Ivory IAE-2

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
mushanokoji
User Level 0
User Level 0

Ivory IAE-2

Post by mushanokoji » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:39 am

Hi guys
I'm really impressed of quality of masalec eq in digital domain.
I had opportunity testing hardware Prism Sound Masalec and software on Mick Guzauski speakers, and results was fantastic.
I dont know how guys from Acustica Audio put in that fantastic 3D sound in that plugin, but I have to say, it's good like one of the most beautiful plugin on that planet :)
And I have to say, that eq of course is transparent, but is better that the most of UAD eq.
Right now I'm using it on everything, the most of times not for eq,
I'm only sending material only thru signal path of Ivory.
Fantastic 3D sound.
For 3D I'm using Thermionic Phoenix, M****y VariMu, A*I etc.
but now that plug give me another dimension of sound.
It's no sound exactly like Prism Sound Masalec MEA-2, but is very, very close.

I recomend that plug for everyone.

The test was on:
UAD apollo silver face
Mick Guzauski speakers
Antelope 10m for the best clocking :)

tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Ivory IAE-2

Post by tumburu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:12 pm

How did you find it with the preamp section on and off, compared to the HW?

alba63
User Level I
User Level I

Post by alba63 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Ok, just having fallen in love with the Nebula/ Aqua sound, in a moment of weakness I bought the Ivory IAE-2 Eq a few days ago.
I am in not half as experienced as some guys here, so all I say is my personal impression. I have mixed with a quite good analog desk in the past (Soundcraft Ghost), but never used external Eq hardware... I also don't own UAD cards and can't compare with that either.

However, it is not difficult to say that the sound of the Ivory is amongst the most musical EQs I have heard, software or hardware. Both subtle (for me: up to 1,5db) and more extreme boosts or cuts always sound good in the musical context, the only EQ I have, that comes close is the Modern flagship EQ library for Nebula which is also extremely musical. Just not as convenient to use in it's Nebula library form.

Since I own and learn to know the Nebula/ Aqua plugins and libraries, most of my software EQs have lost their appeal, my most used having been Equilibrium. They sound ok and in the mix when used carefully they certainly get the job done. But compared to the Nebula/ Aquda sound something is missing, it is clearly in a different league. The only drawback being the ease of use (or lack of...).

However I have a general question: I use Ableton and using Nebula/ Aqua plugins introduces a very high latency, I'd say in the realm of 30-40ms at least and even when the plugin is switched out - enough that is is present (Ableton seems to calculate latency in even when switched off).

So if I don't do anything wrong, that means that playing the keyboard is almost impossible - so for now I work with regular plugins and EQs till the important musical substance is there, then for finetune the mix, the arrangement etc, I then switch to Nebula.

Question (didn't find a subforum that seems to be suited for this general kind of questions):

Is there a way to avoid the crazy latency times?

Thanks
Bernie

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:19 pm

alba63 wrote:Is there a way to avoid the crazy latency times?
You can get it lower by lowering your DAW's buffer settings, but it is unrealistic to expect to ever get near real-time use with nebula/Acqua...for now. I have heard rumors that this may be improving as Acustica continues development and reaching forward still...but only rumors and no idea if/when. I have adjusted my work-flow over the years to accommodate this and don't start using Nebula/Acqua stuff until I am in the mix phase of a project. I also max out my buffer settings to get all of the juice my i7 can muster!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:29 pm

alba63 wrote:Ok, just having fallen in love with the Nebula/ Aqua sound, in a moment of weakness I bought the Ivory IAE-2 Eq a few days ago.
I am in not half as experienced as some guys here, so all I say is my personal impression. I have mixed with a quite good analog desk in the past (Soundcraft Ghost), but never used external Eq hardware... I also don't own UAD cards and can't compare with that either.

However, it is not difficult to say that the sound of the Ivory is amongst the most musical EQs I have heard, software or hardware. Both subtle (for me: up to 1,5db) and more extreme boosts or cuts always sound good in the musical context, the only EQ I have, that comes close is the Modern flagship EQ library for Nebula which is also extremely musical. Just not as convenient to use in it's Nebula library form.

Since I own and learn to know the Nebula/ Aqua plugins and libraries, most of my software EQs have lost their appeal, my most used having been Equilibrium. They sound ok and in the mix when used carefully they certainly get the job done. But compared to the Nebula/ Aquda sound something is missing, it is clearly in a different league. The only drawback being the ease of use (or lack of...).

However I have a general question: I use Ableton and using Nebula/ Aqua plugins introduces a very high latency, I'd say in the realm of 30-40ms at least and even when the plugin is switched out - enough that is is present (Ableton seems to calculate latency in even when switched off).

So if I don't do anything wrong, that means that playing the keyboard is almost impossible - so for now I work with regular plugins and EQs till the important musical substance is there, then for finetune the mix, the arrangement etc, I then switch to Nebula.

Question (didn't find a subforum that seems to be suited for this general kind of questions):

Is there a way to avoid the crazy latency times?

Thanks
Bernie
Split production and post-production in two diferent phase, latency in post-production is not critical. CORE6 Acqua Effect has less latency but putting several ones in serial will create a not useful latency for production.

About variable ADC, Nebula and Acqua support it but we are not using it due several audio/video host support it but other not.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com

jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Post by jfjer379 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:45 am

i don't remember if i have asked this question before but was some other things improved in ivory 2 apart from the added ZL which i really love in all Acustica products now that im so used to it :)
I7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory3 • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • Titanium2 • White2 • N3s • N4