This EQ is phenomenal

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
Ermz
User Level I
User Level I

This EQ is phenomenal

Post by Ermz » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:38 am

Just want to strongly congratulate you guys for this amazing plug-in. As with prior Nebula programs, it actually makes you feel the 'magic' of analogue, as opposed to needing marketing hyperbole to make the user believe it.

It basically lives on my master bus, and key busses across my mixes now. I recently used it on my entry into the Boz Labs mix competition, which some of you might be interested in: https://soundcloud.com/ermin-hamidovic/ ... -comp-ermz

All the best, and amazing job!

AndreaZanini
User Level III
User Level III

Re: This EQ is phenomenal

Post by AndreaZanini » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:39 am

Nice job! And nice song too. Well done.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:31 pm

:)

dacaveprods

Post by dacaveprods » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:03 pm

Which EQ if u don't mind...

mtalavera

Post by mtalavera » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:15 pm

dacaveprods wrote:Which EQ if u don't mind...
I was wondering the same thing initially until I realized this post has been opened in the Ivory IAE-2 section, so I'm assuming it is that EQ he is referring to.

dacaveprods

Post by dacaveprods » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:37 am

mtalavera wrote:
dacaveprods wrote:Which EQ if u don't mind...
I was wondering the same thing initially until I realized this post has been opened in the Ivory IAE-2 section, so I'm assuming it is that EQ he is referring to.
Lol... Ok Thanx!!!

Ermz
User Level I
User Level I

Post by Ermz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:37 pm

Yes, I'm referring to the Ivory. The Mammoth is fantastic as well, though I find the Ivory is a little more 'neutral' and applicable to a wider array of sources.

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:02 pm

well i use more and more just the standard eqs from nebula 3 pro :) I often use them instead of magenta, orange, eqp1 and silk^^ nebula pro 3 is just more stable to my six core cpu and does sound even better for my ears. There is one which has an amazing air band. After magenta 2 came out i did'nt use it again. For me it sounds everytime wired in the highs... for example the 12khz band are a bit wired in shelving mode.

But i sometimes use Honey EQ (guitars) and Blue EQ (Overheads). These two sound good.

I should test the ivory someday.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

Ermz
User Level I
User Level I

Post by Ermz » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Should mention that the only drawback to this EQ is that it seems very slow to respond to movements on the controls. It often seems to take around a second or so for any adjustment to actually be reflected by the sound coming out of the monitors.

I'd have put this down to some soft/hardware anomaly, however I recently tried both the 32-bit instance on Cubase 6, running on my old computer, and also the 64-bit instance running on a brand new computer, with a new version of Cubase 8 too.

Using this plug-in makes it feel like the buffer size is set way higher than it actually is.

botus99
Expert
Expert

Post by botus99 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Hey Ermz. You should be able to edit Ivory's XML file so that the DSPBUFFER setting is lower than stock. Obviously, this is at the expense of higher CPU usage. I honestly wouldn't recommend it outright, but it may be worth a shot. Also, I may be stating the obvious here, but whenever I start stacking Nebula instances across a mix (especially on the same track/chain), the latency builds up pretty quick. So, if you're stacking Ivory on busses and the master fader, latency may be a "necessary evil" to deal with for the time being.

I've become more than used to it and have incorporated it into my usual workflow without problems, but I can understand your concern.

Also, I wanted to give you a quick thanks. You were THE guy that made me want to start using Nebula years back in the Sneap forum! Thousands of dollars/libaries later, I regret nothing and I feel that I owe you some gratitude haha.
Win10 / Reaper / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM | ZED-R16 / Digi003 (Revive modded)
N4 - Orange, Blue, Purple, Pearl, Diamond, Ebony, Gold, Navy, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral, Cobalt, Lemon

Ermz
User Level I
User Level I

Post by Ermz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:05 am

Small world, botus! You're very welcome. Thanks a heap for the XML advice. I'll have to tweak around a little.

botus99
Expert
Expert

Post by botus99 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Ermz wrote:Small world, botus! You're very welcome. Thanks a heap for the XML advice. I'll have to tweak around a little.
No problem, hope it helps! Small world indeed haha
Win10 / Reaper / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM | ZED-R16 / Digi003 (Revive modded)
N4 - Orange, Blue, Purple, Pearl, Diamond, Ebony, Gold, Navy, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral, Cobalt, Lemon

Pro5
User Level V
User Level V

Post by Pro5 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 am

Ermz wrote:Should mention that the only drawback to this EQ is that it seems very slow to respond to movements on the controls. It often seems to take around a second or so for any adjustment to actually be reflected by the sound coming out of the monitors.

I'd have put this down to some soft/hardware anomaly, however I recently tried both the 32-bit instance on Cubase 6, running on my old computer, and also the 64-bit instance running on a brand new computer, with a new version of Cubase 8 too.

Using this plug-in makes it feel like the buffer size is set way higher than it actually is.
FYI I get this in Honey too, but curiously not in an older demo version (I updated it via support due to crackles on knob turning when my cpu was over 50% it fixed THAT but introduced that laggy sound update you speak of).

The problem is with this it's not SO usable as a C-strip or realtime EQ anyway, because you overshoot the freq/gain you really need because you are hearing it delayed by 1/2 to 1 second! I've lowered DSP buffers as usual but it still does it, if I go any lower (256... 128?) I'd be lucky to run more than 2 instances :lol:

When the acqua controls respond smoothly to my midi knob pots (real pots not stepped encoders) they sound/feel great, like hardware! when they don't they feel like just a 'fancy nebula instance' (which, ok they are) but if that can't be relied on then why not just use nebula and much cheaper libs if workflow and latency and that scientific 'set the bands' approach is needed compared to the musical workflow the acqua eqs are meant to bring.

I admit I'm only on an i7 2700k (albeit overclocked to 4.4ghz).. and I will upgrade in the near future.

I run at 88.2k with 1024-2048 audio buffer (not xml/dsp thing) on my MR816 interface while using Acqua plugs (anything lower like my normal 320-512 is too little for my system with a few acquas). My audio buffer may be contributing to this laggy problem of course, and maybe even my samplerate as it seems most testing is focused on 44.1 and 96k! [ 88.2khz is the new black btw - a nice all rounder SR and closer to the ideal 60k ]