the curves for just about any of the bands. Follow the video and duplicate the settings, and I hear Pink 2 seems drastically more "pinched" in every comparison, as though the Q was completely wrong.

I flipped the linear/proportional Q switch and that definitely wasn't it. That made almost no difference. Maybe there is an issue with that?

I bought this under the assumption I was getting "that" brand's legacy EQs, specifically because I wanted this to replace the hardware for me. The texture is there, but everything else is totally inaccurate.

Any ideas?
Earlier this year, I compared a video to Pink2 (the hardware 5500 eq, which was also sampled in Pink2). In my opinion, the gain and frequencies were different, but the character and dynamic behavior was almost identical, after matching by ear. The hardware was more pleasing and sounded more natural, but not by far. However, shortly afterwards (the next day), I bought it. I have a pair of 550Bs and when I'm not at the studio or need an extra pair, I feel completely confident that I'll get very similar results using Pink2. Just my opinion. Peace, always.

drecchiarex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by drecchiarex » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Yeah totally agree the overall character and texture is there, and that signature Acustica signal image fidelity that I know is there. I was just expecting the actual curves were the same. Otherwise it completely changes why I reach for this brand's EQ in the first place. Even matching to Pink1, Waves, IK... they are more "accurate" filter shapes to the original hardware.

Just hoping I"m not doing something wrong. I did notice there are separate 44/96 and 48/88 versions, although changing the session sample rate doesn't seem to change the sound.

drecchiarex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by drecchiarex » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Okay this is odd... I do not find this issue at all this morning. I did some further comparisons and the curves seem as expected, of course along with the brilliant image and coherency that only Acustica has...

Carry on everyone... :)

antago1
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by antago1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:08 pm

drecchiarex wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:00 pm
Okay this is odd... I do not find this issue at all this morning. I did some further comparisons and the curves seem as expected, of course along with the brilliant image and coherency that only Acustica has...

Carry on everyone... :)
This is great news, man. Glad that things are more aligned with your usual workflow. Acustica has the best quality, undoubtedly! Peace and happy mixing!