Ochre (free homebrew eq)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
cjperez
User Level X
User Level X

Re: What is Ochre

Post by cjperez » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:05 pm

My Man Giancarlo and AA.... You guys are awesome.... Keep up the good work fellas/gals... Can't wait to try this one out. :D
Intel Core i7 5820k 3.3ghz. 32gigs Ram, Samsung SSD, MSI X99A motherboard, Cubase 8, H******* Mixbus 3.3 & 2.5, Antelope Audio Zen Studio & Yamaha N8 Mixers. Win. 7 64 bit.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Ochre (free homebrew eq)

Post by giancarlo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:46 pm

We were not satisfied cause the poor gui (and it was too much "tla", which is not even what we are emulating), so we decided to invest our time in order to provide a better product.
I think there is not anything like this in the software world.

Keep in mind that, despite the gui, the product is a refurbished version of an eq coming from 80s. It is in our opionion WAY better just as hardware clone.
ochre.jpg

tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by tumburu » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Nice work on the GUI, but those horizontal faders are a bit disconcerting. It'll probably take some time to become used to them...

Might make me use this thing less than I would do normally. I guess we're expecting knobs by default, when it comes to eq...

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:18 pm

it is closer to the original 80s unit which inspired the hardware homebrew first, the software later

kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by kindafishy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:24 am

I think that looks sweet.

I like using the sliders in Orange a lot, so this is pretty welcome as far as I am concerned.

Opinions will vary of course, but I like it, personally.

daibass
User Level I
User Level I

Post by daibass » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:27 am

GUI looks great,looking forward to this one.

Brian
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Brian » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:16 pm

Newer revised GUI looks great. Are the gain, frequency, and Q values interpolated for Ochre? Or will some/all parameters be stepped samplings?
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
[email protected]

Mixing/Mastering Engineer at Sentient Sound Labs 覺知音樂工作室

Win10 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:46 pm

btw. who has stolen the idea? Is this a hidden message to another software developer?

the plugin looks very cool. like an old radio.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Brian wrote:Newer revised GUI looks great. Are the gain, frequency, and Q values interpolated for Ochre? Or will some/all parameters be stepped samplings?
Yes, all of them.

:D
Win 10/64 - Intel i7-5820K - Intel i7-4510U - Reaper 6

Brian
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Brian » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Fantastic, this should be one of the best free offerings in plugin land then.

Despite all the negativity, complaints, and entitlement I see on many forums, I'm still feeling grateful and excited to be working in an era when such incredible tools are available to nearly anyone (you only need a DAW, basic monitoring and internet access, which may still be out of reach for some people).

There's really never been a better time for musicians or engineers working on tight budgets.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
[email protected]

Mixing/Mastering Engineer at Sentient Sound Labs 覺知音樂工作室

Win10 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:51 pm

well to be honest things are not so bad. They are just 3-4 users complaining, one of them is crying loud like he was 20 angry customers. He is not even an acqua customer.
Situation was way worse several years ago
And now they are even complaining little things: manifesto or lacking of demos or ideological issues. Bullshit: the products are almost never criticized any more, the worse complain is: compression is could be better. Details

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:05 pm

But what is your personnal thought about compression behaviour in Acqua world ? I'm really curious to know.
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

dacaveprods

Post by dacaveprods » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:26 am

giancarlo wrote:well to be honest things are not so bad. They are just 3-4 users complaining, one of them is crying loud like he was 20 angry customers. He is not even an acqua customer.
Situation was way worse several years ago
And now they are even complaining little things: manifesto or lacking of demos or ideological issues. Bullshit: the products are almost never criticized any more, the worse complain is: compression is could be better. Details
EXACTLY!!!("Bullshit") SALUTE G n AA!!!

owen_musician
User Level I
User Level I

Post by owen_musician » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:55 pm

Bullshit? Really?
Aquamarine is too expensive, isn't useable for tracking, doesn't compress properly, has audio spikes when switching parameters and doesn't sound like any of the Fairchilds I've used. Your only response to any if these issues has been to say, essentially, the only problem is the customers not realising how amazing you are.
The fact that you think it's OK to release a compressor that can't compress for 10x the price of MJUC (which can and sounds awesome) says a lot about the arrogance and confirmation bias which has come to characterise this company.

And lampooning your customers on the company's forums? Saying their complaints are 'bullshit' and 'crying'? Wtf is that all about? Very unprofessional way to conduct yourself as a CEO.
I've spent hundreds of dollars on AA products and, right now, I regret every cent.

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:19 pm

well... try and get titanium :) that is a good deal... i did not bought aquamarine and ultramarine because of the things you listed... The 1HE TT is very useful. Write them and perhaps you can give ultramarine back and change it to TT and Ivory...

I tested also ultramarine and i think also that mjuc for around 30 € is the better deal (but Mjuc sounds not good also). But when it comes to fairchilds & Co: I really guess that the hardware (tubes and all that stuff) can't be reproduced. So whatever comes out in the plugin world... it is never the real thing. Compression behaviour perhaps but not depth, tubes, warmth etc.

I would buy a 1176 as a plugin because that is a fet and it is more a clean thing... and that is a comp i would buy in software world. But there also i have to say that my real hardware shines more: It gives sources more Punch and Loudness - even the audio gets grabbier and just nicer after. (And after i can put some nebula or aque if needed on top of that...)

PLugins are only plugins and there are no wondermachines... sometimes there are plugins which are so hyped :) Try slate... i did... and well... nebula sounds much better and of course aquas (also compression!).

But when it comes to plugins only... I think aqua / nebula and UAD delivers today the best qualities in software world. I tried many stuff out and made comparissons :) That is why i am here... and i bought some eqs here and Titanium. I can say that i like very much honey, TT, Ivory. These three are made very good. Silk sometimes also delivers good results after it got an update. I hope that they will improve it with a better gui someday... (same for blue eq, eqp1)
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey