Acustica releases Cream - a dreamware approach to console modelling!

abuzaynab
User Level VI
User Level VI

Re: Acustica releases Cream - a dreamware approach to console modelling!

Post by abuzaynab » Fri May 11, 2018 10:21 pm

bmanic wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 am
giancarlo wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:47 pm
About true stereo: if you ask to me the effect is completely absent on this kind of console. Crosstalk was measured and neglegible. Crosstalk is the only element which could bring something of channel L to channel R, for instance. It was something in the -100dB ballpark.
So in this case true stereo is overkill, and it would double the resource usage using our technique. We want something to apply to all channels. Now: cpu load is very very low today, and I can confirm it will be LOWER at least on windows side. We'll tell you more about a possible timeframe for this kind of update.
You completely missed the point about stereo. It has absolutely nothing to do with crosstalk or anything else.. it's simply the channel 1 sounds different to channel 2.. thus being able to have channel 1 on LEFT and channel 2 on RIGHT will give a sort of nice floating and wide stereo image to any signal, compared to how it is now where the selected channel goes into both left and right.

So inside CREAM plugin it should be possible to set LEFT and RIGHT inputs/outputs to their own channels. That's what the other company does and that's the main point of their "gimmick".

You can test this yourself any time in Reaper. Two instances of Cream, one for left and one for right, then give them their own line or mic channels. Now compare that to a single instance of cream with a single channel. There is a big difference in sound stage.
You can surely use a Dual Mono instance and choose one channel for the Left and a different channel for the Right? I have just tried it and it works. Does this not solve the problem? Or am i missing something?

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Sat May 12, 2018 5:32 am

robschroeder wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:14 pm
With update version "I" there seems to be a new issue with the compressor standalone plugin.

As soon as compressor B or C is switched on the peak reduction meter returns to -30 and gets stuck there. This happens only to compressor standaloone plugin. Not channel strip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzfdcik86beb5 ... r.mp4?dl=0

Is also reported to support.

/208
I just noticed that Version J000 - 11 May 2018 is available.
Does this fix the standalone compressor meter bug ?
It just says AAX bug fix.

Phelix

Post by Phelix » Sat May 12, 2018 8:31 am

abuzaynab wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:21 pm
bmanic wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 am
giancarlo wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:47 pm
About true stereo: if you ask to me the effect is completely absent on this kind of console. Crosstalk was measured and neglegible. Crosstalk is the only element which could bring something of channel L to channel R, for instance. It was something in the -100dB ballpark.
So in this case true stereo is overkill, and it would double the resource usage using our technique. We want something to apply to all channels. Now: cpu load is very very low today, and I can confirm it will be LOWER at least on windows side. We'll tell you more about a possible timeframe for this kind of update.
You completely missed the point about stereo. It has absolutely nothing to do with crosstalk or anything else.. it's simply the channel 1 sounds different to channel 2.. thus being able to have channel 1 on LEFT and channel 2 on RIGHT will give a sort of nice floating and wide stereo image to any signal, compared to how it is now where the selected channel goes into both left and right.

So inside CREAM plugin it should be possible to set LEFT and RIGHT inputs/outputs to their own channels. That's what the other company does and that's the main point of their "gimmick".

You can test this yourself any time in Reaper. Two instances of Cream, one for left and one for right, then give them their own line or mic channels. Now compare that to a single instance of cream with a single channel. There is a big difference in sound stage.
You can surely use a Dual Mono instance and choose one channel for the Left and a different channel for the Right? I have just tried it and it works. Does this not solve the problem? Or am i missing something?
Yes it a solution, but since the comp is already dual mono it's not as convenient as if the split could be done inside a single adjustable instance, even at the cost of more resources.
However I assume, this approach would challenge the concept and convenience easily to transfer Acqua console emulations into a fixed module-based 24 track mixing environment. Whatever came first, the chicken or the egg.. :-)
Ableton⎜Studio One⎜Reaper⎜VST2⎜macOS10.13⎜[email protected]/32GB⎜RME ADI-2 Pro⎜ATC

robschroeder
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by robschroeder » Sat May 12, 2018 8:32 am

Beatworld wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:32 am
No, it's not fixed. The status of my ticket is also still in "beeing processed".

Phelix

Post by Phelix » Sat May 12, 2018 8:34 am

Beatworld wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:32 am
robschroeder wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:14 pm
With update version "I" there seems to be a new issue with the compressor standalone plugin.

As soon as compressor B or C is switched on the peak reduction meter returns to -30 and gets stuck there. This happens only to compressor standaloone plugin. Not channel strip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzfdcik86beb5 ... r.mp4?dl=0

Is also reported to support.

/208
Never had the comp meter stalling, rel. H, I and J (Reaper/Mac10.13.4)

But, here the latest J-000, still has the pre Tube(1)-type 2 phase shift and elevated high (reported)
Other pre’s and UI elements are fine now.
Ableton⎜Studio One⎜Reaper⎜VST2⎜macOS10.13⎜[email protected]/32GB⎜RME ADI-2 Pro⎜ATC

robschroeder
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by robschroeder » Sat May 12, 2018 8:34 am

abuzaynab wrote:
It's not a problem per se just for the sake of convenience. But as G stated the concept will not be changed and this is ok. Was only a request to avoid this routing stuff - nothing else.

/208
Last edited by robschroeder on Sat May 12, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

robschroeder
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by robschroeder » Sat May 12, 2018 8:37 am

Phelix wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:34 am
But, here the latest J-000, still has the pre Tube(1)-type 2 phase shift and elevated high (reported)
Other pre’s and UI elements are fine now.
For me it seems that the comp issue is Windows only and the Tube phase shift is a macOS problem only as it works here on windows. So maybe would be useful to write which OS is used. If I have time this weekend I will check it on my MacbookAir as my main computer in the studio is a Windows system.

/208

deepwhite
User Level II
User Level II

Post by deepwhite » Sat May 12, 2018 8:49 am

abuzaynab wrote:
hi there i've answered that in a previous post:

1. to save some routing trouble
2. it's hard to tweak 2 software eqs at the same time as one can use both hands with hardwares
3. to have the stereo compressor in dual-mono mode (which we've learned now that it IS in dual-mono so now the trouble is how to make it stereo-link)

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sat May 12, 2018 9:14 am

Everything goes in the modula direction
Basically we prefer simple modules, possibly addressing mono channels for the insert case

Modula was presented a couple of days ago in Milan with Luca Pretolesi, we'll tell you more as soon as we have a bit of time

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Sun May 13, 2018 2:33 am

robschroeder wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:37 am
For me it seems that the comp issue is Windows only and the Tube phase shift is a macOS problem only as it works here on windows. So maybe would be useful to write which OS is used. If I have time this weekend I will check it on my MacbookAir as my main computer in the studio is a Windows system.

/208
What is the best way to check if there is a phase shift problem ?

If you have multiple mics on the same source I get that phase between the mics can be a problem.

But if the source only has one mic used to record it how much of a problem is the phase shift issue ? In this example you only have one mono track.

Likewise, if you only use a preamp on the stereo drum buss but not on any of the individual tracks going to the drum buss is the phase shift issue a problem ??

I ask these questions as I use Mac AU version of Cream and I thought the phase issue in some of the preamps had been fixed but now it looks like the issue may have only been fixed in Windows.

Thanks