transients

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
masteringlt
User Level III
User Level III

transients

Post by masteringlt » Fri May 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Hello,

i recently noticed that pearl 2 is reducing the transients just enabling it on the master bus. So for example the Snare looses its punch. So I am finding myself avoiding it now because I don't want the transients to be loosing impact.

Is this the normal behavior for such a great mastering EQ?
I love the tone of eq very much tho.

Best Regards
Denis Emery
www.Mastering.LT

mathias
Expert
Expert

Re: transients

Post by mathias » Fri May 26, 2017 4:42 pm

disengage the preamp. does it change?
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB

Caliente
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by Caliente » Sat May 27, 2017 2:30 am

masteringlt wrote:Hello,

i recently noticed that pearl 2 is reducing the transients just enabling it on the master bus. So for example the Snare looses its punch. So I am finding myself avoiding it now because I don't want the transients to be loosing impact.

Is this the normal behavior for such a great mastering EQ?
I love the tone of eq very much tho.

Best Regards
Denis Emery
http://www.Mastering.LT
I've noted this behaviour too and heard other users mention this.
Wondered if it was a bug or the original EQ just isn't so "fast"?

Would love for transients to remain intact while delivering that great Pearl tone.

botus99
Expert
Expert

Post by botus99 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:36 pm

I forget the reasoning behind it, but I do remember an explanation for the transient-softening effect. This may be placebo, but I feel like I was able to increase transient detail by changing a couple values in the PEARL2.xml.

Changing the PROGRATE to 100 (orig = 2000) and DSPBUFFER to 2048 (orig = 1024), to compensate for the added processing power, seemed to make a big enough difference in the transients.

Disclaimer: I'm just a weirdo. Following my ideas may cause unintended consequences. :lol:
Win10 / Reaper / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM | ZED-R16 / Digi003 (Revive modded)
N4 - Orange, Blue, Purple, Pearl, Diamond, Ebony, Gold, Navy, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral, Cobalt, Lemon

theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X

Post by theheliosequence » Sat May 27, 2017 6:35 pm

It's a vintage tube device, so one may argue this is the desred effect (and often slightly is with most analog devices). Pearl has always sounded too colorful to me for mastering. The times I have used it I'm often backing off on the input trim to have a cleaner tone.
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, N3S/N4, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Black Series, Blue, Cobalt, Coral, Diamond, Ebony, Emerald, Gold, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lemon, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp, Purple, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Sat May 27, 2017 7:11 pm

theheliosequence wrote:It's a vintage tube device, so one may argue this is the desred effect (and often slightly is with most analog devices). Pearl has always sounded too colorful to me for mastering. The times I have used it I'm often backing off on the input trim to have a cleaner tone.
Wise words... Only let me set the record straight: the ELA 75-15 (the hardware behind pEArL) is a discrete solid-state device. Quite a vintage one, at that, but definitely a silicon affair.

That said, the real ELA has this "softening" behavior as well, which, in specific cases, is just what the doctor ordered, as well stated above.
Win 10/64 - Intel i7-5820K - Intel i7-4510U - Reaper 5.961

Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Thierr7 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Right ... I found myself removing pEarL from my Master buss this afternoon for these reasons . On the other hand i really enjoy using it on a Drums and Bass buss or many others kind of busses . It could sound very cool also to have a dedicated Pearl buss that feeds a lot of tracks by just adjusting more or less "sends" on almost any track ! it could add a nice color regardless of the Pearl settings ! (something that shouldn't usually work well for an Eq )

I hope i've been clear enough :lol:

masteringlt
User Level III
User Level III

Post by masteringlt » Sun May 28, 2017 5:15 pm

Ohh yes it is good now:) I always thought this button disables the plugin lol

Thank you!!
mathias wrote:disengage the preamp. does it change?