Ochre (free homebrew eq)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
arjanloogman
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Ochre (free homebrew eq)

Post by arjanloogman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:32 pm

giancarlo wrote:Yes but it is a free product so priority is very low
Giancarlo, do you have any idea when any kind of priority will be given to Ochre's alternate skin(Q1-Q4 2016)??

I love the sound of Ochre, but the horizontal sliders don't make me use it that much. Which is a shame, actually, because it's such a nice EQ!!!

Greetings, Arjan

thiaoouba999
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: What is Ochre

Post by thiaoouba999 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:35 pm

SteDal wrote:At this point I'd like to give some additional info about Ochre and the hardware behind it.

In the early 80s I was still a music student with a strong passion for audio electronics. The acoustical response of the music room in my house wasn't that great, so (rather naively) I thought about building a parametric eq to correct it.
Of course we had no Internet back then (yet, believe it or not, life could be great even without Google... 8-) ), and it wasn't easy for a non-professional like me to find schematics, let alone those of high quality commercial devices.

For testing purposes I built samples of two different eq designs I found floating around somewhere (I seem to remember that one of them had been published by the glorious Elektor Electronics magazine).
Then, one day a friend of mine handed me a copy of a different, somewhat simpler and more elegant schematic. I was intrigued, so I tested it and had a clear impression of a better, more transparent sound; I decided to design and build a stereo eq with 3 + 3 of such bands. So far, so good.

Fast forward to 2005. One day I happened to have a look at the schematic of model 2800, a parametric eq designed by S*A*E in the late 70's... It rang a bell. A quick search in my DIY archive revealed that the eq I built more than 20 years before (and still working, mind you!) was closely inspired by that device from the 70's, which, in turn, showed more than a resemblance with the almost mythical S**t*c 432. Well, there was a good reason back then for me to like the way it sounded, after all!

Of course, the 432 is a whole different beast; it's built like a tank, the quality of the hardware is stellar, etc., but the comparatively lowly 2800 had the same bridged-T topology at its heart, albeit with a different bootstrapping circuit and a serial configuration (the three parametric bands in the 432 are connected in parallel, instead).

In a nutshell, this is the story of this eq.
The way I see it, Ochre is a kind of a pilot episode by Acustica Audio (a free one, at that!) paving the way for things to come. Giancarlo had this vision of software replicating unique pieces of hardware; possibly, in some cases, one could even build something expressly for that scope. I'm glad to open the dances, then.

Actually, as soon as G told me he was interested in sampling this eq, I thought I'd better recap it, swap the old bread-and-butter op-amps for last generation ones and provide it with a discrete output buffer complete with Sowter transformer - as it's always the case with Acqua plugins, the user can switch the "colour" preamp stage on or off at will. Now my eq is at its best ever.

And so here it is, Ochre... an everyday workhorse eq with 3 parametric bands and all the analog flavour that only Acqua technology is capable of. And what is more, it's free!
:D

Enjoy it.
So is it a S.A.E 2800 or not?

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:11 pm

thiaoouba999 wrote:
So is it a S.A.E 2800 or not?
You won a cigar!

;)
Win 10/64 - Intel i7-5820K - Intel i7-4510U - Reaper 5.95

DavideBurattin
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DavideBurattin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Amazing story Ste :)
Now I'm going straight to test again Ochre!

mathias
Expert
Expert

Post by mathias » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:58 pm

yes, great story :)

thanks for sharing that with us!
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB