Question about compressor file sizes (vs. EQ sizes)

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..
PanaxMix
User Level 0
User Level 0

Question about compressor file sizes (vs. EQ sizes)

Post by PanaxMix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:03 am

This is a newbie / naive kind of question, but I was curious about the library files sizes when it comes to compressors vs. eq's.

For example, the Ultramarine library is less than 100 mb, while the Azure (non HQ) library is over 600, and Azure HQ 1.4 gigs!

For EQ, it looks like the volterra kernel modeling is used for each EQ band and also the preamp. For compressors, it looks like it's used for the preamp, but I'm wondering how Acustica models the other parts of the compressors, given how the libraries are so much smaller for them. For example, if you don't include the preamp library files for Ultramarine, then the rest of the libraries are only about 30 mb total!

Do the compressors still use the volterra kernel modelling, or do they use some other kind of modelling (i.e., circuit or some other proprietary type).

I'm not trying to imply that this means Acustica compressors aren't great or anything based on this, I'm just curious as to how the tech is working (in as much as you can explain without giving away any undisclosed trade secrets).