Pearl's GUI

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
nverxion

Pearl's GUI

Post by nverxion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:51 pm

In light of recent comments concerning the legibility of Pearl's font, I think it should be noted that said font could be made clearer and easier to read - either by enlarging, sharpening, or changing the font entirely. I know GUI concerns come second to the performance of each unit, but in terms of being able to read the values on the faceplate without straining, I think it could be cleaned up slightly.
Azure / Amethyst / AQ3 / Cobalt / Coral / Crimson / Diamond / Emerald / Green / Ivory / Magenta / Navy / Neo / Ochre / Orange / Pearl / Pink / Red / Sand / Scarlet / Tan / Nebula 3 Server

grabie
User Level VII
User Level VII

Re: Pearl's GUI

Post by grabie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:39 pm

I can not read the lettering on the skin.
Neither do I know what it means, when I find out what it says.
The sound is fantastic, the workflow is not.
Disapointing for me.
The handling should be improved, from my point of view.

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:53 pm

i can confirm the same issues:
The fonts are very blurry and for the eyes it is not friendly.

Here are some comparisons:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/meafmeuwxjgfh1r/gui.JPG?dl=0
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

ceemusic

Post by ceemusic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:38 pm

The Italian doesn't bother me as much as the cramped/ smallish fonts do.

I thought 3:1 was 5:1 until I pulled out some reading glasses!
i7 5820k· RAM 32GB DDR4· Int. 1TB HD x3· Int. 500 GB SSD x2· Video HD-5450 1GB· Win 10 x64· RME FF400· Cubase· S1P· Reaper · CbB · VEPro 6· MB32c

RainbowSix
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by RainbowSix » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:37 pm

I do find it crazy that Acustica haven't yet moved on to full resolution 'retina' GUIs. Even in the higher resolution images there is still that low resolution bitty-ness in the image. For such great sound, why not a fantastic image for the user interface too?!

realhomerecording
User Level II
User Level II

Post by realhomerecording » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:27 pm

Agreed, gentlemen. The lettering not including the numbers and letters on the buttons are too blurry.

The fonts on the meters are smaller than the blurry ones but they are still legible! Something is definitely odd with Pearl2...

robschroeder
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by robschroeder » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Do you guys mix with your eyes or ears? :mrgreen:

ceemusic

Post by ceemusic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:02 pm

I know you're kidding but have you used Fab Filter or similar plugins? They're optimally designed with today's tech in mind.

Sound is more important than cosmetics but why not make them look great & easy to use as well? My Waves plugins I bought in 2000 are easier to make out.

As I said who wants to be squinting in the middle of busy sessions?
Last edited by ceemusic on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7 5820k· RAM 32GB DDR4· Int. 1TB HD x3· Int. 500 GB SSD x2· Video HD-5450 1GB· Win 10 x64· RME FF400· Cubase· S1P· Reaper · CbB · VEPro 6· MB32c

NoNameComesInMind

Post by NoNameComesInMind » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:49 pm

hi G, is there a possibility for private customization like in the first pearl version - something i missed out really.

and also will the original numbered skin be available too?

btw, never change the gui, whatever you guys do, add sharpness or so, just don't change the overall appearance! the look and sound really go hand in hand with this one. i think it's gorgeous.

best,
EQualizer, Nebula, Coffee.

realhomerecording
User Level II
User Level II

Post by realhomerecording » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:23 pm

robschroeder wrote:Do you guys mix with your eyes or ears? :mrgreen:
That's irrelevant. The GUI lettering should not be blurry. Just like a new car should not have paint chips before it is driven off the lot.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:26 am

Maybe you are using a touch screen, or hardware controller ...

but Yes, some of us have to use our eyes. Not by choice ... but I have this thing called a computer MOUSE. The damn thing requires one to navigate a pointer on the screen, and forces one to click on an appropriate spot.

go figure. :roll:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:49 am

We'll move to retina, I confirm. Anyway I'll be straight, this year we'll try to solve previous issues - authorization, installation, website.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:57 am

realhomerecording wrote:
That's irrelevant. The GUI lettering should not be blurry. Just like a new car should not have paint chips before it is driven off the lot.
There is a limitation of what is possible using a specific font, font size in a specific photorealistic gui. Actual font cannot be better at the actual constraints. The gui is scaled using an offline high quality resize, not opengl ones.
Said that, we are one of few companies adopting advanced techniques for fonts. Most of plugins, I repeat, most of plugins are based on juce, and large part of them have serious issues with fonts, i mean seriously. Just look to nebula 4 fonts in Windows and compare with other tools.
This doesn't apply to acqua since our photorealistic approach. But it is not negotiable. This strategy is as part of our success.

davidgary73
Expert
Expert

Post by davidgary73 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:03 am

Gian, a resizable GUI for all Acqua plugs would be great to help those of us who has aged eye sight. This will help heaps ;)
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram • Logic Pro X 10.4.1 • OSX 10.12.6 • VEP 6 • Console 1 •

Please join us - Facebook Acustica Audio Official Group page @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/2161186247437661/

realhomerecording
User Level II
User Level II

Post by realhomerecording » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:19 am

giancarlo wrote:
realhomerecording wrote:
There is a limitation of what is possible using a specific font, font size in a specific photorealistic gui. Actual font cannot be better at the actual constraints. The gui is scaled using an offline high quality resize, not opengl ones.
Said that, we are one of few companies adopting advanced techniques for fonts. Most of plugins, I repeat, most of plugins are based on juce, and large part of them have serious issues with fonts, i mean seriously. Just look to nebula 4 fonts in Windows and compare with other tools.
This doesn't apply to acqua since our photorealistic approach. But it is not negotiable. This strategy is as part of our success.
I hear you loud and clear. Graphic design isn't always "fun" shall we say and it's a shame the font appears blurry.

At least others out there know that their eyesight isn't failing them! That they aren't alone in what they see.

Big +1 on future retina GUIs!