Magenta II very soon!

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Magenta II very soon!

Post by giancarlo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:41 am

garry_spectrum wrote:I don't remember if I've brought this to the community's attention yet but anyways I'd like to know if you guys at Acustica have thought of making Magenta sound as close to its big brother as possible by implementing the unique band interaction that derives from the passive design of the unit ?

Another thing would be the inaccurate high frequency boost when all bands are simply turned on. The real unit does have a certain amount of colour when you let the audio just go through the box but yet it is nowhere near being a 5db deviation from the input signal.

Cheers!
we'll do this kind of effort on a product named "Scarlet". They will be two products, sold separately. One of them will implement two different releases, and one is based on parallel interaction among bands. It is a prototype

garry_spectrum
User Level II
User Level II

Post by garry_spectrum » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:35 pm

giancarlo wrote:
garry_spectrum wrote:I don't remember if I've brought this to the community's attention yet but anyways I'd like to know if you guys at Acustica have thought of making Magenta sound as close to its big brother as possible by implementing the unique band interaction that derives from the passive design of the unit ?

Another thing would be the inaccurate high frequency boost when all bands are simply turned on. The real unit does have a certain amount of colour when you let the audio just go through the box but yet it is nowhere near being a 5db deviation from the input signal.

Cheers!
we'll do this kind of effort on a product named "Scarlet". They will be two products, sold separately. One of them will implement two different releases, and one is based on parallel interaction among bands. It is a prototype
Hi Giancarlo,

Thank you for your answer!

I am glad to learn you do have plans on implementing the band interdependencies down the road. However it would be nice to see it done in Magenta as well since it has been marketed and compared to the actual hardware from the start. Or maybe providing a copy of Scarlet to those who actually supported Magenta in the very early stages and purchased it + the mastering add-on pack as a digital implementation of the hardware ? There are many options!

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:36 pm

well... when i put magenta onto the master, turning on all bands, and not using any gain... i hear a difference: a light sheen or something - i don't know exactly what happens... but there is something. Harmonic distortion or whatever. Perhaps giancarlo could say more to this?

Of course you should have a very good acoustic and monitors to hear that. And i guess also the volume pushed into the plugin plays a role...

But i guess also that most people would not hear this minimal colour. And if it is in the mix or not plays not an obvious role. The hardware unit would do much much more - just because of tubes and so on... that shapes the sound.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

garry_spectrum
User Level II
User Level II

Post by garry_spectrum » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:44 pm

flipnaut wrote:well... when i put magenta onto the master, turning on all bands, and not using any gain... i hear a difference: a light sheen or something - i don't know exactly what happens... but there is something. Harmonic distortion or whatever. Perhaps giancarlo could say more to this?

Of course you should have a very good acoustic and monitors to hear that. And i guess also the volume pushed into the plugin plays a role...

But i guess also that most people would not hear this minimal colour. And if it is in the mix or not plays not an obvious role. The hardware unit would do much much more - just because of tubes and so on... that shapes the sound.
When all of the bands are activated the difference "is not subtle" at all.

Actually, here's a quick test you can run in your daw of choice:

- instantiate a pink noise generator (via sinal generator or similar);
- put voxengo span and/or other analyzer on your masterbus;
- notice the smooth distribution of noise across the spectrum;
- put an instance of Magenta on the noise track and activate the bands one by one;
- now look at the analyzer again.

You should be able to see 4-5db of increased top end of 6k and onwards and that is not subtle + the actual hardware does not do that. It is just a mistake in adding filter curves on top of each other as a math function.

Mannymac

Post by Mannymac » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:06 pm

Giancarlo, are there plans on fixing thos so Magenta really behaves like the hardware?

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:11 pm

- put voxengo span and/or other analyzer on your masterbus;
Double FFT measurement is more accurate.

Violet plot is serial and current Magenta topology. Parallel topology was simulated using BC Patchwork and 4 instances of Magenta.
Magentav2SerialVSParallel.jpg
Conclusion: +3 dB is not subtle.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com

flipnautold
Expert
Expert

Post by flipnautold » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:06 pm

hui... thank you for sharing these informations. did not guess that it is so much obvious. Well i think this will be fixed?

And i should think of more acoustic measuries... :)
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:12 pm

flipnaut wrote:hui... thank you for sharing these informations. did not guess that it is so much obvious. Well i think this will be fixed?

And i should think of more acoustic measuries... :)
We are adding routing feature to Acqua Effects, NAT sessions, and Nebula/CORE6, studying the topology before sampling, but our opinion, have both routing possibility is the best option removing analog limitations, making models better.

+4 dB at 31 kHz, will be our dogs mix doctors? :ugeek:
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.

cjperez
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by cjperez » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:19 pm

How's Magenta II coming along?.... I'm sorry.. Just a bit excited.
Intel Core i7 5820k 3.3ghz. 32gigs Ram, Samsung SSD, MSI X99A motherboard, Cubase 8, H******* Mixbus 3.3 & 2.5, Antelope Audio Zen Studio & Yamaha N8 Mixers. Win. 7 64 bit.

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:24 pm

cjperez wrote:How's Magenta II coming along?.... I'm sorry.. Just a bit excited.
I don't understand the question.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.

Mannymac

Post by Mannymac » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:38 pm

He is askign how close we are to the Magenta II release :)

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:55 pm

cjperez wrote:How's Magenta II coming along?.... I'm sorry.. Just a bit excited.
I think tomorrow... let's see...

lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by lbhms » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:12 pm

Great - looking forward to this. What about Green 2??

cjperez
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by cjperez » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:52 am

giancarlo wrote:
I think tomorrow... let's see...
Nice. looking forward to it.
Intel Core i7 5820k 3.3ghz. 32gigs Ram, Samsung SSD, MSI X99A motherboard, Cubase 8, H******* Mixbus 3.3 & 2.5, Antelope Audio Zen Studio & Yamaha N8 Mixers. Win. 7 64 bit.

garry_spectrum
User Level II
User Level II

Post by garry_spectrum » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:52 am

Giancarlo,

I'd love to read your feedback in regards to my latest enquiry about Magenta having a number of deviations from the hardware it is replicating, your marketing statements and eventually ways and means of solving those issues.

Should I be opening an official tech support ticket on the issue ?

Kindly -

Garry