Magenta eq release D

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
ioan
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Magenta eq release D

Post by ioan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:53 pm

watching the curve of the eq I think that the problem relays on how the gain acts, I think that the amount of gain change is huge even with small cuts/boosts, another thing that could be leading to error is that the interface reads + 11 dbs (on top) but the amount of gain added is almost double (+20 db)...

A fix would be great for this as for me makes the eq almost useless. I wish I could demoed this before I bought it

dacaveprods

Post by dacaveprods » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:29 pm

ioan wrote:watching the curve of the eq I think that the problem relays on how the gain acts, I think that the amount of gain change is huge even with small cuts/boosts, another thing that could be leading to error is that the interface reads + 11 dbs (on top) but the amount of gain added is almost double (+20 db)...

A fix would be great for this as for me makes the eq almost useless. I wish I could demoed this before I bought it
Post examples plz, Thanx!!!

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:59 am

ioan wrote:watching the curve of the eq I think that the problem relays on how the gain acts, I think that the amount of gain change is huge even with small cuts/boosts, another thing that could be leading to error is that the interface reads + 11 dbs (on top) but the amount of gain added is almost double (+20 db)...

yes exactly, I told you
But it is a matter of control
It is a thing we fixed in amber and green - so gain values are carefully mapped
Anyway, correctly mapped or not, they are samples, apart this mapping issue the sound is spot on, obviously

ioan
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by ioan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:23 pm

are you planning on fix this on magenta as well?

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:39 am

it is possible in a future upgrade.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:49 pm

ok we had time today for checking it.
Even if the unit says '11' it adds 20
There is no mistake on that, sometimes it does that. Btw the mastering unit version (not the sampled one) is labelled '20'. Sometimes this unit adds less. But it is sampled, it is genuine.

About intermediate positions, in this particular case they are correct, because they are based on linear dB, so the middle position adds half gain.
On amber case it was not linear, so we were forced to a software fix for a proper log scale. Amber is way more predictable than magenta, and so for green.

About everyone who says: 'controls are not there', I'm sorry, controls are there
We just checked a peak gain which was exactly +12 at full position, +3 at a quarter and so on

Please note that the fullest position - the knob turned full right is exactly a sample, it cannot be wrong by definition. So if at full position you get 20 instead of 11, it means the hardware was doing it.

It is possible the mastering version of hardware is more accurate, though
Now a couple of answers

- no, we did not plan to sample mastering version in 2015. But who knows. We sampled the 'normal' unit.
- the acqua version will be always better than a nebula release BY DEFINITION, it is an axiom! - the fix on the upper band is an example, but we improved so many things!. We are using techniques not disclosed to any 3rd party developer yet. This research will be used for improving also 3rd party libs too, ad soon as we'll recover from developement costs

Sampling is sampling, but the engine is the most important thing.

Francesco.Tedeschi
Expert
Expert

Post by Francesco.Tedeschi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:13 am

Here an exemple of gain and knob matching of band 2.
As G said the real gain is not 11 but 13dB. Though if we fix knob position to 50% we have 6dB gain so the knob match the value. Testing other band I've found always correct matching except for band 4 boost shelf.
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
Francesco Tedeschi

[email protected]
User Level I
User Level I

Post by [email protected] » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:34 pm

ioan wrote:well phasing its gone but I still find it a bit aggressive with the sound it's a pity that the eq sounds that harsh specially on Hi freqs. when the hardware is quite the opposite :(
Just happened to talk with a sound engineer who has a lot of gear. He told me he had the hardware massiv passiv at some point, but was using it only for the medium because he found the highs harsh...so probably nebula is simply duplicating this behaviour...

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:27 pm

[email protected] wrote:
ioan wrote:well phasing its gone but I still find it a bit aggressive with the sound it's a pity that the eq sounds that harsh specially on Hi freqs. when the hardware is quite the opposite :(
Just happened to talk with a sound engineer who has a lot of gear. He told me he had the hardware massiv passiv at some point, but was using it only for the medium because he found the highs harsh...so probably nebula is simply duplicating this behaviour...
agreed, you cannot please everyone. I like very much the air created by magenta, each eq is really different from on other one (due to the phase and other details!)

garry_spectrum
User Level II
User Level II

Post by garry_spectrum » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:55 pm

In its current version Magenta brightens up the top end (5k onwards) around 3dbs even if all knobs are turned on yet left on their initial positions.

Is this by design ?

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:51 pm

garry_spectrum wrote:In its current version Magenta brightens up the top end (5k onwards) around 3dbs even if all knobs are turned on yet left on their initial positions.

Is this by design ?
yes it is... most of hardware are not exactly linear on the spectrum

david1103
Expert
Expert

Post by david1103 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:11 pm

I was just testing the highs of all the acqua's on my spoken word recordings, and also found magenta sounding a bit harsh. (7th Circle 70's A*I preamp clone with SM57.)

I think the greeneq had the nicest highs, boosting the highest possible frequency with q at 1. Somehow made me think 'professional' or 'television' sounding?!

About to try the new AlexB mastering EQ on the job of adding air to vocals... 1m 25 seconds till download finished :)

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:08 pm

magenta will be updated soon!