Magenta Eq (general discussion)

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
dacaveprods

Re: Magenta Eq

Post by dacaveprods » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:37 am

Just listen...Nice imaging on the Magenta, more sense of space, a polishing of the sound, mid range tamed nicely, bottom seems more centered, defined... there is def a sort of coloring going on...

thesessionguitarist
User Level I
User Level I

Post by thesessionguitarist » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Fantastic !
I hear a big difference between the original file and the processed one. More 3D.
for those who didn't hear: Jump to the section where the full arrangement is playing, not the intro. Everything sits better in the mix.

http://nebula-program-libraries.weebly.com/

dagovitsj
Expert
Expert

Post by dagovitsj » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:04 pm

giancarlo wrote:last thing: the gui is still a work in progress. If there will be delays it will be just for the skin, because I'm still not convinced about it. Samuele (our gui designer) is aware about my feelings.
- I really hope that you focus on a GUI where the numbers are easy to read. You have nailed the sound, no doubt about it - but to me it's very important that I don't get tired in my eyes. From the pictures of the GUI posted here, I think the contrast is too low! Just my opinion ;)
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 [email protected] 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |

dagovitsj
Expert
Expert

Post by dagovitsj » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:09 pm

himhui wrote:Okay, I've just done a demo of combo which includes bass, drum, ac gtr & piano..
I personally felt it subtle but obvious..

https://app.box.com/s/6yo3znhjrbejdvxakqbp
- Thanks, himhui! Very nice demo.

From the graphics it seems to me that you have taken out 3-4 dBs at around 700 Hz with a wide Q and also redused the low end from about 100 Hz. Would you mind posting your exact settings, so I can try to match it with another Nebula EQ to hear the difference?
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 [email protected] 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:54 pm

the actual gui is just a draft, it will be different

dagovitsj
Expert
Expert

Post by dagovitsj » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:56 pm

giancarlo wrote:the actual gui is just a draft, it will be different
- Great! :D

himhui
Expert
Expert

Post by himhui » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:10 am

dagovitsj wrote: - Thanks, himhui! Very nice demo.

From the graphics it seems to me that you have taken out 3-4 dBs at around 700 Hz with a wide Q and also redused the low end from about 100 Hz. Would you mind posting your exact settings, so I can try to match it with another Nebula EQ to hear the difference?
Hi dagovitsj,

Though I haven't tried other neb or acqua EQ to compare, I think it'll be interesting.

Here you go.....

Low shelf was reduced 11db (according to the mark on the magenta eq)at 33hz (GUI shows 22hz which will be fixed) meanwhile I boosted 1DB at 82hz. Actually I was playing around these two position to have the sweet spot for my taste...
Then I boosted 4.7khz with 2db and reduced 560hz by 3-4db with the widest range.
Attachments
1Z9WHJ[P(E]42)D988[ZG2H.jpg
Xeon E5-2697 v4/Win10 x64/64G ram/ Quadro K620
Reaper 5.974/X-Touch
Prism Orpheus/ RME Babyface Pro

dagovitsj
Expert
Expert

Post by dagovitsj » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:18 pm

himhui wrote:
dagovitsj wrote: - Thanks, himhui! Very nice demo.

Hi dagovitsj,

Though I haven't tried other neb or acqua EQ to compare, I think it'll be interesting.

Here you go.....

Low shelf was reduced 11db (according to the mark on the magenta eq)at 33hz (GUI shows 22hz which will be fixed) meanwhile I boosted 1DB at 82hz. Actually I was playing around these two position to have the sweet spot for my taste...
Then I boosted 4.7khz with 2db and reduced 560hz by 3-4db with the widest range.

- Thanks! Very nice to have the settings!

I have tried to match your settings with AlexB Modern White EQ. I used the High Pass Filter instead of the shelf though, and boosted the 82 Hz with 2 dB, instead of your 1 dB settings to match the low end of your Magenta-version.

- My version is not similar - and I didn't expect that either! But I recognized one very interesting thing, at least for half newbies like me... - and that is: This comparison is a good example of the nuances of different Nebula EQs in my view. I think Modern White sounds a little more transparent both in the mids and the highs wheras the Magenta is a little "darker". I think that the Modern White kind of cleanses up some of the mud in the midrange, and I really like the sound - perhaps better than Magenta in this case actually!

Modern White is my favourite EQ
regarding acoustic stuff. It's so transparent and at the same time has a defined low end. Listen to the silky highs in this example (cymbals and sound of the sticks)

And to sum it up:
It's really an ear-opener doing these kind of tests, and I still get very surprised to experience that using only a Nebula EQ on a stereo file can really open it up and make the sound so 3D with depth!

And for the record: I don't want to "spoil the party" regarding the praise for the Magenta EQ - just to point out that Nebula has many colors. And knowing your tools well is perhaps part of stepping up on a higher level regarding mixing and mastering, I think.

I haven't done any scientific level match, only by ear, so perhaps you have to tweak it a notch?

Here you can have a listen: https://app.box.com/s/2zywz9szlbt35xw9qc9t

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:36 pm

the gui will be fantastic ;) stay tuned... really a GREAT product

mightymosaic

Post by mightymosaic » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:48 am

Just pre ordered! super excited about these upcoming releases!

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:50 pm

today we are repeating partially the sampling process because betatesters reported that sometimes frequencies on the gui don't match exactly the frequency boosted. Incredibly the unit is sold in that way, the mistake is gently provided by the hardware developer.

kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by kels » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Incredibly the unit is sold in that way, the mistake is gently provided by the hardware developer.
I have never found any errors on frequencies between the labeled one and the actual one on this device.

But please feel free to send a mail to [removed]. She drives her company with passion just like you do and she's really a great person. I met her once in the AES and, for a CEO, I was really impressed by her disponiblity and enthusiasm.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:45 pm

we measured 1500 Hz instead of 1000 Hz printed on the unit.
We tested it in several ways, the unit is apparently in perfect conditions (there is a mistake on 2 specific bands, and they are not even related among them). The error is constant and replicable, I have the unit in front of me right now.
I even travelled for 250 Km in order to verify personally the mistake, I could not believe that.
Not a big deal since we are emulating an hardware device, and errors like that are a proof of authenticity in the process. At the end of the day we emulate a specific and exact unit, not all possible hardware units produced by the developer.

kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by kels » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:34 pm

At the end of the day we emulate a specific and exact unit, not all possible hardware units produced by the developer.
Yes it is a Quality Control issue. I asked some old engineers here and none of them knew about that. So, I can confirm that it is this specific item only that has this problem. Definitely, their units are not sold that way.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:40 pm

we could argue for a long time, but this unit is doing that.
I guess you go in a shop and you buy it, and it simply does that. And you paid several thousands. The owner does not want to give it back or repair it (I don't have experience of engineers buying an hardware device, checking all frequencies and send immediatly back for assistence if things are not correct, ie they read 1000 and the unit gives 1500).

If we'll find an unit with a better response we'll release an upgrade. It is not a big deal, gml even changes labels if the specific frequency and specific hardware does not match (they write it in their manuals, but it seems all labels are the same). Nothing new here and I don't see a real issue.
Use your ears!