Ochre (free homebrew eq)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Ochre (free homebrew eq)

Post by giancarlo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Acustica is going to release the first "homebrew" eq, and the first one will be a free product.

What is an homebrew eq? well, several pictures will tell you more than thousands of words:
Ochre 4.JPG
Ochre 5.JPG
Ochre 6.JPG
Ochre 7.JPG
an user from this forum stedal, aka Stefano Dall'Ora, the man who sampled both pEArL and Honey eq aka an acustica internal developer created it and sampled it! This is the meaning of homebrew. This is NOT a clone! this is a revolution! we create incredible hardware devices using custom design and we sample it in the best way possible (not just from input/outputs) and we clone it in thousands of software units!
I think this is the first time a software company does it (well, most of other companies cannot sample a device lol :D ).

Homebrew process:
- project
- hardware creation
- hardware test
- sampling
- acqua and nebula software reincarnation
- software vs hardware comparison and nebula engine praise
-> AWESOME NEW KIND OF GEAR.

Details about Ochre (stedal will be way more accurate):
- it is derived from a S*E 2008, one of first parametric eq coming from 1978
- sont.ec derived (maybe there was some sort of patent infringement)
- stefano added a better output stage, based on discrete components and output transformer
- oh yes, it will be free

grabie
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: What is Ochre

Post by grabie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:12 pm

respect

ianc
User Level X
User Level X

Post by ianc » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:28 pm

Awesome freebie, will there be width adjustment as well
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet

djayart
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by djayart » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:36 pm

Thank you
release date please? :D

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:45 pm

ianc wrote:Awesome freebie, will there be width adjustment as well
Sure!
:)

Q values from 0.5 to 4.
Win 10/64 - Intel i7-5820K - Intel i7-4510U - Reaper 6

dacaveprods

Post by dacaveprods » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:50 pm

NiCE!!!

mtalavera

Post by mtalavera » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:00 pm

Acoustica created a hardware EQ just to sample it and give it away for free? Wow, that is beyond impressive.

[email protected]
User Level II
User Level II

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:41 pm

sounds greaaat, thanks!

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:46 pm

mtalavera wrote:Acoustica created a hardware EQ just to sample it and give it away for free? Wow, that is beyond impressive.
The whole concept is incredibly revolutionary, and this is JUST the beginning.

We have ALREADY things quite ready in the pipeline: Scarlet 400 will be our first "homebrew" commercial acqua we are working on right now. Scarlet will be nothing LESS than impressive. Make your "obvious" guess. But apart this little "anticipation", let's speak here about ochre only.

jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Post by jfjer379 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:33 pm

wow so you are making own original hardware now , that's really really exiting , i dig modelling of classic gears also of course but this will actually move itb processing forward then just visiting the past, with new/old/modded/hybrid gear we actually newer heard before :D ive been waiting for someone to take the next step and it looks like Acustica is the one to do it :) nice , this is really something Acustica :)

no itb algo eq stand a chance beside my Acustica champions Honey, Ivory and Pearl in pure sound already :D

Very exited for Ocre and more to come
I7 5820k • RME • Audient • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • El Rey • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory • Lemon • Lime • Magenta • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Ruby • Sand • Tapue • Titanium • Virgo • White2 • N3s • N4

Brian
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Brian » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:33 am

This is a really great concept, and much appreciation for offering this one for free.

SteDal, thanks for your effort!
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
[email protected]

Mixing/Mastering Engineer at Sentient Sound Labs 覺知音樂工作室

Win10 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:59 pm

Love it. Your imagination is your only limit. Thanks for pushing the boundaries.
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Post by Hannes_F » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:30 pm

Very impressive!

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Respect to SteDal for not only this release ... but to also include his contributions in the beta-testing group !

8-) 8-) 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:11 am

At this point I'd like to give some additional info about Ochre and the hardware behind it.

In the early 80s I was still a music student with a strong passion for audio electronics. The acoustical response of the music room in my house wasn't that great, so (rather naively) I thought about building a parametric eq to correct it.
Of course we had no Internet back then (yet, believe it or not, life could be great even without Google... 8-) ), and it wasn't easy for a non-professional like me to find schematics, let alone those of high quality commercial devices.

For testing purposes I built samples of two different eq designs I found floating around somewhere (I seem to remember that one of them had been published by the glorious Elektor Electronics magazine).
Then, one day a friend of mine handed me a copy of a different, somewhat simpler and more elegant schematic. I was intrigued, so I tested it and had a clear impression of a better, more transparent sound; I decided to design and build a stereo eq with 3 + 3 of such bands. So far, so good.

Fast forward to 2005. One day I happened to have a look at the schematic of model 2800, a parametric eq designed by S*A*E in the late 70's... It rang a bell. A quick search in my DIY archive revealed that the eq I built more than 20 years before (and still working, mind you!) was closely inspired by that device from the 70's, which, in turn, showed more than a resemblance with the almost mythical S**t*c 432. Well, there was a good reason back then for me to like the way it sounded, after all!

Of course, the 432 is a whole different beast; it's built like a tank, the quality of the hardware is stellar, etc., but the comparatively lowly 2800 had the same bridged-T topology at its heart, albeit with a different bootstrapping circuit and a serial configuration (the three parametric bands in the 432 are connected in parallel, instead).

In a nutshell, this is the story of this eq.
The way I see it, Ochre is a kind of a pilot episode by Acustica Audio (a free one, at that!) paving the way for things to come. Giancarlo had this vision of software replicating unique pieces of hardware; possibly, in some cases, one could even build something expressly for that scope. I'm glad to open the dances, then.

Actually, as soon as G told me he was interested in sampling this eq, I thought I'd better recap it, swap the old bread-and-butter op-amps for last generation ones and provide it with a discrete output buffer complete with Sowter transformer - as it's always the case with Acqua plugins, the user can switch the "colour" preamp stage on or off at will. Now my eq is at its best ever.

And so here it is, Ochre... an everyday workhorse eq with 3 parametric bands and all the analog flavour that only Acqua technology is capable of. And what is more, it's free!
:D

Enjoy it.
Last edited by SteDal on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Win 10/64 - Intel i7-5820K - Intel i7-4510U - Reaper 6