Pink

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
andiw
User Level IX
User Level IX

Re: Pink

Post by andiw » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:11 pm

If the meter in Studio One hits 100% then the audio starts to crackle. So I can use 4 instances of Pink.

Why should I use it without compressor? The compressor is the reason I bought Pink ...

And why should I look into activity monitor? 4 instances of Pink gives me crackled audio.

I played with DSPBUFFER in the xml and the best setting is 512. It is even worse with the original setting (was it 1024?).

My buffer in Studio One is 256 samples. If I set it to 512 then Nebula 3 server VST consumes each 20% instead of 1% ...
my music: aj-guitar.com

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:26 am

for your test.
Normally on our benchmark system we can run eq+compressor in insane mode and they require only double resources compared with a simple eq+preamp plugin (ie navy).
My suggestion is checking things carefully, so we can have an idea about your issues.

Using a cpu coming from 2015 and a 48Khz frequency rate, we can open 24 pink on a mac osx notebook and 43 on a mac osx desktop, everything enabled (insane, whatever), protools (performances are better in reaper, you can open 51 instances).
These are safe numbers, someone reported a number between 60 and 70, using a 1000 eur computer. The expected number of instances is around half of them at 96Khz. So in the worst case scenario you should open 12 pink instances (a notebook based on the 5th generation and not the 6th, mac osx, protools, 96Khz). From your description you can open 4: so possibly you are running an older cpu, but it should be really old (3-4 years ago at least, and a notebook, not a desktop).
If this is not the case open a ticket, we need more details about your situation.

About nebula: if you reduce the buffer and it is not nebula reverb you are truncating the kernels/impulse responses. So the cpu load decreases. You can reduce it safetly only if you are running a nebula reverb configuration, because it is based on multithreading.
We don't suggest to modify DSPBUFFER in acqua plugins, since multithreading is disabled in most of them. DSPBUFFER is an hack, not a normal parameter for acqua plug-ins. The situation is slighly different in nebula, since everything there is an hack. Other point, in nebula you load just a single instance and you have full control on it. In acqua plug-ins you have several instances, most of them are using different techniques and it is not simple to tune.

andiw
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by andiw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:23 am

giancarlo wrote:Using a cpu coming from 2015 and a 48Khz frequency rate, we can open 24 pink on a mac osx notebook and 43 on a mac osx desktop, everything enabled (insane, whatever), protools (performances are better in reaper, you can open 51 instances).
These are safe numbers, someone reported a number between 60 and 70, using a 1000 eur computer. The expected number of instances is around half of them at 96Khz. So in the worst case scenario you should open 12 pink instances (a notebook based on the 5th generation and not the 6th, mac osx, protools, 96Khz). From your description you can open 4: so possibly you are running an older cpu, but it should be really old (3-4 years ago at least, and a notebook, not a desktop).
If this is not the case open a ticket, we need more details about your situation.
I have a stock new MacPro 6 core, the CPU is: 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Maybe Studio One is the problem here, it is not known to be efficient on Mac ...
giancarlo wrote:About nebula: if you reduce the buffer and it is not nebula reverb you are truncating the kernels/impulse responses. So the cpu load decreases. You can reduce it safetly only if you are running a nebula reverb configuration, because it is based on multithreading.
We don't suggest to modify DSPBUFFER in acqua plugins, since multithreading is disabled in most of them. DSPBUFFER is an hack, not a normal parameter for acqua plug-ins. The situation is slighly different in nebula, since everything there is an hack. Other point, in nebula you load just a single instance and you have full control on it. In acqua plug-ins you have several instances, most of them are using different techniques and it is not simple to tune.
I'm probably too dumb to understand all this. I just played around with DSPBUFFER to see if it makes a difference ... So you say I should set the Pink back to 1024?
my music: aj-guitar.com

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:51 am

Yes: open a ticket
Yes, keep original dspvalue. You are allowed to increase it, not decrease
Possibly is related with studio one, but I'm not sure since they reported way less spikes in latest engines.

be a gorilla

Post by be a gorilla » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:09 pm

jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Post by jfjer379 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:58 pm

its a free version of one the pink eq`s
which can be downloaded in the next computerMusic issue 238
for free :shock:
I7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory3 • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • Titanium2 • White2 • N3s • N4

dagovitsj
Expert
Expert

Post by dagovitsj » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:27 pm

@ [email protected]: Do you know if it's possible to get this EQ if I purchase a digital version of Computer Music, or do I have to purchase the paper version?
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 [email protected] 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |

robschroeder
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by robschroeder » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:55 pm

If you buy the digital version you can download it from their web repository. Follow the instructions in the magazin.

dagovitsj
Expert
Expert

Post by dagovitsj » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks, Rob!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 [email protected] 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |

botus99
Expert
Expert

Post by botus99 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:22 am

PinkCM EQ looks great! I'm wondering though, will Pink be getting an official Sand/Coral "separate modules" treatment? I thought I saw that will be the standard for future products/updates. Pink's case could be special though, because it already has the channel strip and two separate compressors. All that could be done is separate EQ and preamp modules.

I don't want to go out of my way to buy an issue of a magazine for a stripped down version of what I already have... and still may be getting a more thorough update of at some point.

But... if there aren't any immediate plans for releasing separate Pink EQ or preamp modules, I won't be too upset :lol:
Win10 / Reaper / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM | ZED-R16 / Digi003 (Revive modded)
N4 - Orange, Blue, Purple, Pearl, Diamond, Ebony, Gold, Navy, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral, Cobalt, Lemon