Pearl 2!

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Pearl 2!

Post by giancarlo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:14 pm

no. This is a skin which is meant to be used for workflow, it's not artistic at all and we don't like it - and people who knows us knows also the reason why we think so.
Personally I'll never use it.
So it will never be in italian, that's it.

Since fonts are rendered using 3d applications and there are materials, there is no way for getting them as much "readable" as just using microsoft world in several situations. Normally we have a complex process, we even overlap original ones with a scaled one coming from Illustrator and we do already many fine tunings. Everything works perfectly until the material is "strange", lights are "strange" and so on. In this case there is diffusion and we cannot prevent it. We are trying to keep the original pearl feeling, and this is a design/constraint issue so we decided to not modify the materials. We adjusted it in a different way on the compressor, and this explains why the compressor was slighly better.

For all your questions, when you "think" you know it "better", there is this interesting wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E ... ger_effect

An no, retina is not the answer, since windows users are using the old method. I don't like this asymmetry (but possibly we'll support resizing during 2018; it will not be for "retina", but just because several displays have impossible resolutions, like mac book pro running bootcamp badly). This is not rocket science, simply you use multiple gui elements (an other answer to people who think we need to "upgrade", there is nothing to upgrade).
So we are doing what other developers are doing, we just used pure illustrator and photoshop, that's all! They are doing so, 99% of times. So they are not more advanced. They need to learn how to create something like we are doing today! which is hard, extremely hard. Why we are doing it? well I think we explained many many times, I will not repeat myself.

Said that, it should stop all complains (people who think we cannot render fonts and similar garbage, go figure!)
tomorrow you'll have other skins, that's definitively all.

llesne
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by llesne » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Wow, that wiki link...

Font is something fonctional, it carries a text, it's serving the information. It's not artistic in any way.

I've studied graphic design at Pennighen for 5 years. IMHO The font on Pearl is not 100% suitable for the job. The english one is ok. Most of you interfaces are great (masterpieces), but there is always room for improvement !

Anyway it's not really interesting. We are here for the sound.
iMac late 2013, 3.1 GHz Intel Core I7, 16 Go RAM, OSX 10.9.5 - Reaper 5.76 - Lynx Aurora (n) Thunderbolt

Nebula 3 Server, Navy, Ochre, White2, Tan, Gold, Charly Limited, Ruby, Amethyst, Lemon, Ebony, Pink 2 & more coming I guess...

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:49 pm

llesne wrote: Anyway it's not really interesting. We are here for the sound.
Yeah, I'm amazed too how people can focus that much on those things. I was lost too at the beggining, but just opened the manual, and voilà. I wonder if people would not use the original hardware Eq and Comp if they could, just because controls are in Italian.
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:02 pm

llesne wrote:Wow, that wiki link...

Font is something fonctional, it carries a text, it's serving the information. It's not artistic in any way.

I've studied graphic design at Pennighen for 5 years. IMHO The font on Pearl is not 100% suitable for the job. The english one is ok. Most of you interfaces are great (masterpieces), but there is always room for improvement !

No our product are meant to be art.
For us several aspects are secondary, or they could be solved in other ways like I showed.
We push the boundaries of what is possible or not, not a book
For me the first priority is the general feeling the product is communicating.
This is the reason why we do the hard way

lubomba

Post by lubomba » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:05 pm

giancarlo wrote:no. This is a skin which is meant to be used for workflow, it's not artistic at all and we don't like it - and people who knows us knows also the reason why we think so.
Personally I'll never use it.
So it will never be in italian, that's it.
ok I understand your motivations behind all this, but the numbers on the eq for example are really blurry and it wasn't that bad with the original pearl. I don't care TOO much about that, but yeah, after all the graphics work that you guys put into these plugins unfortunately they look bad on my side... imac retina here...

it's a bit sad because you publish those superb looking 3d renders and then in real use the gui is not so nice. It's logical that some users end up disappointed when such high expectations are created

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:15 pm

We push the boundaries of what is possible.
Our products represent exactly our efforts in this area too.
I don't pretend our users understand it today.
Anyway we always care about requests, but it is a matter of asking things politely and we try to find workarounds, even if they don't fit our message perfectly. But you don't have to convince me on what is technically good or not. The best technical solution in this area is not what I like, there is NOTHING more to say on the matter.

llesne
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by llesne » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:17 pm

giancarlo wrote:
llesne wrote:Wow, that wiki link...

No our product are meant to be art.
For us several aspects are secondary, or they could be solved in other ways like I showed.
We push the boundaries of what is possible or not, not a book
For me the first priority is the general feeling the product is communicating.
This is the reason why we do the hard way
There are rules that apply for everything, not only "books". Don't stretch a letter for a start. Don't diminish the spacing 2 much. NEVER. It takes years to design an alphabet with specific curves that work on an optical level. Don't f*** with the font, that's all I'm saying.
iMac late 2013, 3.1 GHz Intel Core I7, 16 Go RAM, OSX 10.9.5 - Reaper 5.76 - Lynx Aurora (n) Thunderbolt

Nebula 3 Server, Navy, Ochre, White2, Tan, Gold, Charly Limited, Ruby, Amethyst, Lemon, Ebony, Pink 2 & more coming I guess...

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:24 pm

This is not what we do.
This is rendered by a 3d render engine, so you cannot control things perfectly . We already merge them with illustrator things, we are already aware about font hints and an awful lot of technical techniques, because our job is pushing boundaries. Reasons why we do it were explained many many times and I'll not repeat then once again. Companies are basically copying us lately, not the opposite.
This is the reason why I posted the Wikipedia page, people think we don't know a thing or two.
I'll lock the topic otherwise people will not find the solution any more
Tomorrow we'll post other two skins, that's all

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Francesco.Tedeschi wrote:We have almost done with the highly demanded English version skins. These skins in addition to being in English they are also most readable, they are more FUNCTIONAL than ARTISTIC.
Pearl2Comp skin is already available in your folder, inside "SKIN_ENG".
pearl2_comp.JPG
Pearl2 and Pearl2Strip skins will be released tomorrow.

In order to use them just copy the PEARL2COMP_SKIN.N2S inside the same folder of your PEARL2COMP.N2S file.

Francesco.Tedeschi
Expert
Expert

Post by Francesco.Tedeschi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Pearl2 and Pearl2Strip english skins are now available.
Francesco Tedeschi

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Francesco.Tedeschi
Expert
Expert

Post by Francesco.Tedeschi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 pm

New version of Pearl2Strip rel C and Prime2Comp rel D released.
Francesco Tedeschi

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:38 pm

Upload:
Setup PEARL2 COMP 44.1 96 OSX AAX rel F
Setup PEARL2 COMP 44.1 96 OSX VST AU rel F

This version fix polarity inversion in Pearl2 compressor preamp.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com