Magenta Eq (general discussion)

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Magenta Eq (general discussion)

Post by giancarlo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:49 pm

We are working on the first Mastering strip channel, “Magenta Eq”.

I know you are all excited about this revolutionary release, that’s why we are sharing some information in advance:

- it is a famous mastering equalizer
- we also modelled the preamp section and proper dynamic harmonic distortion. For this reason, we consider it more as a strip channel than a simple equalizer
- replica is pretty close to the gear it was inspired by, anyway we tried to improve it further, even fixing little imperfections
- here is an early preview:
magenta.png
- we didn't model filters, we'll do it in a further plugin release. Other controls behave like in the original gear which inspired us
- price tag is around 150 eur, which is 3% of the original hardware mastering unit cost
- here an impressive demo

https://app.box.com/s/s53vedvqasz0koqsozoq

We matched hardware and software, simply dialling the same settings on the plug-in. Someone reported that you should increase 1dB in software sample for matching RMS values.
CREDITS: Eric “CoDee” Cody for Polaris Musiq Works

- here are some graphs and further details, so you can understand why we are so excited about this release!

magenta magnitudo for a random setting
magenta magnitudo.png
magenta phase for the example above
magenta phase.png
magenta harmonic distortion for the example above
magenta distortion.png
- if you are curious, here is a short YouTube video on its development:

maniak
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Magenta Eq

Post by maniak » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Giancarlo could you do a screenshot of the setting that you used? It is to process the original signal with other emulations that I have of the same hardware. Thanks! :P

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:21 pm

ok

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:50 pm

100 Hz Boost 5, Q 5, Bell
2k7 Hz Boost 3, Q5, Bell
680 Hz Cut 2, Q 5, Bell
8k2 Hz Boost 4, Q 0, Shelf

few notes
- 680 freq is actually damaged (it was reported) in our beta version. I used a value beside
- original gear features interaction among bands. This is the only reason of imprecision of nebula, since for all other things it can't go wrong (what you sample is what you get, especially for eqs and filters, and original gear is just weakly distorted). It is what bmanic reported in our beta forum when speaking about the unit. We all agree. Anyway it is a general consensus among alpha and betatesters and all people I involved for checking this software: emulation apart, this acqua is unbelievable good, maybe the best digital mastering eq emulation around.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:52 pm

last thing: the gui is still a work in progress. If there will be delays it will be just for the skin, because I'm still not convinced about it. Samuele (our gui designer) is aware about my feelings.

mtalavera

Post by mtalavera » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:07 am

So what does it mean to also have a preamp section in this EQ? I get what a preamp does, when it comes to plugging in a mic and boosting the signal and all, but what purpose does it serve in this EQ?

kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by kels » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:09 am

Hi G,

processed-magenta is 16bits while processed-hardware is 24bits. Why 2 different bitrates ?

Besides, processed-magenta peak+rms left channel is 1db lower. But rms dynamic range of the right channel looks constantly higher by 0.8dB.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:27 am

24 bits: I created it, while the 16 bits one was created by italo directly at drumcode studio. A good sign it is a true test ;) nowdays I think many tests are fake - they process things twice from the hardware.
balance: the hardware one was created processing in stereo, so two different hardware channels, while the software is replicating just one of them

about different results, I repeat also myself, original gear features interactions among bands. In our case they are 4 different instances, while hardaware is merging them slighly.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:31 am

mtalavera wrote:So what does it mean to also have a preamp section in this EQ? I get what a preamp does, when it comes to plugging in a mic and boosting the signal and all, but what purpose does it serve in this EQ?
yes, you have the preamp section inside, so it is part of the modelling: for example distortion is applied just once

kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by kels » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:38 am

24 bits: I created it, while the 16 bits one was created by italo directly at drumcode studio.
you create the 24bits which is labeled hardware ? While DrumCode did the 16bits which labeled Magenta.
sorry, I don't understand :)
Maybe the filename are not correct ?