Versatile in pre-sale

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Versatile in pre-sale

Post by giancarlo » Thu May 21, 2015 8:05 am

Andyyager10 wrote:Just downloaded the latest version of Versatile, and as soon as I touch a knob it spikes and the audio breaks up. I guess we continue to wait for a good version??
which os and sequencer are you using?
Open versatile xml file using notepad or editor and change mixratecycles to 0 (zero). We'll upload a new installer soon
Open also a ticket, we'll try to reproduce this issue

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Thu May 21, 2015 9:20 am

Andyyager10 wrote:Just downloaded the latest version of Versatile, and as soon as I touch a knob it spikes and the audio breaks up. I guess we continue to wait for a good version??
Send us a support ticket, we are tracking issues that were not reported in beta phase to be solved ASAP.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com

zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by zaminx » Thu May 21, 2015 10:46 am

When will the mastering version be released?

Francesco.Tedeschi
Expert
Expert

Post by Francesco.Tedeschi » Thu May 21, 2015 11:40 am

zaminx wrote:When will the mastering version be released?
Versatile is already a Mastering version, it uses top quality FIR filters with a wide range of sampled frequencies.
Francesco Tedeschi

zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by zaminx » Thu May 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Francesco.Tedeschi wrote:
zaminx wrote:When will the mastering version be released?
Versatile is already a Mastering version, it uses top quality FIR filters with a wide range of sampled frequencies.
On the product page it says the following

Versatile will be issued in bundle containing two versions: Mastering and Standard.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu May 21, 2015 1:43 pm

ah ok now I understand: no we released directly the mastering, because sound quality in core6 was worse at the beginning

We could release later a mix version! decreasing the number of q values

cj01djs
User Level II
User Level II

Post by cj01djs » Thu May 21, 2015 2:38 pm

On OSX 10.9.5 on LOgic X 10.1.0 i canuse only the version of au 32 bits bridged with Sound Radix 32 Lives,the native au 64 don't validated on my system.I had a lot of spikes but after i edited the Mixrate at 12000 and Mixratecycles at 0 it's all good.On Reaper the native au 64 works fine and in Studio One too.

sethius
User Level II
User Level II

Post by sethius » Thu May 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Hey Giancarlo, Ableton Live 9.1.8 64bit crashed yesterday when I was using Versatile 64bit AU. My system is OSX 10.9.5 and my Mac is a 2013 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pro (Black Trash Can). I have 16GB of RAM.

I'm 99% sure Versatile caused the crash as the document was pretty basic and i've never seen this kind of crash before (and my system is extremely stable and almost never crashes). The audio engine just stopped working and the play button wouldn't work, but the program continued to function to some degree. I then tried to save and then Ableton Live hung and stopped responding.

Also the CPU spikes are ridiculous. I have one of the fastest and most modern machines available and with only 1 instance of Versatile the audio crackled every time I moved a knob and continued for a short period after.

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Thu May 21, 2015 3:44 pm

cj01djs wrote:On OSX 10.9.5 on LOgic X 10.1.0 i canuse only the version of au 32 bits bridged with Sound Radix 32 Lives,the native au 64 don't validated on my system.I had a lot of spikes but after i edited the Mixrate at 12000 and Mixratecycles at 0 it's all good.On Reaper the native au 64 works fine and in Studio One too.
Versatile is AU 32 and 64 bits, please send us a support ticket and explain us why you are using a 3rd party AU architecture adapter.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu May 21, 2015 4:39 pm

sethius wrote:Hey Giancarlo, Ableton Live 9.1.8 64bit crashed yesterday when I was using Versatile 64bit AU. My system is OSX 10.9.5 and my Mac is a 2013 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pro (Black Trash Can). I have 16GB of RAM.

I'm 99% sure Versatile caused the crash as the document was pretty basic and i've never seen this kind of crash before (and my system is extremely stable and almost never crashes). The audio engine just stopped working and the play button wouldn't work, but the program continued to function to some degree. I then tried to save and then Ableton Live hung and stopped responding.

Also the CPU spikes are ridiculous. I have one of the fastest and most modern machines available and with only 1 instance of Versatile the audio crackled every time I moved a knob and continued for a short period after.

about the spikes: try mixratecycles to zero
It seems like on au the spikes are a lot more than planned:

- cpu load should be a lot less than Core5 architecture
- but during knob tuning it should be a bit more than Core5 for a short period of time.

I explain what happens: when you move a control the prog rate switches to MIXRATE and lasts for MIXRATECYCLES. So in your case you can increase MIXRATE (for example 100000) and decrease cycles. This is a temporary solution, the best one is disabling it at all (you can remove both MIXRATE and MIXRATECYCLES tags or set MIXRATECYCLES to zero).
We implemented MIXRATE in order to improve responsiveness of Core6 and it seems on many systems it works pretty well, but we received 3-4 complains here and all of the are linked to AU, so we'll investigate further.

On logic validation we'll check it further, apparently it is the only plugin which does not validate now

About the crash we don't have a clue, but it is possible that high cpu load while moving parameters could affect overall stability, here my suggestion

Open also a ticket, so we can collect details about various issues and work on them!