Speculations on Scarlet3 GUI, which will not change

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Speculations on Scarlet3 GUI, which will not change

Post by giancarlo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:29 am

Gui in scarlet3 is innovative
Those colors help the workflow quite a lot. It is way better on everything, for example more you can dial numbers easily, you can read them.
It feels like an hardware too

jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Re: Acqua Effect plug-ins next releases (2016)

Post by jfjer379 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:54 am

yep agree the gui in Scarlet 3 looks much better and it also seems like its much easier reading values from the pics
it looks like a high class Acustica gui now IMO
I7 5820k • RME • Audient • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • El Rey • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory3 • Lemon • Lime • Magenta4 • Navy • Pearl • Pink2 • Pink Comp Bundle • Ruby2 • Sand • Tapue • Titanium2 • White2 • N3s • N4

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:14 am

+1 @jfer
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

Brian
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Brian » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:17 pm

Where are you all seeing the Scarlet3 GUI? Didn't notice it in this thread or in Scarlets subforum.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
[email protected]

Mixing/Mastering Engineer at Sentient Sound Labs 覺知音樂工作室

Win10 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Few pages back,here

nverxion

Post by nverxion » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:44 pm

Whoa nobody agrees with me! Well, that's alright. I have my opinion. I still think the gui reads primary colors now over "scarlet". The original gui really said scarlet because it was all black, grays, and red. Now the only red things are the smallest knobs... The lettering is easier to read, but is a little too bright. I could read it all just fine before.

At least put the HME-400 label back? That was cooler, admit it. :D
Azure / Amethyst / AQ3 / Cobalt / Coral / Crimson / Diamond / Emerald / Green / Ivory / Magenta / Navy / Neo / Ochre / Orange / Pearl / Pink / Red / Sand / Scarlet / Tan / Nebula 3 Server

spunkmuffin
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by spunkmuffin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:17 am

nverxion wrote:Whoa nobody agrees with me!
I agree with you nverxion.
nverxion wrote:At least put the HME-400 label back? That was cooler, admit it. :D
Please don't use "HOMEBREW" on Scarlet. It's not a beer your grandad made up in his back shed. Homebrew sounds stoopid.

spunkmuffin
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by spunkmuffin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:20 am

giancarlo wrote:Gui in scarlet3 is innovative
Those colors help the workflow quite a lot.
No. No they do not.
They make you feel like you're in Play School. Lookup "Play School" on Youtube Giancarlo. See the colours?

nverxion

Post by nverxion » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:55 am

With all due respect - and I say this as constructive criticism and not bashing you in any way. Just offering some insight into why I think the way I do:

All I'm trying to point out is that certain things are good to change. Changes that plus or mature a design in some way are always welcome. Murano's new GUI is a great example. It's beautiful.

However, visual changes that are made merely to be flashy or colorful only work well when there is a reason for them. In Scarlet's case, I think everything you changed is nice except for the colors and the brightness of the whites. Visually, anything that appears to be blown out, washed out, or otherwise devoid of detail (in such cases as pure white text or metallic highlights) has a tendency to appear amateurish. It is just the way our brains work subconsciously. An under-exposed photograph (in which detail is lost in blackness) will always look more professional than an over-exposed one (where detail is lost in white), unless the intent is to achieve a high key look. That's good for portraiture and product imagery, even stylized image design, but not for these GUIs.

The color changes may make sense to you who made the decision to implement them, but for me and I'm sure a lot of other people it makes no sense. Take a moment to go beyond the initial "wow" factor of a new design and try to understand why the design works (or doesn't). I don't see how using primary colors on a device named Scarlet helps. It just makes the overall impact of the device seem childish and pulls its visual feel away from the name "Scarlet". Colors for color's sake just look fun, but they don't tie into the elegance of the unit. The unit's design is simple. Gain on top, Bandwidth in the middle, Frequency on the bottom. Why do we need the colors of the rainbow to tell us that? If color must be added, make them all red.

Finally, I think if you toned down those highlights on the knobs and also put the slightest amount of detail back into the text, it wouldn't look like an overlay I could have done in Microsoft Paint. Refine the designs and mature them with meaningful decisions. It will produce more of a distinguished sense of age.
Azure / Amethyst / AQ3 / Cobalt / Coral / Crimson / Diamond / Emerald / Green / Ivory / Magenta / Navy / Neo / Ochre / Orange / Pearl / Pink / Red / Sand / Scarlet / Tan / Nebula 3 Server

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:03 am

I missed the page with the new Scarlet GUI....I just looked and am honestly confused about what people are not liking about it. It looks crisp, sharp, and easy to look at. What's the problem with it? I don't see anything about it that screams "amateur" or "flash".
Just my opinion, of course.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:21 am

GUI design is very challenging to be sure.

I know I've voiced my opinion as making a realistic/photographic 3D image vs a GUI interface that we work with.

Example ... a light glare off a meter glass or knob 'might' look enticing in a photographic way ... but with a GUI interface, it can [and usually is] a distraction. We have example of this when a knob 'glare' actually overloads a knob marker setting.

2nd. Visual Monitor Calibration. Is there a 'standard' ?

I just bought a new DELL LED monitor. The thing is sooo bright out of the box, it'll take your eyebrows off. Yes, I tend to work in a dimly lit Control Room, so my visual monitors are toned down to allow me to work hours on end. This is my job.

As to design esthetics ... well ... lots of different taste. I tend to avoid the 'glammy' look ... some of the designs I've seen are some kinda 'New Wave' statement that look more like Art work. I don't want that in the tools that I work with. I'm trying to create/enhance the Art of Audio. I need clear, concise, intuitive, layout and designs that enhance workflow.

The only thing 3-D that I want to see ... is the music emanating from the audio monitors.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

spunkmuffin
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by spunkmuffin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:44 pm

I like what RJHollins said.

Scarlet3 GUI:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/vi ... &start=250

Scarlet2 GUI:
http://i.imgur.com/qF4EHK0.jpg

how it should look...notice the indicator lights are understated [good] and not enourmous blingfests:
http://capsulelabs.com/images/sontec.jpg

knob reflections done well:
http://www.gigasonic.com/images/iktrcseq432.jpg

Ivory IAE-2 GUI is lovely:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/3h6uEvnXDVg/maxresdefault.jpg

Please at least give us the option to use Scarlet2 GUI in Scarlet3.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks for the link.

Down the road, I do hope that alternative GUI screens could be a reality, and something the User can choose from.

This could even be a new, 3rd party developer gig.

I would pay for the look I prefer.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:32 pm

the real hardware of scarlet looks like crap :D Plugin (new gui) is a dream!

Instead of Homebrew i would call it SONbrew or HomeTEC.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

nverxion

Post by nverxion » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:48 pm

richie43 wrote:I missed the page with the new Scarlet GUI....I just looked and am honestly confused about what people are not liking about it. It looks crisp, sharp, and easy to look at. What's the problem with it? I don't see anything about it that screams "amateur" or "flash".
Just my opinion, of course.
There isn't really a "problem" per se, just a change in the color scheme that has no practical application other than to give more visual separation to the three rows of knobs. The rows have clear and distinct functionality on their own. There is no need for blue and yellow colors to tell me that the rows do different things. It's just a choice made to add visual interest. The "problem" I have with it is that blue and yellow have nothing to do with "scarlet". That and the whites are too flat (in other words, lacking detail). The rest of the design is loaded with detail and yes it does look good.

When I mentioned the word "amateurish", I wasn't referring to anything specifically, but rather the phenomenon that exists between two images of differing extremes in exposure. Look at any image where the detail is lost in highlights and then compare it to any other image of similar subject matter where the detail is lost in shadows. Which one looks more professional? 80% of the time it will be the darker image where all of the detail is retained in the highlights. The other 20% will be where the effect is done on purpose for the aesthetic intent.
Last edited by nverxion on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.