Aquamarine

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
mtalavera

Re: Aquamarine

Post by mtalavera » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:20 am

Barendse wrote: So you hit the needle at 0. I've tried the same but then I get 3dB gr on a full mix leaving the treshold at the lowest setting. Then I only can reduce the gr by using the mix button.

Here's a video using the default trim settting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9LKs7w8CKs
True, I do get gain reduction registering even with the lowest threshold settings now that I think about it further based on your comment. I happen to like that as a starting point for me with Aquamarine, but I will try out leaving the input trim at the default setting and adjusting the threshold settings and see how this beauty behaves. Thank you for posting the video about usage as well.

Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Barendse » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:58 pm

mathias wrote:yes, the inputtrim is a great option in aquamarine!

remember, when you find yourself cranking up the threshold to the highest to get some compressionaction, bring the level up with the inputtrim, so you work more in the middle of the threshold range.
So this is the trick? This makes sense. There's also a nice reading in the mastering tutorial about the marine.

mightymosaic

Post by mightymosaic » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:47 am

Barendse wrote:
mathias wrote:yes, the inputtrim is a great option in aquamarine!

remember, when you find yourself cranking up the threshold to the highest to get some compressionaction, bring the level up with the inputtrim, so you work more in the middle of the threshold range.
So this is the trick? This makes sense. There's also a nice reading in the mastering tutorial about the marine.
Yup i just put this to the test and it made a WORLD of a difference. Brand new compressor for me now

theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X

Post by theheliosequence » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:55 pm

What are the chances of us seeing a dual mono option of this in the future? Or has anyone successfully done something with say, Blue Cat's Patchwork to create this effect?

Still loving this guy and can't wait for more Acqua comps!
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, N3S/N4, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Black Series, Blue, Cobalt, Coral, Diamond, Ebony, Emerald, Gold, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lemon, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp, Purple, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White

nonstandardryder

Post by nonstandardryder » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:06 pm

cant wait for this in core 6. :)

Phelix

Post by Phelix » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Looking very much forward to C6,

But what's the status on this?:
by giancarlo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:56 pm
it is official: we'll introduce external sidechain
and this??:
by meloco » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:20 pm
The original has auto-release, so is it implemented here as well?

by giancarlo » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:06 pm
yes there will be
Ableton⎜Studio One⎜Reaper⎜VST2⎜macOS10.13⎜[email protected]/32GB⎜RME ADI-2 Pro⎜ATC

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:10 pm

external sidechain already works in many sequencers.
For example in cubase: engage a quadro channel for that. Automatically you'll be able to use sidechaining.

About autorelease: it is already implemented in Aquamarine.

Phelix

Post by Phelix » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:03 pm

"giancarlo"]external sidechain already works in many sequencers.
For example in cubase: engage a quadro channel for that. Automatically you'll be able to use sidechaining.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I would love to know what sequencers working under MacOS, that can handle direct routing to AM key-signal input. Perhaps someone who’s got ext. sidechain working with plain routing under OSX can give a hint? I hope not BlueCat Patchwork or DDMF Metaplug, is the only way to go :-o
About autorelease: it is already implemented in Aquamarine.
I understand, though I’m not really sure of how auto-release is implemented, can you elaborate on this?

Is it the Opto-section that has a dynamic release, and then, when 'Dual’ is set, the Discrete-section follows that same timing? What happens on Dual setting if Opto section is bypassed?
Ableton⎜Studio One⎜Reaper⎜VST2⎜macOS10.13⎜[email protected]/32GB⎜RME ADI-2 Pro⎜ATC

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:15 pm

discrete is a different and way more complex beast and it implements autorelease in higher release settings (if I remember well they are labelled as "dual").
This kind of autorelease is a "real autorelease", and it depends on the charge time (how long compression lasts). So once the audio source was compressed for a particular amount of time the behaviour will change, and will not depend on the actual discharge state.

Opto does not implement autorelease in this way (at least not following this "complex" implementation, it just changes timings cause different instantaneous level reached by the envelope follower, so the actual discharge state).

Autorelease implemented in Discrete is in general achieved by 2 different capacitors so that a quick charge time (a fast transient) is released faster (so removes spikes) than a long charge time (when you have an heavy compression, so you need to release slower in order to minimize distortion).

Phelix

Post by Phelix » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation:)
If I understand correct, I think it is good to know, that the differentiated complexity in the sections and the autorelease (dual setting) will be independently effective. If one section is bypassed, it will not affect the other and vice versa.

mightymosaic

Post by mightymosaic » Mon May 04, 2015 2:31 am

I cant get over how absolutely phenomenal this compressor sounds! Its a staple on the drum bus and the master. You guys out did yourself!

Mplay

Post by Mplay » Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 am

I've been trying to get the external sidechain to work in Reaper(windows). I'm sending the sidechain to channel 3/4 which works for other compressors, but it's not working. Can anyone help?

himhui
Expert
Expert

Post by himhui » Tue May 05, 2015 10:57 am

Try this, it should be ok...
Snap1.jpg
Xeon E5-2697 v4/Win10 x64/64G ram/ Quadro K620
Reaper 5.974/X-Touch
Prism Orpheus/ RME Babyface Pro

Mplay

Post by Mplay » Tue May 05, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks a million, got it working!

dagovitsj
Expert
Expert

Post by dagovitsj » Tue May 05, 2015 9:48 pm

himhui wrote:Try this, it should be ok...
Snap1.jpg
Thanks, himhui!

By the way, very nice skin for Reaper in your screenshot! What is the name, white tie or something?
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 [email protected] 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |