Where is the Ivory trial?

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
User avatar
heraldo_jones
User Level IX
User Level IX
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: Where is the Ivory trial?

Post by heraldo_jones » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:43 pm

Still no Ivory trial. I mostly want to test it to see how much resources does it take.
___________________________________________________________________
HERALDO JONES / Mixing & mastering engineer
http://worldpremiereeg.com/ / Online Mixing & Mastering services

User avatar
jfjer379
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1166
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Re: Where is the Ivory trial?

Post by jfjer379 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:16 pm

although i have the Ivory my self , it would be nice with a ivory trial for those who dont have it,

so they can run it against Scarlet and see what they prefer sound vice and cpu vice since they both are inspired by the same HW sontec

as scarlet dont run that well on many system and is a cpu hog on specially older systems like intel 3rd gen and lower

Scarlet was unusable on my system with huge spikes in one instance hehe so im very happy i got Ivory

i think Ivory is a good choice for those who want a good clean surgical eq that doesn't eat too much CPU :)
Ivory get used quite a lot in my projects

but according to users Scarlet has a more open and pristine sound than Ivory

im gonna beg support for a new trial when i upgrade my computer to skylake so i can hopefully finally try the Scarlet and hear how it actually sound :)
with the Skylake 6700k im also gonna demo the White for the first time :)

Cheers
I7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory3 • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • Titanium2 • White2 • N3s • N4

User avatar
heraldo_jones
User Level IX
User Level IX
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: Where is the Ivory trial?

Post by heraldo_jones » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:04 pm

[email protected] wrote: as scarlet dont run that well on many system and is a cpu hog on specially older systems like intel 3rd gen and lower

Scarlet was unusable on my system with huge spikes in one instance hehe so im very happy i got Ivory

i think Ivory is a good choice for those who want a good clean surgical eq that doesn't eat too much CPU :)
I just tried the Scarlett trial and it takes around 25% of cpu at 44.1khz in my Mac Pro 4.1 Intel Xeon W3520 (1st Gen i7), the DSPBuffer trick doesn't improve it but I can live with it for my mastering tasks. I need to say that is awesome how warm it sounds and how can handle the low end. :D

Do the Ivory eat less resources then?
___________________________________________________________________
HERALDO JONES / Mixing & mastering engineer
http://worldpremiereeg.com/ / Online Mixing & Mastering services

User avatar
jfjer379
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1166
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Re: Where is the Ivory trial?

Post by jfjer379 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:04 pm

heraldo_jones wrote:
[email protected] wrote: as scarlet dont run that well on many system and is a cpu hog on specially older systems like intel 3rd gen and lower

Scarlet was unusable on my system with huge spikes in one instance hehe so im very happy i got Ivory

i think Ivory is a good choice for those who want a good clean surgical eq that doesn't eat too much CPU :)
I just tried the Scarlett trial and it takes around 25% of cpu at 44.1khz in my Mac Pro 4.1 Intel Xeon W3520 (1st Gen i7), the DSPBuffer trick doesn't improve it but I can live with it for my mastering tasks. I need to say that is awesome how warm it sounds and how can handle the low end. :D

Do the Ivory eat less resources then?
i dont know is it was a bug that is causing the spike but probably yes(a bug)
on my mac mini late 2012 I7 2,2ghz
if scarlet was without a bug since your computer is a little faster that mine, i would guess it would probably be around 30% cpu(just a guess)
many users has claimed Scarlet and White to be CPU hogs
no one has ever called Ivory a CPU hog


i just did a test with Ivory 2 (44,1) and can confirm that Ivory is not a big CPU hog at all
i can run 10 of them in Logic pro x with everything engaged
including the preamp on a stereo track on master with no glitches in the audio
when i went above 10 instances audio was glitching a little

that is really not bad because with Navy
12 instances is the limit on my old mac with no other plugins running, and 12 is the limit with Honey

the solution for cpu hogs is of course to upgrade to a I7 5ft or 6th generation CPU at this point in time and newer look back
then we can enjoy all aqua`s with no concern

i still have to save up for that beast im gonna build hehe
so in the meantime Ivory is great,
and i always liked the sound of it anyway
so getting Scarlet for me is about getting a different flavor
not retire my beloved Ivory hehe

but Acustica should really get out a trial of it now since its been upgraded to V2 and its working fine even on mac
Come on Acustica , let the guys try the Ivory :D
I7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory3 • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • Titanium2 • White2 • N3s • N4

User avatar
heraldo_jones
User Level IX
User Level IX
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: Where is the Ivory trial?

Post by heraldo_jones » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:34 am

[email protected] wrote:
the solution for cpu hogs is of course to upgrade to a I7 5ft or 6th generation CPU at this point in time and newer look back
then we can enjoy all aqua`s with no concern
From what I'm testing, Acustica plugins really work better with high clocked cpus. A friend of mine have my same machine but with the W3580 (4x3.33ghz, mine is 4x2.66ghz, both 1st gen Xeon i7) and it performs better than a friend's 3rd gen i7 clocked at 4x2.4ghz. I'm seriously thinking on upgrading to a W3680 (6x3.33ghz) or W3690 (6x3.46ghz).
___________________________________________________________________
HERALDO JONES / Mixing & mastering engineer
http://worldpremiereeg.com/ / Online Mixing & Mastering services

User avatar
basaristudios
Expert
Expert
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:09 am
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Where is the Ivory trial?

Post by basaristudios » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:21 am

All plugins need more Clock speed then cores.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.

User avatar
jfjer379
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1166
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Re: Where is the Ivory trial?

Post by jfjer379 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:26 am

i will say that either I7 5820K or skylake 6700k is the best bang for the buck at this point in time
i would not buy a CPU that is less than a 5th gen I7

the skylake can be easily overclocked to 4,8 ghz with a decent cpu cooler

the reason i consider skylake over I7 5820K
is much cheaper motherboards so i can afford my upgrade sooner
if it was a contest between them i think I7 5820K would take the win but i still think the skylake will be close enough because of higher clock speeds and breathe in the I7 5820K`s neck :mrgreen:
I7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory3 • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • Titanium2 • White2 • N3s • N4

Post Reply