Reaper

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Reaper

Post by zabukowski » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:11 pm

I am a pretty long time Reaper owner. Never used it for mixing etc., it's always been mostly a testing environment because of its speed etc. For music work, i was using Cubase, Nuendo & Reason for "decades" :) Still, i was regularly following Reaper forums, updating it etc.

In the past few months, Reaper started to seriously impress me with its Rewire efficiency (especially comparing to Cubendo), despite the fact that Rewire is limited to a single CPU core. I am a big fan of Reason, so this is very important to me. On the other hand, i’ve slowly started to getting nervous because of Cubendo growing »bloatware« syndrom, its worse and worse performance, lack of many important functions etc.. Then i said to myself – what a heck, let’s try to mix one song in Reaper for a test – using the current knowledge of the program.

Mix went smoothy, sounded nice, stock plugins are excellent IMO, awesome, snappy performance, no crashes … Of course, there were some blackouts because of my lack of mixing experience with Reaper, but nothing critical. And then happy, helpful community, constant updates, bugfixes ...

So, i’ve decided to look at the videos on the Reaper webpage. Wow, what a blast. I’ve started really to understand, what Reaper is all about. I was already fond of Justin Frankel’s work, but this … Still looking at the videos every day, smiling all the time, already finished made few mixes and arrangements, getting better and better, discovering awesome stuff every day.

To me comparing Reaper and Cubendo is like comparing Fischer-tehnic and Fischer-Price =8)

Not sure if this is a goodbye to Steinberg, but at the moment i don’t have any wish or reason to open Steinberg programs again.

Caliente
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: Reaper

Post by Caliente » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:35 pm

I'm seriously considering a move from Cubendo world over to Reaper. There are just some niggles as far as work flow. . . Some options still feel really clunky and unintuitive. But the stability, speed, power and sheer scope for customisation is really making me pay attention here.

botus99
Expert
Expert

Post by botus99 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Former Cubendo user here. I used Steinberg DAWs from 2005-2015. I'm still busy making Reaper EXACTLY how I want it, but I have a feeling you'll find more and more things to fall in love with. At least that's how it worked for me. That's all haha.
Win10 / Reaper / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM | ZED-R16 / Digi003 (Revive modded)
N4 - Orange, Blue, Purple, Pearl, Diamond, Ebony, Gold, Navy, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral, Cobalt, Lemon

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Yes, there are definitively things "to fall in love with" - a lot of them. Much more than things to hate :)

drezz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by drezz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:29 am

Reaper is great. Best DAW out there. Keep looking at other DAWs now and again but really, it delivers the goods and allows one to do things pretty simply and always seems to have a way of achieving even, quite complex and off the beaten track stuff with relative ease. Striaght forward no nonsense, highly configurable if one wants to delve.............works like a dream with nebula and aqua, what else do you need? ok, ok, loads of stuff, always ! haha, but seriously, it's doing me well for years now and i came from a mac and logic since the early c-lab creator days. as soon as apple ilife logic came in, reaper took over and i havent looked back since.
Official Acustica Audio Dealer for UK/Ireland.

https://www.facebook.com/AcusticaUKDealer

zeyoung
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by zeyoung » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:29 pm

For me reaper is the best DAW for mixing! the cpu consumption is stunning.
When working with nebula and acquas, i can have a lot more instances than other DAW with Reaper.
But for composing i use Ableton Live or Logic , they have simple workflow and useful built-in sampler and instrument.

Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Thierr7 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:36 pm

I used to work like many of you with Cubendo and even started with "Pro 24" on Atary !

I bought a Reaper licence years ago but didn't take the time to learn how to use it , it seemed very hard in the first place , i sticked to S1 and was very happy with it except for the Neb/Acqua cpu hog ...

After reading so many good things abt Reaper i decided to seriously get into it and after a few weeks of struggling with it , i fell in love :D

- It's so amazing to be able to build your very own Reaper with what you want , where you want ! not to mention the way it manages resources with Neb/Acqua plugins . I'm sure it has to do with the fact that there is no protection but not only that , Reaper is very well coded imo ...

I personnaly use "Cubic" skins which are perfect for my workflow and very sweet on the eyes .

Constant updates and so on !

I wouldn't go back to any other sequencer and have so many things to learn yet !

PS : The only drawbacks of Reaper are to me it's power ! ;)

fisto
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by fisto » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:18 pm

as you mentioned Reaper, a great guy on the Reaper Forum "Ib0" has built an amazing script where you can build your very own Channel Strips which come up when a track is selected.

Yesterday I've built an multi-instance N4 version of the great Classic Logic EQ by Alex B.

So make sure to check out the "LBX Stripper" for reaper if you're already checking out Reaper.
It's much more versatile that Nyrv Agent and more "reactive" I'd say. Also has a lot more options regarding the look of your strip than agent.

Just wanted to mention it for the Nebula heads :)

PS: and yep, nothing really comes close to reaper. We are just around the corner of getting Automation Items too :D

Mordus

Post by Mordus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:03 pm

fisto wrote: So make sure to check out the "LBX Stripper" for reaper if you're already checking out Reaper.
It's much more versatile that Nyrv Agent and more "reactive" I'd say. Also has a lot more options regarding the look of your strip than agent.

Just wanted to mention it for the Nebula heads :)
WOW! Thanks, I didn't know this thing...

Where can I get all the customized knobs that shows in the video? The default stuff only includes one kind of knob... if i'm not wrong.
Keep it simple, be happy.

Logic Pro X / Reaper / RME / Italian Handcrafted Loudspeakers

fisto
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by fisto » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:06 pm

you have to dig through the the thread, at around page 40-55 there is a big knob megapack by user "timbralzoom". he has posted a big library of knobs and graphics for the script.
Also, it is useful to read the thread so that you are familiar with the script :)

There are also cool usage tips there.

Mordus

Post by Mordus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:31 pm

fisto wrote:you have to dig through the the thread, at around page 40-55 there is a big knob megapack by user "timbralzoom". he has posted a big library of knobs and graphics for the script.
Also, it is useful to read the thread so that you are familiar with the script :)

Thanks, i'll try to find the knob pack through the post...

I now understand the conceptual relationship between AA and Reaper... digging through infinite posts to find something... :mrgreen:

lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by lbhms » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Mordus wrote:
fisto wrote:you have to dig through the the thread, at around page 40-55 there is a big knob megapack by user "timbralzoom". he has posted a big library of knobs and graphics for the script.

Thanks, i'll try to find the knob pack through the post...

I now understand the conceptual relationship between AA and Reaper... digging through infinite posts to find something... :mrgreen:
Thanks fisto for giving the heads-up to Stripper on this forum.

I have added a link to the controls post in the OP in the Stripper thread. Hopefully I found the latest one. :)

fisto
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by fisto » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:54 pm

lbhms wrote:
fisto wrote: Thanks fisto for giving the heads-up to Stripper on this forum.
of course, your( Ib0? is this you?) script has to be used mate, it's too damn good :) really.
I'm dasombre on the reaper forum if you're wondering :)

Mordus

Post by Mordus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:00 pm

Sure it's good! It's absolutely amazing! Thanks a lot for your work lbhms!

lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by lbhms » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:04 pm

fisto wrote:
lbhms wrote:
fisto wrote: Thanks fisto for giving the heads-up to Stripper on this forum.
of course, your( Ib0? is this you?) script has to be used mate, it's too damn good :) really.
I'm dasombre on the reaper forum if you're wondering :)
Aha - makes sense :D Yes lb0 here. I had no idea you were/are dasombre on here...

EQ Control in Stripper is done (bar bugs and eventual improvements). Now working on the macro controls.

Anyway - to get back on topic :D - Reaper is far and away the best DAW I've used for my needs - mainly recording, and (bad) mixing/mastering (although Nebula has definitely made it less bad), and of course script design. Nothing else comes close, and I've been through Cubase/Logic/Sonar/Fruityloops (original version)/Ableton Live. I once had to use ProTools - and hated every second of it :D