Titanium (multiband compressor)

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Titanium (multiband compressor)

Post by giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:48 am

kylen wrote:I'm pretty pleased with Titanium. Just put 1B on a master (slow attack/fast release) and it really does a fine job of holding things together when I push a bit of high shelf and bass peak thru it. Everything sounds really fine - no "aural vertigo" like I get with so many other ITB compressors when a spurious peak comes thru. Titanium just hums along doing its thing. Very nice job Mr. G & crew. :)
yes are using for the first time chained envelope followers. So they have a sort of memory inside.
Something new, not present on dsp books ;)
But they are like dragster, very powerful but they lack a proper control
It was the thing I was working on lately

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:54 am

it was a complex decision to take. I asked to betas a night for thinking
I had your exact feelings
At the end I think this was a good decision. It makes happy the biggest audience now. It opens to new possibilities not found in original hardware

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:29 am

In 'defense' of the super-fast :ugeek: I viewed the solution as 'position 1 is the new zero[0]'. ;)

As a mastering engineer, the 'super zero' setting would rarely [if ever] come to play. However, the needs by others were not to be ignored, thus expanding the base.

Philosophically :o I wondered ... since previous Nebula compressors were often criticized for not being able to perform decisively at 'instantaneous zero', the 'Pandora' that was innocently released became a klammer of eureka to newly discovered Nebula power ... which of course leads to 'world domination', wine, woman ... and, ...... song. :mrgreen:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

filterfilter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by filterfilter » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:47 am

I am so happy you implemented the superfast attack. I think the relatively slower attack of the original unit would have been a disappointment to me. I use it for mixing electronic music an love to squash transients on many sources

Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Post by Hannes_F » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:02 am

giancarlo wrote: yes yes exactly, it goes very quickly there. But there was not any space left
Here the description

0 - supercompressor
1 - attack 0
1.5 (the point displayed) - attack 1
2 - attack 2
3 - attack 3
4 - attack 4
5 - attack 5
Hi there, I like the superfast option too. Thinking about it perhaps one could design the attack knob with one of these options:

0 - supercompressor
0.5 - attack 0
1.25 - attack 1
2 - attack 2
3 - attack 3
4 - attack 4
5 - attack 5

The reason is that the 0 is very reproducable anyways, we don't necessarily need a full tick to find it.

Alternatively you could perhaps make a knob with 7 ticks like this:

0 - supercompressor
1 - attack 0
2 - attack 1
3 - attack 2
4 - attack 3
5 - attack 4
6 - attack 5

Suggestions ...

Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Post by Hannes_F » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:58 am

... and after even more thinking about it perhaps this would be the most logical and consistent solution (if it is possible): You could make the knob turnable by 330° by adding a little range of 30° below the center (indicated by the arrow in the pic). That way it would be

- compatible with the hardware
- smooth range in the first sampled attack area
- easy to find the superfast setting
- also hinting to the fact that the superfast setting is an 'extra' compared to the hardware
TT_attack.jpg
TT_attack.jpg (4.35 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
You could even make that hint stronger by using a different color for that dot, for example red or blue.
TT_attack2.jpg
TT_attack2.jpg (4.3 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
Forgive the clumsy pics, I am no designer, just thinking as a user here.

Andrums
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Andrums » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:49 pm

It would be nice to add detector HP filter for 1B to cover any bus compressor duties

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:11 pm

yes - about red section - we planned for black but this products was to close to its release when beta asked it.

Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Post by Hannes_F » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:28 pm

After some more testing let me say congratulations to the whole team. This is a first grade compressor and I am sure it will go through the audio world and introduce the Nebula technology to a much broader target group now. It is not only first notch soundwise but also in terms of behaviour, installation process and design. Acustica Audio has come a long way with this and I hope this will be the beginning of a even wider breakthrough.

I think it is also very good that you combine the sonic properties of hardware with some extensions: bigger treshold, faster attack. Now I am doing orchestral music for classic and film, and in case you want to make the compressor even more interesting for that target group here comes one more suggestion: Could you perhaps extend the compression rate to the soft side towards 1:1.25 and 1:1.0?

This is why:
1. Very mild compression is ideal for treating orchestral music, for tracking, for group busses and for mastering. 1:1.25 would be a real asset, at least for my work.
2. With 1:1.0 it would be possible for example to use the multiband compressor for taming the high mids (which can be piercing) only in the loud passages, for example with 1:1.25 @ -10db while the lows and the highs remain untouched (1:1.0), similar to a dynamic EQ. I hope I explained this well.

Anyways, thank you for this great compressor, and thank you for listening.

Hannes

PS.: If the extension to 1:1.0 were a paid upgrade, perhaps together with a redesign for the attack knob, I would gladly be in for it.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:48 pm

thank you for you feedback, it is very appreciated.
Btw I'm following you on facebook

For a simple issue of backward compatibility we'll not modify the actual version, people is already using. Anyway I'll take in account your suggestions for next products.