pEArL legendary vintage equalizer

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
DeNto
User Level X
User Level X

Re: pEArl legendary vintage equalizer

Post by DeNto » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:01 pm

Very cool!!!

Is it possible to let write a number and a Name on the Equalizer? :)

Best regards
Aquamarine, Murano, EQP1, Green, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Titanium, Trinity Eq, Ochre, Red, Amethyst.F*******e,SPL, Drawmer,N*****n KH 310a

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:19 pm

yes

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:22 pm

address your "booked" requests to francesco, specifying your username:

[email protected]

he will collect and sort all of them

cjperez
User Level X
User Level X

Post by cjperez » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:52 pm

This is a really nice twist in the plugin world... I like what you guys are doing...... :)
Intel Core i7 5820k 3.3ghz. 32gigs Ram, Samsung SSD, MSI X99A motherboard, Cubase 8, H******* Mixbus 3.3 & 2.5, Antelope Audio Zen Studio & Yamaha N8 Mixers. Win. 7 64 bit.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:56 pm

yes... the product is already a legend! :D

ce1909

Post by ce1909 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:45 pm

Purchased

Again be aware using FireFox on the pre-sale page 2 quantities were added to the cart with a single click.

spigon
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by spigon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:04 pm

Bought one earlier this morning. Unfortunately I am not too familiar with these units. Are they mono or stereo? And if mono is there a stereo option provided in the Acqua version of this EQ?

javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Post by javahut » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:16 pm

what are the buttons E L A at the bottom of each band?
downtempo.dub.psychedlic.twang
Canartic - Modulotion

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:54 pm

units are stereo (original gear is mono)
if you need more details, there is a downloadable user manual. It needs some fixes (a better explanation of ELA, exactly).
We'll add them. Meanwhile I'll ad a very good description coming from stedal, we'll add it to the final user manual

The left column is a highpass filter, the right one is a lowpass.
You actually build a bandpass filter by combining these two sections.

The number you see on the panel between the columns gives you only some info about the value of the bandpass filter's center frequency if the two buttons on its side are pressed.
So, if you press on the left the button below that number, and the one above on the right, you'll get a bandpass filter centered on the same frequency, but with a wider bandwidth.

Of course you may as well press any combination of buttons, but keep in mind that:

1 - at least one button in each side is always pressed;
2 - there's not much sense in pressing a button on the left at a higher frequency than the one on the right; the result is not a notch filter, because of the way the thing is physically designed, but some kind of strange curve not very useful, IMHO, but of course YMMV.

All this applies only to the two center sections; the first and last ones are just shelving filters.

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Re: pEArL legendary vintage equalizer

Post by SteDal » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:21 pm

OK, Giancarlo beat me to it, nevertheless by popular demand I summarize here some quick operation info, waiting for the official manual to be completed and published...

BTW, a few posts above you can find some historical info about this beast, as well. It's definitely worth reading.

This eq is unique in the way it is conceived.
It consists of four bands: from the left to the right there's a low shelf, two adjustable bandpass/reject filters (low and high mids) and finally a high shelf.

The three "ELA" buttons in each of the four bands mean:
E - Exaltation (or Boost);
L - Linear, flat curve (hard bypass);
A - Attenuation (or cut).

Pressing "E" or "A" you set a boost/cut for the selected freqency; in both cases, the dB value depends on the position of the knob for each band.

You can select 5 different frequencies for both low and high shelves (bands n.1 & 4). Furthermore they both have a 6/12dB switch which changes the steepness of the curve.
At the 6dB setting the filters are quite smooth and non intrusive (although you can boost/cut up to 21 dBs, which is way more than usual).
Things change radically at 12dB. The filter thus become very resonant and coloring, especially in the higher dB range.
That's another classy aspect of this machine: all the four filters have a kind of proportional Q law, i.e. they're generally well controlled at low dB values, and gradually turn to screaming monsters towards the higher values.

And now on to the two central bands.
As I said above, they are passband filters, built with a highpass (the column of 7 buttons on the left of each section) and a lowpass (the 7 buttons on the right).
In this way you can set the bandwith of the BP filter simply by selecting the low and high corner frequencies of the curve!
If you press two buttons on the same line, the center frequency is the one indicated on the panel between the relevant buttons.
The same general operation principle applies for these central filters, too ("ELA" buttons, dB knob, etc.)

Keep in mind two general rules:
1 - In each column there must be always one button pressed; a no-pressed-button condition is not allowed;
2 - there's not much sense in pressing a button on the left at a higher frequency than the one on the right; the result is not a notch filter, because of the way the hardware is physically designed, but some kind of strange curve - not very useful, IMHO, but of course YMMV.

This eq is capable of both smooth, broad corrections and really heavy frequency sculpting, depending on the various parameter settings. And the preamp section is worth of note, too, warm but very clear, with a slight 1 dB boost between 10 and 20 KHz.

I'm confident that shortly some audio demo will be available on the product page.
Last edited by SteDal on Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Win 10/64 - Intel i7-5820K - Intel i7-4510U - Reaper 6

Francesco.Tedeschi
Expert
Expert

Post by Francesco.Tedeschi » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:21 pm

If you are not sure whether to buy or not this legendary plugin, try the Pearl unit #017.
This unit is not a fully operational Pearl because it has been damaged during shipment (you'll better understand once you have seen the GUI).
In fact the second and the fourth band are broken.

NOTE:
This unit has some problems, so it's not compatible with the standard commercial Pearl and it's only for evaluation purposes. Any DAW project that involves this trial version will be lost after trial expires.

Here you can find the trial:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189
Francesco Tedeschi

javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Post by javahut » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:24 pm

Thanks for the great info on the EQ.

After understanding what the E L A buttons are all about... wouldn't a better logo for it be pEArL? lower case L is many times slightly confusing as to whether it's a lower case l, an upper case I, or the number 1. No confusing L. And that's even one of the buttons.
Canartic - Modulotion

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:28 pm

capital letters are EAL... the mistake was only in the thread title, I fixed it

javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Post by javahut » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:32 pm

giancarlo wrote:capital letters are EAL... the mistake was only in the thread title, I fixed it
Cool!

And BTW... one fewer units left! :D
Canartic - Modulotion

ce1909

Re: pEArL legendary vintage equalizer

Post by ce1909 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Even this broken demo sounded great, better than most algos for mastering. Looking forward to getting the released version.