(User's Recommendation) Computer System to work v Neb/Acqua

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..
denork
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: (User's Recommendation) Computer System to work v Neb/Acqua

Post by denork » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:52 am

I have 2 quotes in my hand, one with AMD TR 1950X (16 cores) and the other with intel i9-7920X (12 cores).

What do you recomend me? Aqcua's is ready to make use of 16 cores?

Skolton
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by Skolton » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi Guys,

New to the world of Acustica Audio and very excited to start building up my plugin list. The one worry I had stepping into these plugins was resource issues as my workflow requires as little interruptions as possible (I know im not the only one). I was demoing some plugins and bought the Gold2 - during this time I was having huge cpu spikes. Adding a plugin during playback would stop my system. I decided to disable hyper-threading in my bios and wow what a difference for these plugins and my sessions in general.

Anyways, maybe this will help someone.

Im on a i9 7940 with 64GB ram on Pro Tools Ultimate. My sessions are in 48khz/24Bit. Ill post more updates as I hit the plugins harder.

cheers

davidgary73
Expert
Expert

Post by davidgary73 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:17 am

From cinematree
A list of CPU comparison for Acquas along with a few nebula libraries. Test was done in Reaper on Windows 10 Pro (1803) with an i9 x7940, 44.1and dsp buffer on all plugins set to 2048:
Acquas (max to min) gs.jpg
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram • Logic Pro X 10.4.1 • OSX 10.12.6 • VEP 6 • Console 1 •

Please join us - Facebook Acustica Audio Official Group page @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/2161186247437661/

kenbobplus3db
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by kenbobplus3db » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Skolton wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:28 pm
Hi Guys,

New to the world of Acustica Audio and very excited to start building up my plugin list. The one worry I had stepping into these plugins was resource issues as my workflow requires as little interruptions as possible (I know im not the only one). I was demoing some plugins and bought the Gold2 - during this time I was having huge cpu spikes. Adding a plugin during playback would stop my system. I decided to disable hyper-threading in my bios and wow what a difference for these plugins and my sessions in general.

Anyways, maybe this will help someone.

Im on a i9 7940 with 64GB ram on Pro Tools Ultimate. My sessions are in 48khz/24Bit. Ill post more updates as I hit the plugins harder.

cheers
Can you explain why turning off hyper-threading would improve performance? I run a lot of 96k audio and Gold2 is nearly unusuable once I've got a pre-amp switched in. I experience the same CPU spikes and muting behavior with every parameter change. This never happened with Gold1.

davidgary73
Expert
Expert

Post by davidgary73 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:00 am

From Kyle Conklin on AMD:

As for Threadripper, its f***ing amazing for audio. Affordable, and lots of fast cores. Yes it does utilized multiple dies, but with infinity fabric (AMD exclusive technology for faster core/die interaction) its not an issue, and even exceeds the performance of multiple Xeon machines since the cores are faster, tightly integrated, and you can OC and use whatever RAM you want, and the faster the better.

I love my 1950x 16 core threadripper build, it smashed well over 50 Acqua and Nebula instances in a mix at 96 khz.

Since we are so close the quantum limit as is, multiple die based high core count processors are the future, and the victor of the race for the most powerful chip will dominate for at least a decade. So far AMD is coming in hard from behind and Intel is quaking in their * since a Ryzen consumer chip has Simultaneous Multithreading (hyperthreading), ECC server RAM support, power efficiency, and is super affordable along with gamer/consumer perks like OCing.

Its making a majority of Xeon use cases look ridiculous since a consumer chip anyone can buy is beating them, and even top end data servers and farms are moving to Ryzen, threadripper, and EPYC since its fast, affordable, and future thinking.

More CPU speed or Core?
Not actually true. Yes core speeds will help, but remember a DAW is a mixed use workload, therefore lots of fast cores is essential. Imagine running an 8 core Ryzen chip at those same speeds (even factoring in the IPC deficit of Ryzen, which is not much with real life applications and uses)and virtually doubling your Acqua and Nebula count. Because you can.

You need both core and core speed. I suggest threadripper's 2000 series. My 32 core 2990WX and 16 core 2950X builds can handle more acustica than I would ever need in a mix, and have headroom for streaming and other multitasking.

Hyperthreading?
Hyperthreading is literally just a process where the CPU is able to preload another process or the next process on the core so when the initial one finishes there is no wait time for the next instruction set. It literally massively helps for real time processes and the only issues people usually have with it is from when they are pushing their processor hard as is or are usually poorly coded software.

Regarding PC vs Apple
(if you really want to believe apple is magic) everything I am saying here along with my lifetime of experience using PCs and Macs, building PCs, Masters in Electrical engineering, and the easily acquired empirical data you can find with a quick google and hitting up youtube, but I would bet large sums of money we are going to see more (and potentially worse) of the same poor thermal performance and lack of true performance increase especially in audio workloads where you need a balance of high IPCs (single core performance) and also high amounts of multicore multithreaded performance, especially when using large amounts of Acustica Acquas and Nebula instances.

AMD or i9?

Definitely would be careful of spending a lot of money on an i9 seeing as the thermal performance, and price to performance are both abysmal along with most x299 motherboards having lackluster VRMs since Intel is using a very loose interpretation of TDP these days.
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram • Logic Pro X 10.4.1 • OSX 10.12.6 • VEP 6 • Console 1 •

Please join us - Facebook Acustica Audio Official Group page @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/2161186247437661/