Versatile in pre-sale

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Versatile in pre-sale

Post by giancarlo » Thu May 21, 2015 4:39 pm

sethius wrote:Hey Giancarlo, Ableton Live 9.1.8 64bit crashed yesterday when I was using Versatile 64bit AU. My system is OSX 10.9.5 and my Mac is a 2013 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pro (Black Trash Can). I have 16GB of RAM.

I'm 99% sure Versatile caused the crash as the document was pretty basic and i've never seen this kind of crash before (and my system is extremely stable and almost never crashes). The audio engine just stopped working and the play button wouldn't work, but the program continued to function to some degree. I then tried to save and then Ableton Live hung and stopped responding.

Also the CPU spikes are ridiculous. I have one of the fastest and most modern machines available and with only 1 instance of Versatile the audio crackled every time I moved a knob and continued for a short period after.

about the spikes: try mixratecycles to zero
It seems like on au the spikes are a lot more than planned:

- cpu load should be a lot less than Core5 architecture
- but during knob tuning it should be a bit more than Core5 for a short period of time.

I explain what happens: when you move a control the prog rate switches to MIXRATE and lasts for MIXRATECYCLES. So in your case you can increase MIXRATE (for example 100000) and decrease cycles. This is a temporary solution, the best one is disabling it at all (you can remove both MIXRATE and MIXRATECYCLES tags or set MIXRATECYCLES to zero).
We implemented MIXRATE in order to improve responsiveness of Core6 and it seems on many systems it works pretty well, but we received 3-4 complains here and all of the are linked to AU, so we'll investigate further.

On logic validation we'll check it further, apparently it is the only plugin which does not validate now

About the crash we don't have a clue, but it is possible that high cpu load while moving parameters could affect overall stability, here my suggestion

Open also a ticket, so we can collect details about various issues and work on them!

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu May 21, 2015 4:43 pm

cj01djs wrote:On OSX 10.9.5 on LOgic X 10.1.0 i canuse only the version of au 32 bits bridged with Sound Radix 32 Lives,the native au 64 don't validated on my system.I had a lot of spikes but after i edited the Mixrate at 12000 and Mixratecycles at 0 it's all good.On Reaper the native au 64 works fine and in Studio One too.

interesting, definitively.
About validation, as I said before, we'll check it

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu May 21, 2015 5:17 pm

good news: validation solved.
Tomorrow we'll upload an upgrade for au with proper validation and fix for mixratecycles (spikes).
On audiounit we'll force mixratecycles to zero, from first tests everything is good even without this parameter.

Andyyager10
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Andyyager10 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:33 pm

I have not had the time to open a ticket, but I am on Windows7 X64, using Reaper. I have changed the mixratecycle to 0, and there is definitely an improvement, but still not perfect. The audio is still breaking up a little whenever I move a control. Anyone out there have the same issues??
I should have some time next week to open a ticket and go that route next week.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat May 23, 2015 9:07 am

we'll work a bit on the control

Francesco.Tedeschi
Expert
Expert

Post by Francesco.Tedeschi » Tue May 26, 2015 8:51 am

Versatile Bundle 1.3.940 Rel L available for Windows users.
Francesco Tedeschi

tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by tumburu » Tue May 26, 2015 11:47 am

What's new in this update for windows users?

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Tue May 26, 2015 12:26 pm

Versatile Band #3 test.
MidBandVersatileSmaart.jpg
MidBandVersatileReaper4.jpg
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com

Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Thierr7 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:28 pm

Congrats ! Last release sounds great and is much lighter on CPU here . :D

fabio.migliorati

Post by fabio.migliorati » Thu May 28, 2015 9:25 am

Versatile Bundle 1.3.940 Rel L available for OSX users.

DETAILS:
- bug fixed
- logic validation solved
- more responsiveness

sethius
User Level II
User Level II

Post by sethius » Fri May 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Guys i've just installed the latest version L and i'm still having problems with it in Ableton Live 9. My specs are:

Computer: MacPro6,1 (2013 Mac Pro)
Processor: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
DAW: Ableton Live 9.1.8 (64bit)
DAW buffer size (64 samples)
Versatile Version L (64bit AU)
Versatile Version L (64bit VST)

It still crackles when I move the frequency knob in Ableton. It happens with the AU and VST (64 bit). I always have my buffer set to 64 samples, but I tried changing it to 512 samples with the AU and VST and it made things much better, almost eliminating the crackling. It was still there with rapid movement of the knob in both AU and VST.

Also I needed to remove and put back the VST version after switching from 64 to 512 samples in order for the frequency knob movement to become smooth. The AU was fine in this respect and became smooth without the need for the plugin to be removed and put back.

Also the AU crashed Ableton when I went from 64 back down to 512 samples. I was able to reproduce this and make it crash again under the same circumstances, thus ruling out a random crash. The VST was unaffected and didn't crash when I tested it.

Also i forgot to mention before, but with version J, when the AU crashed Ableton, it prevented Ableton's crash recovery from functioning properly and I lost most of the settings in most of the instances of Versatile when I recovered the session. This is uncharacteristic for Ableton, I almost always recover 99% of the session, usually 100%. Ableton almost never crashes on my system and I write, produce and mix large sessions in it.

Unfortunately this makes Versatile unusable for me at this time. I hope you fix these crackling and stability issues soon, it seems like a great plugin and Core 6 seems like a great technology!

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat May 30, 2015 12:14 pm

open a ticket.
Quickly: check you have mixratecycles set to zero. Latest release should use it as default value on au. We did not tune vst, so:

- open versatile.xml using an editor
- change mixratecycles to zero

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Sun May 31, 2015 10:00 am

sethius wrote:Guys i've just installed the latest version L and i'm still having problems with it in Ableton Live 9. My specs are:

Computer: MacPro6,1 (2013 Mac Pro)
Processor: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
DAW: Ableton Live 9.1.8 (64bit)
DAW buffer size (64 samples)
Versatile Version L (64bit AU)
Versatile Version L (64bit VST)

It still crackles when I move the frequency knob in Ableton. It happens with the AU and VST (64 bit). I always have my buffer set to 64 samples, but I tried changing it to 512 samples with the AU and VST and it made things much better, almost eliminating the crackling. It was still there with rapid movement of the knob in both AU and VST.

Also I needed to remove and put back the VST version after switching from 64 to 512 samples in order for the frequency knob movement to become smooth. The AU was fine in this respect and became smooth without the need for the plugin to be removed and put back.

Also the AU crashed Ableton when I went from 64 back down to 512 samples. I was able to reproduce this and make it crash again under the same circumstances, thus ruling out a random crash. The VST was unaffected and didn't crash when I tested it.

Also i forgot to mention before, but with version J, when the AU crashed Ableton, it prevented Ableton's crash recovery from functioning properly and I lost most of the settings in most of the instances of Versatile when I recovered the session. This is uncharacteristic for Ableton, I almost always recover 99% of the session, usually 100%. Ableton almost never crashes on my system and I write, produce and mix large sessions in it.

Unfortunately this makes Versatile unusable for me at this time. I hope you fix these crackling and stability issues soon, it seems like a great plugin and Core 6 seems like a great technology!
Read TECH-0000001066.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.

Andyyager10
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Andyyager10 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:27 pm

So when is the next update for versatile? Some of us have paid good money for something that does not work...not even as a paper weight. I have opened a ticket, and it has been closed. Why close a ticket without fixing the problem?

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Andyyager10 wrote:So when is the next update for versatile? Some of us have paid good money for something that does not work...not even as a paper weight. I have opened a ticket, and it has been closed. Why close a ticket without fixing the problem?
Correct. Fixed. TECH-0000001060 is in hold and marked now. We will test a solution tomorrow for Versatile Windows UI issue. If we can not provide a fix, we will refund you.
Why close a ticket without fixing the problem?
Our ticket system request to customers a response in 72 hours, if no response, close it automatically. You and us can re-open it at any time.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.