Magenta 3 this friday

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Magenta 3 this friday

Post by giancarlo » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:31 pm

we checked it and Q labels are correct here

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:05 am

Magenta EQ has a type of 'vari-Q'.

As you change the bandwidth [Q] the gain will change.

i.e.: As you sharpen/tighten the Q, the gain will rise, and as you widen the Q, gain will lower.

This is one of the beauties of this EQ. Also, being a 'passive' design the way the entire spectrum is affected [level-wise] is also part of its' great design.

hope this quick tip helps.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by lbhms » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:10 am

RJHollins wrote:Magenta EQ has a type of 'vari-Q'.

As you change the bandwidth [Q] the gain will change.

i.e.: As you sharpen/tighten the Q, the gain will rise, and as you widen the Q, gain will lower.

This is one of the beauties of this EQ. Also, being a 'passive' design the way the entire spectrum is affected [level-wise] is also part of its' great design.

hope this quick tip helps.
Thanks RJ, I think this is what I'm hearing and is what initially confused me - so it's probably working as expected. The sound appears to get thinner the narrower the band as it's cutting more dB (when I have the gain set to maximum cut).

I've not found much use from really wide cuts before using other EQ's - but I'm really liking them in Magenta (as it seems I've been using them thinking the cuts were narrower) :mrgreen:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:51 am

Glad it help.

Magenta [and the design it is derived from] is such a powerful 'shaping' equalizer, and why it's favored in mastering.

It seems so deceptively 'simple' in function. :roll:
Study how these Q controls play, is well worth the time invested. It is a 'man-ly' tool, and should possible come with an 'adult supervision' label. :P Some click with it right away, while others don't connect at first go and avoid it.

M-3 does seem to sound even better than the earlier releases. I'm not certain exactly why I feel/hear it that way. Regardless, it is near the top 'First Call' equalizer for my mastering work.
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by lbhms » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:25 am

Well - you've encouraged me to go away and read the manual for the original hardware. Very interesting read - and although I'm aware not everything applies to Magenta (the band interaction) - I have learnt quite a bit - and now understand more clearly how the Q (or bandwidth knob) affects the gain boost or cut. It even states that a narrow band gives more drastic results which explains what I'm hearing and why I was getting confused.

I really need to RTM more often! :geek:

Thanks again.

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:31 am

Yesterday i tried out the filters ... had only short time... the high cut worked very good as i saw in analyzer. I think the Preamp sounds the same as magenta2 and has a very significant high boost. I think for that it should go very early onto the master...the new red gui i like more. It seems and feels as if there is somethinf new in the gui... nebula4? :)
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

nverxion

Post by nverxion » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:58 pm

I also like the red color more in the GUI, however I think it looks better in the cg product shots than it does the DAW. I think if it were just a little less saturated it would sit fine and feel more like an Acqua. I'm having this issue with Green more so than Magenta. Green3 just feels like it's made of plastic now. Magenta3 also has this going on but it's not nearly as bad. I really like how the knobs are easy to read but I also miss the intimidating shadows of the first version. It looks flat. All the depth is gone, which is not indicative of the equalizer's 3D sound. It's on the verge of looking like a cheaper plugin, which I do not really associate with Acustica's products.
Azure / Amethyst / AQ3 / Cobalt / Coral / Crimson / Diamond / Emerald / Green / Ivory / Magenta / Navy / Neo / Ochre / Orange / Pearl / Pink / Red / Sand / Scarlet / Tan / Nebula 3 Server

nverxion

Post by nverxion » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Don't get me wrong, I really like how the red sits with the darker greys and blacks. The numbers pop out legibly and everything is clear and not distracting. I just miss the depth of the thing because as a GUI (looking at it straight on from the front) it looks flat and loses the depth you get from the 3/4 cg renders. Personally I'd just add some very subtle top-down shadows like the original and take the saturation down about 5%...
Azure / Amethyst / AQ3 / Cobalt / Coral / Crimson / Diamond / Emerald / Green / Ivory / Magenta / Navy / Neo / Ochre / Orange / Pearl / Pink / Red / Sand / Scarlet / Tan / Nebula 3 Server

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:28 pm

we removed them a bit (shadows) in order to get a polished guy
Each time we release a new product we change, and you know, someone is happy, someone not, this is life!

My personal experience: when they released iphone6 everybody (I know) was describing it like a "samsung" phone. But it's not. When I tried again my old iphone4 I found it "ugly".

ceemusic

Post by ceemusic » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:28 pm

But more importantly why is it red & not Magenta or a shade of purple?
:D
i7 5820k· RAM 32GB DDR4· Int. 1TB HD x3· Int. 500 GB SSD x2· Video HD-5450 1GB· Win 10 x64· RME FF400· Cubase· S1P· Reaper · CbB · VEPro 6· MB32c

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:56 pm

We are reserving cool colors for magenta4 and 5

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:11 pm

:lol:

Phelix

Post by Phelix » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:57 am

giancarlo wrote:Abo the sound: less interpolation errors make the product smoother and less aggressive, you could check improvements using a spectrum analyzer. Shapes, phase, everything is exactly the same. But sometimes there was a mistake introduced by interpolation which could lead to an harsher sound.

I consider magenta one of the the best software tube eq available on the market now, it is the product I show to my friends as first one.
Agree,
Magenta has become an outstanding product!
IMO, the sonics, interpolations, response and functionality is well improved in V3.
Thank you, and Image to the Team!

As with earlier versions, with all bands engaged @ zero-gain, there is a +3dB increase in the upper highs – something to be aware of.

– I think the faceplate mounting holes looks odd and the LED light is too exaggerated. Other graphic elements is nicely done. Anyways, the look will not keep me away from using it :-)
Ableton⎜Studio One⎜Reaper⎜VST2⎜macOS10.13⎜[email protected]/32GB⎜RME ADI-2 Pro⎜ATC

oøt
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by oøt » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:19 am

Hi,
what sample rates does M3 support? Doesn't say in the store.
Sounds great!

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:13 am

oøt wrote:Hi,
what sample rates does M3 support? Doesn't say in the store.
Sounds great!
All 4 sample rates are included with the main release.