DavideBurattin
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Amethyst 3 - TBR 10-11th may

Post by DavideBurattin » Fri May 12, 2017 12:13 pm

jfjer379 wrote:a continuous eq is a important feature in Amethyst IMO

i believe Sand and Lime eq`s will be continuous
in the future
i don't think that would necessary mean twice CPU usage as newer tech/core seems to be able to be more CPU efficient
To be honest, for a more surgical/continuous EQing is better to use an algorithm equaliser (is plenty, there are some very clean and cheap, they are extremely light in CPU).
AA products are for colouring (mojo, giving "real-thing" character) your tracks. Then, I think, an EQ that uses too much CPU, even with a recent i7, becomes pretty useless to me.
It would be interesting, then, to have a LITE version, with stepped values, Just like Lime, Sand, and the others.

brokenbobby
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by brokenbobby » Fri May 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Still there's no Win AAX plugin Trial((

TalmiK
User Level III
User Level III

Post by TalmiK » Fri May 12, 2017 5:13 pm

DavideBurattin wrote:

in the future
i don't think that would necessary mean twice CPU usage as newer tech/core seems to be able to be more CPU efficient
To be honest, for a more surgical/continuous EQing is better to use an algorithm equaliser (is plenty, there are some very clean and cheap, they are extremely light in CPU).
AA products are for colouring (mojo, giving "real-thing" character) your tracks. Then, I think, an EQ that uses too much CPU, even with a recent i7, becomes pretty useless to me.
It would be interesting, then, to have a LITE version, with stepped values, Just like Lime, Sand, and the others.

I've been testing it in reaper with several instances, strips, separated modules, the whole lot (I didn't aim at testing the max possible, just testing it on several tracks of an advanced project), it's not that bad on my side. Evrything is usable without pops, so far, and the works gets done with far less struggle (latency), than the previous Amethyst.
The precision is key in this one imho, it's like all acqua a tone machine but I find this one to be very subtil, extremely smooth, it doeesn't color in a drastic way like others do (which is awesome too), and that's what makes this one special to me. The continuous slope is completely part of that specific unit strenght, and how I use it. The continuous slope wouldn't be missed ,and isn't missed, in Gold, because yeah with this one precision isn't key. But Amethyst benefits greatly from that, precisely pointing at this or this frequency drasticely alters the outcome, a lot of details subtly change but they all add up big time, and spending time on searching the sweet spots is very rewarding with this one, although challenging.It's like algo indeed, but better, with tones.
I'm not against an extra version without continuous slope, but please keep this one as is and alive, it's really a big part of what this eq is.
I7 6700K, 32 Gb ram, Win 7 x64 pro, RME Fireface UCX. Reaper 5, Samplitude pro suite X3, Cubase Pro 9.
Acquavox,Amethyst 3, Aquamarine 3, Cobalt, Coral,Diamond,Ebony, Gold,Ivory 3, Lime,Nebula 3 Server, N4, Navy, Ochre,Pearl2,Pink,Pink 2412,Pink 7236, Purple M5, Purple P1, Red EQ, Rose, Sand, Tan, Titanium 2, Ultramarine 3.

llesne
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by llesne » Fri May 12, 2017 5:32 pm

TalmiK wrote:
DavideBurattin wrote:

in the future

I've been testing it in reaper with several instances, strips, separated modules, the whole lot (I didn't aim at testing the max possible, just testing it on several tracks of an advanced project), it's not that bad on my side. Evrything is usable without pops, so far, and the works gets done with far less struggle (latency), than the previous Amethyst.
The precision is key in this one imho, it's like all acqua a tone machine but I find this one to be very subtil, extremely smooth, it doeesn't color in a drastic way like others do (which is awesome too), and that's what makes this one special to me. The continuous slope is completely part of that specific unit strenght, and how I use it. The continuous slope wouldn't be missed ,and isn't missed, in Gold, because yeah with this one precision isn't key. But Amethyst benefits greatly from that, precisely pointing at this or this frequency drasticely alters the outcome, a lot of details subtly change but they all add up big time, and spending time on searching the sweet spots is very rewarding with this one, although challenging.It's like algo indeed, but better, with tones.
I'm not against an extra version without continuous slope, but please keep this one as is and alive, it's really a big part of what this eq is.
I totally agree. Mixing tools sometimes need to be precise :D !
iMac late 2013, 3.1 GHz Intel Core I7, 16 Go RAM, OSX 10.9.5 - Reaper 5.76 - Lynx Aurora (n) Thunderbolt

Nebula 3 Server, Navy, Ochre, White2, Tan, Gold, Charly Limited, Ruby, Amethyst, Lemon, Ebony, Pink 2 & more coming I guess...

Nesto
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by Nesto » Fri May 12, 2017 5:55 pm

I agree. It is beautiful as is. I was hoping for a Shelford channel but B equalizer and standalone compressor have killed that lust. Great per channel or surgical eq as well. Really love it so far.

TalmiK
User Level III
User Level III

Post by TalmiK » Fri May 12, 2017 5:57 pm

llesne wrote:
TalmiK wrote:

I totally agree. Mixing tools sometimes need to be precise :D !

Right ?!! :lol: , and Amethyst3 is just perfect in this role. The whole thing : smooth, on point, precise. I love this insatiable workhorse with an attitude.
I7 6700K, 32 Gb ram, Win 7 x64 pro, RME Fireface UCX. Reaper 5, Samplitude pro suite X3, Cubase Pro 9.
Acquavox,Amethyst 3, Aquamarine 3, Cobalt, Coral,Diamond,Ebony, Gold,Ivory 3, Lime,Nebula 3 Server, N4, Navy, Ochre,Pearl2,Pink,Pink 2412,Pink 7236, Purple M5, Purple P1, Red EQ, Rose, Sand, Tan, Titanium 2, Ultramarine 3.

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Fri May 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Completely agree with the above. Amethyst was my first love with acqua and this upgrade is reminding me why. The control is amazing, and it's so characterful while somehow being very transparent. It's the perfect balance between Lime which is a little slick/gentle for my taste, and Sand which can be just a little too aggressive. I'm going to be using this all the time.
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

llesne
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by llesne » Fri May 12, 2017 9:42 pm

I have a question regarding summing.

---> If I use a similar preamp on every channel of a mix, for example 9098 for the guitar, for the drum bus, for the lead synth, the pad, the voice, the barks and meow samples, will the result sum up like it does in the hardware realm ?

Can someone explain how the acqua technology deals with non-linearity ?
iMac late 2013, 3.1 GHz Intel Core I7, 16 Go RAM, OSX 10.9.5 - Reaper 5.76 - Lynx Aurora (n) Thunderbolt

Nebula 3 Server, Navy, Ochre, White2, Tan, Gold, Charly Limited, Ruby, Amethyst, Lemon, Ebony, Pink 2 & more coming I guess...

Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Thierr7 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:24 am

:?
Last edited by Thierr7 on Sun May 14, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavideBurattin
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DavideBurattin » Sat May 13, 2017 1:15 am

I was intending for a LITE stepped version of the EQ.
That doesn't mean that the full continuous version has to be cut-out.
C'mon guys.

I.E. there is the Primestudio Comp in two versions, one full and the other one lite, and everyone is happy.

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Sat May 13, 2017 2:00 am

DavideBurattin wrote:I was intending for a LITE stepped version of the EQ.
That doesn't mean that the full continuous version has to be cut-out.
C'mon guys.

I.E. there is the Primestudio Comp in two versions, one full and the other one lite, and everyone is happy.
This is a GREAT idea.

Passive Massive
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by Passive Massive » Sat May 13, 2017 6:05 am

can I combine the 10% off this pre-order with a 10% previous purchase discount?

Altamir
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Altamir » Sat May 13, 2017 6:40 am

Is nobody missing a routing matrix (like those present in newer strips)? I think its absence somehow gives it a bit of a "little brother" feel. :roll:

The meters are also better than other AA products. I wish there was a bit more consistency between them.
i7 2600 | Reaper | Sand FAB4 | Lime | Coral | Gold | Nebula 4

UrbSgt
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by UrbSgt » Sat May 13, 2017 8:15 am

So the difference in cpu between the 2 eqs in Amethyst could be a bug? It's 1.5% vs 0.7% on my system.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat May 13, 2017 8:29 am

If amethyst2 is sensibly lighter just report it
Check the compressor is working of the old mode for a proper comparison