Acustica releases Cream - a dreamware approach to console modelling!

deepwhite
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Acustica releases Cream - a dreamware approach to console modelling!

Post by deepwhite » Sat May 05, 2018 10:21 pm

to me the idea of a "true stereo" version can save the users some routing trouble.

of course we can send a stereo track to 2 mono auxes, insert a mono cream in each, and send them both to a stereo aux, so that we can choose different channels in the pre modules, and also get the compressors working in dual-mono mode instead of always in stereo-link mode (as it can only be now).

but we can also "not have to do all that", if the plug-in should have separate channel choices for L & R, and a "link" button in the compressor section.

the stereo track > 2 mono auxes > 1 stereo aux routing is what i did in a project with cream yesterday. it sounds fantastic and i'm grateful that cream arrived just in time. this "true stereo" feature we're asking is just an idea, and it's like "if yes, great; if not, cool" thing.

p.s.: when i was doing that yesterday, one other trouble was tweaking the eqs. with hardwares it's easy with both hands; with plug-ins it's just not.

robschroeder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by robschroeder » Sat May 05, 2018 11:48 pm

deepwhite wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:21 pm
this "true stereo" feature we're asking is just an idea, and it's like "if yes, great; if not, cool" thing.
+1

I personally feel that on true stereo files (like synth pads, drum overheads ...) instances with two CREAM preamps, for each side one) the stereo image gets a little bit wider. And, if only using one bit narrow. It's subtle, maybe I am only imagine it ... don't know. But that's what I feel. Other opinions?

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun May 06, 2018 3:32 am

I repeat the concept, the console doesn't have a crosstalk, so true stereo doesn't fit.
The question could be about stereo instances, in order to save routing capabilities.
Anyway we have other projects and constraints, and we never used the double stereo approach in other strip channels, so we can't modify it today, or in the future because I need cohesion. Logically we use double mono instances for strips, and sometimes stereo instances for bus. Cohesion is very important for other projects.
So I can confirm we'll never, never, never change it any more. We could introduce crosstalk in the future (when it has a meaning) but following completely a different path.
Use mono instances of your computer is powerful enough. This is a minor headache you would have also operating with the real deal

robschroeder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by robschroeder » Sun May 06, 2018 9:05 am

giancarlo wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:32 am
I repeat the concept, the console doesn't have a crosstalk, so true stereo doesn't fit.
Crosstalk is not the only thing for a stereo image. Two different channels trade each audio channel different. This is no secret.
giancarlo wrote:
The question could be about stereo instances, in order to save routing capabilities.
This is what we are asking :).
giancarlo wrote:
Logically we use double mono instances for strips, and sometimes stereo instances for bus. Cohesion is very important for other projects.
This is absolutely logical for all products before CREAM as there was never sampled more than one channel of a certain console in those products. With CREAM you have sampled a complete console with each single channel - and yes, this is beside the NLS of W***s unique. And this is why the idea of routing possibilites came up.
giancarlo wrote:
So I can confirm we'll never, never, never change it any more. We could introduce crosstalk in the future (when it has a meaning) but following completely a different path.
That's absolutely ok - you are the designer of a product and you decide. We can only give ideas and suggestions if they make sense in term of product design is not up to us. As said several times: If possible, super. If not, also ok.
giancarlo wrote:
Use mono instances of your computer is powerful enough. This is a minor headache you would have also operating with the real deal
That's ok!

linkstate
User Level II
User Level II

Post by linkstate » Sun May 06, 2018 9:16 am

I think there should be some clever way to process dual mono (left-right differences) with not two times more power for that. Pretty please.

robschroeder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by robschroeder » Sun May 06, 2018 9:28 am

I remember TimP writing about that the Envelope Follower in Nebula Engine is mono only. As Aqua plugins are basically skinned nebula engines taken together - maybe this could be a reason that it is impossible to build a product like CREAM for dual mono processing. I am not that deep in Nebula programing so don't take my words for written in stone.

Edit: I found the source of where I am talking about: https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/j37/
NOTE: Nebulas evf is mono only, in the case of using saturation on a stereo instance we should create Left and Right instances in program like meta plugin.
/Rob

deepwhite
User Level II
User Level II

Post by deepwhite » Sun May 06, 2018 10:02 am

giancarlo wrote:
Logically we use double mono instances for strips
i too respect the will of the designers. but can we at least ask for the compressor in dual-mono mode, since it IS double-mono-instance now?

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun May 06, 2018 1:16 pm

It would double number of resources (strictly linked to the number of envelope followers), and it would not change the result for mono instances
I have no issues with my i9, I can open hundreds of plugins, but other guys are not so lucky, so we should always consider the best compromise
If you stick to the original console design go mono and you'll have everything as expected.
Also the hardware console forces you to mono

today all our compressors are dual mono, for the exception of envelope follwers. In mastering devices sometimes we implement the stereo link, doubling the cpu load

ceemusic

Post by ceemusic » Mon May 07, 2018 3:21 am

IIRC drag + copy instances to other tracks was not recommended or caused problems & crashes. Is this still the case?

PanaxMix
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by PanaxMix » Mon May 07, 2018 6:06 am

Holy cow this thing looks like it was stored in a beach shed. Are you sure it's safe to use with all this rust and oxidation? :mrgreen: :lol:

kenbobplus3db
User Level X
User Level X

Post by kenbobplus3db » Mon May 07, 2018 10:55 pm

I'm running into a fault on the standalone preamp.

If one tries to use the channel selector tool on Tube2, then the switch to other preamps (Mic, Line, Tube 1) becomes un-reliable, and the channel selector wheel stops working on these other pre-amp models.

Can anybody else confirm this behavior?

Charlie59
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Charlie59 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:16 pm

kenbobplus3db wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:55 pm
I'm running into a fault on the standalone preamp.

If one tries to use the channel selector tool on Tube2, then the switch to other preamps (Mic, Line, Tube 1) becomes un-reliable, and the channel selector wheel stops working on these other pre-amp models.

Can anybody else confirm this behavior?
Yep. Me.

Charlie59
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Charlie59 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:17 pm

...but I'm using the trial, not the paid-for version.

flaviusr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by flaviusr » Mon May 07, 2018 11:57 pm

it was reported in beta forum last week, a fix will come soon.
Dual boot /LGA 2011 /i7 3820 /32 GB /GA-X79S-UP5 / osX 10.9.5 - Win 10
Mac Book Pro 2.4 Ghz / 8 Gb / osX 10.9.5
Prism Sound Lyra 2 - RME-Fireface UCX - Octamic XTC
Nebula 4 Cubase Pro 9.5 Wavelab Pro 9.5 Reaper 5.98 Ozone 9 Pro Tools 12.5

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Tue May 08, 2018 4:22 am

flaviusr wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:57 pm
it was reported in beta forum last week, a fix will come soon.
Excellent news, I had noticed that problem too.
And, as the stand alone pre-amp was the first part of Cream I used after purchase/download, I was a little underwhelmed at the time.
The little wheel thing seems a bit fiddly to me.

Very happy with the results in a mix I finished yesterday.
Using the Tube 1 pre-amp on several channels (bass, guitars, vibes, keys), the EQ on several tracks (bass, guitars), the comp and pre-amp on the drum buss and the pre-amp (Tube 2) on the stereo buss.

Just using the stand alone components, not really a strip guy (with any Acquas).